Live on a bus for the Star SF to Hawaii

rlmosher

Live on a bus trying to get to the pier for the Star to Hawaii from SanFrancisco and back

We are at the pier going around and around to get into a lot across the street where we can get off the bus. The line to get into the pier is about two block long. We might be on at 4:00pm or not. I don't think it will depart at 4:00, maybe 6:00.

Good luck. Enjoy your cruise. At least the storms off the Pacific Coast have calmed down. I felt for those arriving from the South America cruise as the weather along the Pacific Coastline over the weekend wasn't pretty.
It was VERY rough on Saturday night and most of Sunday. I went up to Skywalkers and literally, pieces were falling from the ceiling, the chairs went flying and the glasses and bottles at the bar were rattling something fierce. The entire Skywalkers was shuddering... a lot. I'm a good sailer but got very nervous sitting up there with all the shaking and stuff flying around, and left. Around the same time, an elderly woman fell off her chair in the HC and I heard she broke her hip. If so, I'm not surprised as when I woke up yesterday morning, I felt that it was rough and unstable enough for there to be injuries. It wasn't a regular rocking and rolling that you could adjust to but every few minutes, a major wave would hit and you had a really hard time keeping your balance, even if you were in good condition. Some people were very sick. :(

It was VERY rough on Saturday night and most of Sunday. I went up to Skywalkers and literally, pieces were falling from the ceiling, the chairs went flying and the glasses and bottles at the bar were rattling something fierce. The entire Skywalkers was shuddering... a lot. I'm a good sailer but got very nervous sitting up there with all the shaking and stuff flying around, and left. Around the same time, an elderly woman fell off her chair in the HC and I heard she broke her hip. If so, I'm not surprised as when I woke up yesterday morning, I felt that it was rough and unstable enough for there to be injuries. It wasn't a regular rocking and rolling that you could adjust to but every few minutes, a major wave would hit and you had a really hard time keeping your balance, even if you were in good condition. Some people were very sick. :(

Hey neighbor (C703) We were up in skywalkers after breakfast on Sunday. Chairs laying down. Really quite the ride but it had it's soothing moments. We stayed up there for over an hour and just watched the bow dive and bob. Been in rougher, but this one seemed louder.

Interesting that the Star is still in port. On our February 4th sailing on the Star, we encountered some waves that were, in the words of Captain Perrin "in excess of 7 meters" off the coast of Chile. As a result, we were late going into the Chilean fjords as he stated that he had slowed us down because he didn't want to "damage the ship". So he's definitely had to navigate some angry seas these last couple of months!

Web cam image of Star Princess approaching Golden Gate Bridge approximately 9:40pmPST March 19, 2012

StarPrincessGGBridge.jpg

Since she was delayed until after I got home from work, I almost drove down to watch her sail away. Looks like I would have been there a while but a campfire on the beach would have been fun! The GF said I was crazy. She has no idea.

Hope everyone has a great cruise!

Since she was delayed until after I got home from work, I almost drove down to watch her sail away. Looks like I would have been there a while but a campfire on the beach would have been fun! The GF said I was crazy. She has no idea.

Hope everyone has a great cruise!

You would have had a two-fer, as Oriana was right behind her...

March2012SF.jpg

Hey neighbor (C703) We were up in skywalkers after breakfast on Sunday. Chairs laying down. Really quite the ride but it had it's soothing moments. We stayed up there for over an hour and just watched the bow dive and bob. Been in rougher, but this one seemed louder.
I agree. I've been in rougher, too, but this seemed to be very noisy. Captain Perin said they were expecting waves of six meters but I don't know if that was the case or if it was rougher. Wind was 45-kts (51 mph) but didn't feel steady; felt to me to be gusty and coming from different directions. Other than the last two days, the weather was sunny and the seas very calm or mild from Valparaiso up to then.

Archived