Husband has motion sickness

kw0575

I only just started cruising last year because I had always gotten sick in cars, trains, and "sunset" type cruises but I gave it a try and now I am hooked on cruising!! I have been on 5 cruises in the past year and on each one I take one non drowsy dramamine about an hour before i board the ship..and one every morning, making sure that no more than 24 hours passes without a pill. I have never gotten sick on the boat...a couple of times when the boat was rocking really bad I felt a little woozy when I was in a forward cabin but it was minor. The key is to not let the symptoms start because once they do, it takes a long time to start feeling better. Always keep the medicine in your system and you should be fine! Take it from one who spent an entire 5 hour sunset cruise with my head in a bucket! Last year I went on a 2 week cruise on a smaller ship than most and had no problem at all! Enjoy!

For a number of people, the rocking motion of the ship gently acclimatizes the brain to the motion of the fluids in the ear and helps to reduce symptoms.

The reason people get sickness is because the brain interprets movement from the ears, eyes, motion and joints. All of these have multiple angles of movement and produce a large number of signals that are sent back to the brain to provide balance. This is all done subconsciously.

What happens is that sometimes one or more of these signals becomes scrambled and the brain has issues interpreting the the scrambled signal causing vertigo (dizziness) in some, which is a hallucination. Because this scrambled signal is causing distress, the brain thinks the vertigo or movement is real and reacts accordingly and in a lot of people causes sickness.

Firstly one needs to determine if it is merely an ear infection, damage to the ear or something else. There are a number of different tests, from listening to sounds to standing and watching moving walls. These will then determine which part of the ear is causing you to feel ill. (inner, middle or outer). Once you know which part of the ear is affected, the correct medicine can be prescribed or advised. Something for one part of the ear is useless if the problem is with another area of the ear.

Only an audiologist or ear doctor can determine what is the right thing for you and how to treat it. What one person says works for them may be a complete waste of time for you as their problem may be inner ear and yours may be middle ear.

I know from spending a year taking the wrong thing that did nothing and a lot of proper medical testing what works.

As good as peoples intentions are in recommending a solution. Go and see a professional in this field as you may be surprised.

Also if you get symptoms that are getting progressively worse, you could be risking long term damage if you don't sort it earlier.

My wife gets motion sickness. Bonine has always worked for her, but she doesnt like the drowsiness. On the last two cruises she has used the wrist bands and they have worked great. Some other things she does is to always sit with her back to the windows in the dining room and avoid the bow (like the showroom) in rough seas. We have always been Deck 7 or higher with our stateroom mid to aft and she has never had a problem.

Check with your local pharmacist. Ours brings in Generic Meclizine from the warehouse and it's incredibly inexpensive. Last time, we paid less than $8.00 for 100 12.5mg tablets.

DW has also found that SeaBands work well for her.

Hi, my pharmacy also advised Meclizine 12.5 mg at night before bed and ear plugs. This also works great on airplanes. I start taking the Meclizine & use the ear plugs on my flight--nice nap!

Although I SWEAR by Bonine, and find that out of all of the medications I have tried, it works the best, I would STRONGLY reccomend taking it at night, as I still find that it makes me quite tired and I sleep a lot more when I am on the pill.

I find that works best for me, too.

Ginger pills are awesome. Not only are they good for motion sickness but they do double-duty to settle your stomach when you've overeaten - which is every day on a cruise! I personally hate pharmaceuticals & their miserable side effects; ginger is natural & not a drug.

Where do you get wrist bands ?

You can buy them on the ship.

My wife does not typically get seasick - but did on our last cruise, as did many others. She was pregnant and couldn't take anything. Someone recommended she see the acupuncturist onboard - she tried it and it really helped.

Mike

Good news. The Purser's Desk provides seasickness pills for free.

When my dd became ill, the staff brought her Ginger Ale (we paid for it, of course). Worked like a charm. My husband drinks it all the time to calm his upset stomach.

We're thinking about bringing along a six-pack on next week's cruise. For our family, it's easy to find, and it works really well.

Motion sickness is when there is an imbalance between what the eyes see and the brain processes from movement. Motion sickness is almost the opposite of vertigo (dizziness). With Motion Sickness, the eyes register no movement but the brain thinks there is. This also triggers the body's response to toxins and causes vomiting. Anyway the issue is with the Vestibular.

The Vestibular is the inner ear. Those of you advising medications such a what did you call it bonnie, which part of the ear does that treat? Inner, middle or outer? Do you not think it is a placebo effect that it may not have any medicinal value except your belief in it?

Meclozine (INN,[1] or meclizine) is an antihistamine considered to be an antiemetic. It is sold under the brand names Bonine, Bonamine, Antivert, Postafen, Sea Legs, and Dramamine (Less Drowsy Formulation).

Uses

Meclozine is approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to treat symptoms of motion sickness and for management of vertigo that stems from diseases affecting the vestibular system. Meclozine's safety and efficacy in children younger than 12 years old has not been established, therefore use in this population is not recommended. Also, meclozine should be taken with caution in the elderly (older than 65 years) because of increased risk of confusion and amnesia.[4]

[edit]

Motion sickness

Meclozine is effective in inhibiting the symptoms of motion sickness, such as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness. The recommended dose is 25–50 mg orally, taken 1 hour before travel. The dose may be repeated every 24 hours as needed.[3]

The drug is also safe for treating nausea in pregnancy[5] and is a first-line therapy for this use.[6][7] Doxylamine is similarly safe.

[edit]

Vertigo

Meclozine may be effective in relieving vertigo experienced as a result of inner ear infections or other conditions. The recommended dose is 25–100 mg per day orally, separated into divided doses

Remember always consult a qualified medical professional before taking any suggested medication.

DH gets seasick easily and after many cruises, here is what works for him.

* Takes bonine 1-3 times a day

* Takes ginger pills with every meal

* Have sea bands and scop patches if needed-never have needed them-thank goodness

As a healthcare professional, please be mindful of drug interactions with any other medications (prescription or over the counter) you are taking.

happy sailing! :D

Archived