Roll Calls do they work for Seabourn

Roll calls are undoubtedly quieter and in some cases non existent. But could that be because the main forum is more intimate than the vast majority.

We met people from the forum on our first Seabourn cruise so they do work but some of those people knew us from posts in this section rather than meet and mingle.

Henry :)

Roll calls are undoubtedly quieter and in some cases non existent. But could that be because the main forum is more intimate than the vast majority.

We met people from the forum on our first Seabourn cruise so they do work but some of those people knew us from posts in this section rather than meet and mingle.

I'll have to post more on the 'general' boards, then, Henry. Fingers crossed!

Maybe the reluctance of some to post on to the roll call board is a slight fear of meeting others at a 'meet and mingle' on the first day and finding they have absolutely nothing in common, and prefer to meet people gradually over a drink in the Club or Observation Bar?

Maybe the reluctance of some to post on to the roll call board is a slight fear of meeting others at a 'meet and mingle' on the first day and finding they have absolutely nothing in common, and prefer to meet people gradually over a drink in the Club or Observation Bar?

Could be, although roll calls serve a much wider purpose than "meet and mingle" gatherings, and the gatherings can easily be skipped.

Edited by commodoredave

Could be, although roll calls serve a much wider purpose than "meet and mingle" gatherings, and the gatherings can easily be skipped.

True, but generally people ask on the main board for advice about transfer operators, or good private tour guides etc. Also for information about suite situations, staff and so on. The other main reason for going on the roll call would be to organise small group tours, and what I said previously could apply here.

That's maybe true, Lincslady, but why would that only apply to Seabourn roll calls and the particular cruise that I was referring to? Oh, blimey, there's a thought! Maybe my reputation has gone before me. :)

I'm not a big fan of roll calls beyond organizing private shorex. Having said that, I have attended meet and mingles on Seabourn, Regent, Celebrity and Princess. Beyond Seabourn, we never made a connection from the meet and mingle worth pursuing, even for dinner. On the other hand, we've made many more long time friends just from socializing on the ship rather than from CC. The reality is that 95% of people on most voyages never use CC, yet they may be great people to meet and do things with.

That's maybe true, Lincslady, but why would that only apply to Seabourn roll calls and the particular cruise that I was referring to? Oh, blimey, there's a thought! Maybe my reputation has gone before me. :)

Dear welwynger, please don't give up on your roll call group just yet! Of course you will meet people that you have no common interest with...and that's what will make them interesting...or make you interesting to them! As has been said, you don't have to mingle if you don't care to, but I bet that even trivial conversations with your group will provide insight into different lifestyles, different cultures, and yes...people you may even come to like.

I certainly wouldn't worry about meeting people Welwyngirl. We had a couple of people come up and say hello from the forum when we were on board Sojourn. My Calvin Klein underwear modelling career probably meant I stood out around the ship. Either that or the fact we had one of only 2 children on board :) We were very lucky with CC meetings and did end up dining together as well as sharing many laughs around the ship but it is extremely easy to strike up conversations throughout the ship and the more intimate nature of Seabourn compared to larger cruise lines means you regularly saw people again if you wanted to carry on conversations.

The free nature of the dining is also conducive to meeting people. Ask to be sat on a larger table or dine which people you have met whilst enjoying pre dinner drinks. Alternately there are hosted tables where an officer or entertainer acts as the nucleus for conversation.

welwyngirl - as everyone is saying, the regular Seabourn boards are so helpful and friendly (usually) that roll calls hardly seem necessary. Looking at some of the other lines there seems to be less good advice offered on the general boards. Newbies who are CC people usually come on the general board with specific requests for information about their ship or ports, and get lots of good answers. And as Henry says above, it is really easy to meet people once on board.

welwyngirl, if it's any comfort, I am not having much success on my roll call either, a part from 1 response, and my cruise is less than 2 weeks away. I am sure we will meet some wonderful people on the Spirit, but were hoping to share a private tour. Like others, we've met lots of great folks via roll calls, and shared some great tours together. Oh well. We will just see how it goes. I gather this is just the wrong demographic and the ship is too small. Happy Sailing!

• 2 weeks later...

Roll calls are more active for less popular destinations/itineraries where there are sights to see, and so planning on private excursions may be good. No need to have a roll call, for instance, for a Caribbean cruise since easy to get your own car anywhere, nothing too far, and no excursions of much worth - IMHO. But for more exotic destinations where many passengers may be visiting for the first time, Roll Call is good to find someone to share a private car to / from airport and to learn about some hotels, and to share excursions.

The Roll Call boards are hit or miss. Just post and see what happens. Not sure what your expectations are, but temper them and you won't be disappointed. Not sure what you are looking to the Roll Calls for - some like to use them to meet people on board, but that's unnecessary as it is easy to meet people. We have found the best use is to meet individuals to share transit to the ship from a hotel.