US connection on Intl flight

azseas

We will be flying to Athens from Phoenix, greece in sept. The best flight is a USair that has a two hour connection in Philadelphia. Do we have to change terminals -- do we go through security again in Philly? Is two hours time to go outside (past security) and come back in and still make the flight?

You will land in either terminal A, B, or C. They are all connected and you will not need to clear security again in Philadelphia. Two hours is more than enough connection time for those flights.

It should be, BUT...

Depending on where you are seated on the plane, you could chew through 15 minutes just getting off. Then it's another 10 minutes from the gate to the front of the airport. You need to plan on a full hour for security at PHL, it's notoriously slow and disorganized. The evil women there put you in whatever line they choose, regardless of if you are on a first class ticket, what your FF status is, etc. They put kids in the expert traveler line and business people with nothing more than a briefcase into the family line.

Frankly I'd rather go to the dentist than deal with security at PHL.

If you do decide to go outside, don't go for long and don't go far. You'll need to be back in the boarding area 30 minutes before your flight is scheduled to leave.

You don't indicate why you would go out thru security between flights. You will not have too long to do anything. It can take 15 to 30 minutes after landing for the plane to get to the gate, you to get off and get outside of security. You would then want to start the security process an hour or so before the scheduled departure time.

You might want to check your layover times coming home though. You will have to re-clear security after going through Immigration and Customs. Never having done C&I at Philly but having done it at MIA, DFW, IAH etc you better plan at least 3-4 hrs to deplane, clear C&I, redo security, get to gate etc. Depending on what time you arrive back in the US and how many international flights are arriving at the same time it can be a nightmare.

You will have to re-clear security after going through Immigration and Customs. Never having done C&I at Philly

Your reply conflicts with others. If you've never been through C&I at Philly, why would you think the OP would need to re-clear security???

Your reply conflicts with others. If you've never been through C&I at Philly, why would you think the OP would need to re-clear security???

Because you do. I not talking about going over, but when you enter the United States coming back: you will clear Immigration, Get your luggage, clear customs, recheck bags (usually done right there just after customs, as they will be tagged to final destination) then you have to go do the whole TSA security again.

Going to Greece they will arrive from PHX and just go to their next flight without having to play the TSA game again.

Before everyone jumps all over, Trucker Dave is correct. ON THE RETURN, you will have to clear security. Happens EVERY flight returning to the USA if you have not been precleared into the USA (some Canadian flights and quite a few flights returning to the USA via Ireland-which is one reason the Aer Lingus flights are sooooo very nice-no long immigration lines to stand in when arriving USA.)

Once you touch your luggage in Customs, you MUST go through security again.

You knew this-you just forgot.

Once you touch your luggage in Customs, you MUST go through security again.

You knew this-you just forgot.

Yeah, that makes sense. Wasn't thinking in those terms since my last international flight was NAS-ATL-CHS with pre-clearance in NAS. Incidentally, it was my first experience identifying my luggage via photo. It was checked at the check-in counter, and apparently photographed shortly thereafter and linked to me via the bar code on the tag. When I went through pre-clearance they scanned my passport and a picture of my luggage came up on the screen for me to confirm that it was mine. Is it like that in other places that do pre-clearance?

Yeah, that makes sense. Wasn't thinking in those terms since my last international flight was NAS-ATL-CHS with pre-clearance in NAS. Incidentally, it was my first experience identifying my luggage via photo. It was checked at the check-in counter, and apparently photographed shortly thereafter and linked to me via the bar code on the tag. When I went through pre-clearance they scanned my passport and a picture of my luggage came up on the screen for me to confirm that it was mine. Is it like that in other places that do pre-clearance?

I had that once, connecting in YVR on my way to HNL in 2009. Other times it has been the same system as before.

Once you touch your bags?? What does that have to do with it? If you had no bags, you'd still have to go back through security to get to the flight for your domestic flight. Those bags don't go through security anyway (they'd be passed on at a transit desk beyond Customs). That's only on the return to the U.S., of course, when everyone goes through Immigration and Customs (even those just transiting the U.S. to continue on another international flight). For the flight to Europe, OP should be fine. Not sure where they'd go outside the terminal. Not enoug time to take a train downtown and back, is there? Who could predict the length of a line at security? People can relate experiences, but the line may be longer or shorter for OP.

I'm guessing they are looking for someplace to have a cigarette. There are no smoking areas anywhere (including bars) within the terminal building, and no outside smoking area within the sterile concourse.

Once you touch your bags?? What does that have to do with it? .

I suppose it's because you could have things in your checked bags that are not allowed in carry ons. Theoretically, if you have access to your bags going through customs, you could take something out and put it in your carryon. Your bags are rechecked, and you not have "contraband" in your carryon.

I am from Philly. Basically it is just one large terminal with several concourses. Coming from Pheonix you will have no trouble at all changing planes, assuming of course that your plane gets to Philly on time.

There is no reason to go outside security. There is nothing to do there unless you want to watch people from domestic flights pick up their baggage or take a walking tour of the parking structures. All restaurants and shopping at the airport are within the secured area.

On your way back from Athens, you will have to recheck your bags and go through security to get to your connecting flight. Customs and Immigration tend to go smoothly and quickly, particularly if you are an American citizen. Since I am home when I get here, I have never had to worry about going through security again, but friends have told me it also goes smoothly and quickly.

Archived