Document Concern

Young@heart25

Our family is booked for the Gem in a few weeks. Me, my two sons from my first marriage, my current husband, and our daughter. My sons have a different last name than me....I kept my maiden name, they have their father's last name. We are using birth certificates as documentation.

My question is....will I need their father to write a letter giving them permission to sail? If so, does it need to be notarized? I'm so confused about all this. :confused:

My understanding is it is best to get a letter giving permission in exact detail eg cruise, dates, who, when etc signed by both parents and notorised.

This was not possible for me so I carried my current Court Orders (no such thing as sole custody where I live) and got the NCL parental form completed by myself and my current husband. NCL were fine with this.

However, i am not sure if it would be different for a US Citizen or not.

Isnt a passport required for everyone, including kids, now??:confused:

Not required for a closed-loop cruise (one that starts and ends at the same US port) - birth cert and ID is fine. However, if something happens and a passenger needs to fly back home, it'll take breaking through some serious red tape to get back into the country if he/she doesn't have a passport.

Our family is booked for the Gem in a few weeks. Me, my two sons from my first marriage, my current husband, and our daughter. My sons have a different last name than me....I kept my maiden name, they have their father's last name. We are using birth certificates as documentation.

My question is....will I need their father to write a letter giving them permission to sail? If so, does it need to be notarized? I'm so confused about all this. :confused:

When my son and I traveled on the Jewel without my husband this past November, I did not need parental,conscent. Better safe than sorry, though! I downloaded the form and had it notarized (free at TD bank.) They never asked for it, but I felt a lot more at ease knowing I had it.

You definitely need the form. Here is a link to it:

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012.pdf

TracyE

Thanks. I saw that but thought it was for children traveling without either parent. I'd rather have more documentation than we need than not have enough!! I'll fill out the form and have him sign and have it notarized!

When my son and I traveled on the Jewel without my husband this past November, I did not need parental,conscent. Better safe than sorry, though! I downloaded the form and had it notarized (free at TD bank.) They never asked for it, but I felt a lot more at ease knowing I had it.

Do you have to be a TD bank customer? I'm trying to find a notary in my area...would live to find one available on a Sunday

Thanks. I saw that but thought it was for children traveling without either parent. I'd rather have more documentation than we need than not have enough!! I'll fill out the form and have him sign and have it notarized!

Yes, please take the time and trouble to have it notarized. EXACTLY as you said, it's better to have more documentation than you need than not have enough.

The issue is the prevention of child abduction when one parent takes the child(ren) out of the country without consent of the other parent.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Isnt a passport required for everyone, including kids, now??:confused:

Passport will not solve the issue about "child abduction".

FYI- the issue being discussed here really does not matter if the last names are the same or different. They just need to make sure both parents have approved of the child leaving the country.

Sorry, another question and I can't find the answer on NCLs website. My sons are 17 and 16 and neither have driver's licenses yet. Do they NEED photo IDs or will they be able to sail with just their birth certificates? They both have school issued IDs

Sorry, another question and I can't find the answer on NCLs website. My sons are 17 and 16 and neither have driver's licenses yet. Do they NEED photo IDs or will they be able to sail with just their birth certificates? They both have school issued IDs

No, they don't need a picture ID. Birth Certificates will suffice as long as YOU have your picture ID :)

Hi Young@Heart. We are on the same cruise as you. My oldest is also 17. I called NCL directly to ask about birth certs and ids specifically (I was debating passport renewal). They said that the 17 year old needed to have a government issued photo ID to board the ship. He does not have his license - only a learner's permit and I wasn't 100% sure that would get him on board. I guess I could go to the DMV and get his CT State ID, but that's the same amount of hassle as renewing the passports, so that's what I did.

My next son is 15, so we didn't discuss photo ids for him - I'm not sure if the photo id requirement starts at 16 or 17.

When I called NCL, they were very helpful.

Lisa.

From NCL's FAQ the 17 yo will need photo ID

What about Documentation, Visas and Passports?

All guests must provide key personal information in advance of sailing. Click here for detailed travel documentation information before you complete your Online Check-In form.

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

Baptismal paper, hospital certificates of birth and Puerto Rico birth certificates issued prior to 7/1/10 are not acceptable.

A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 do not require a government-issued photo ID.

Just to clarify. The NCL parental consent form is not needed if at least one of the child's parents is sailing with them. That form is only to be used if you are taking someone else's child on the cruise with you (i.e., grandchild, friend). It is merely to make you responsible for that child who is not traveling with one of his/her own parent. If you are traveling to Canada, Canadian customs requires that you present a notarized letter signed by the absent parent or both parents if they are both absent. This is not the same as the parental consent form.

I would make sure that I had some sort of documentation to prove that you are the mother of the boys who do not share your same last name (i.e. custody order, divorce decree, etc.).

I have confirmed all of this with NCL after reading their website for required documentation.

You definitely need the form. Here is a link to it:

http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/ParentGuardianForm_01302012.pdf

TracyE

I'm soooo confused... I"m traveling with my 17 year old daughter to Europe this summer on the Epic. Her father will be staying home. According to the NCL website, you only need their consent form if the child is not traveling with EITHER parent or guardian.

According to how I read it, if one parent is with, I don't need the form. I agree with Phillygirl63.

I'm soooo confused... I"m traveling with my 17 year old daughter to Europe this summer on the Epic. Her father will be staying home. According to the NCL website, you only need their consent form if the child is not traveling with EITHER parent or guardian.

According to how I read it, if one parent is with, I don't need the form. I agree with Phillygirl63.

The problem is customs, not NCL. You are required to have proof that the other parent gives permission. This is free at most banks, and requies just a few minutes of time.

Archived