Upgrade

joyce&bob

to me.....yup.

We did a number of Oceanviews and enjoyed them, but when we were offered an upgrade, something in your range, we took at and Loved sitting on the Balcony at sea, eating breakfast out there, stepping out a night and finishing a glass of wine hearing the ship cut through the sea, and smelling the ocean, stepping up to railing and watching the seabirds and flying fish.....

God, I've got to get back to sea again!

Warning....Warning....Warning. There is a big chance that it will cost you more than the upgrade for this cruise.....we have gone Balcony for every cruise aftewards, no matter how port-intensive.

Den

Per cabin? As in 160.00 per person? (assuming double occupancy)

I'd do it in a New York minute!

YMMV, but for us it would be a blessing!

Because right now I am looking at a week in a stateroom with the in-laws on one side and our daughter and niece on the other, three more cabins with family beyond them....

So a balcony would not just be a balcony, it would be a way to get a little privacy ; -D

We were upgraded to a sky suite our first time around. We are going to be 2A this coming cruise and debating whether to upgrade to C2 or take a chance and see how 2A is for us after the sky suite.

The correct answer to the question is, of course, it depends.

The itinerary may be a factor. If it's an early or late season Alaska cruise, you might not want to spend that much time on your balcony. You can always go topside while cruising past glaciers, but retreat to your cozy cabin once you're in open, cold waters.

Is the cruise port-intensive, or do you have a couple of sea days? By the time you get back to your cabin after a full day of shore excursions and then dinner, will it be dark already? I enjoy sitting out on the balcony at night, but others feel it's a waste if there's nothing to see.

Do you plan on kicking back and relaxing, or are you always on the go, using the cabin only as a place to sleep, shower, and change clothes? If you're never in the cabin otherwise, you may as well get an inside.

Any problems with seasickness? DW finds that being able to go out on the balcony and get some fresh air helps her, and she would refuse to cruise in a PH suite if it did not have a balcony. Even if it weren't for that, she looks forward all year to be able to relax on the balcony, watch for dolphins or whales during the day, the waves in the moonlight at night. Room service on the balcony, even if it's small? Priceless. It wouldn't make any difference if it were $160pp extra or $1600, if it doesn't have a balcony, she's not going.

So, it's a personal decision, but we'd do it.

We were upgraded to a sky suite our first time around. We are going to be 2A this coming cruise and debating whether to upgrade to C2 or take a chance and see how 2A is for us after the sky suite.

Well, considering that there's no difference in the cabins beyond the balcony footstools and thicker bathrobes, I wouldn't bother unless the price difference was negligible. If the cabin was larger, as in M class, then I would say to go for it.

Be careful, once you have a balcony it's very hard to go back. That extra feeling of out door space...... even if you don't use it a lot. The minute you get up , open the curtains and look out those floor to ceiling windows.......amazing

Makes a difference what class of ship you are on. If you're on an S class ship, I'd look at getting one of the 1As with the significantly larger balconies. C2 won't get you any more room in the cabin than 2A.

If you're on an M class ship, then it does make a difference. Concierge class cabins are larger.

Archived