Is Independence of the Seas out of Southampton really that bad?!?

Thinking of taking a cruise in May, was contemplating the 5 nighter out of Barcelona on LoS but, for us, the 10 nighter out of Southampton on IoS works out cheaper. However I have been reading the members reviews on IoS who have done this cruise in the last few months and they are truly terrible, mentioning words such as Butlins and Benidorm (for non-UK residents these words are used as insults).

There will be myself with 2 children (3 and 17 months) plus my sister.

any thoughts, or first hand experience of either cruise?

We travelled on the Indy in February and had a great time, the only Butlins at sea bits were the Belly flop competition and the Quest which from reading on here seem to be regulars on all RCI ships not just the Indy.

The only problem we had was the norovirus which can happen anywhere where there is acrowd of people, the ship did all they could to stop it speading in fact we were afraid to stand still in case we got disinfected :):)

We are on her next week and will be doing my blog from the ship, so will answer any questions you have then if you wish :)

I think with any review you need to read between the lines a bit - people often never post when they are happy.

I'm also a bit worried that it won't measure up to past cruises. We have booked the Indy out of Southampton as it's an itinerary that we haven't done before (and it was a bit of a bargain:)), but some of the reviews mentioning Butlins (I used to work for them) are a bit worrying. Lets hope someone can reasure us...

I will definatly be writing a review when I get back. I sailed on the Liberty last October and although the cruise was fairly good I didn't like the ship as much as the Explorer or the Splendour but I'm not sure why.

We are on her next week and will be doing my blog from the ship, so will answer any questions you have then if you wish :)

I think with any review you need to read between the lines a bit - people often never post when they are happy.

Awesome! Will you be posting pictures as well?

Oh for goodness sakes. I hate it when snooty people come back after their cruise and say "Butlins at sea." Really???? I'm not English but my husband is and he was dragged to a Butlins holiday when he was a little kid. He said our cruise on the Indy was DEFINTELY not like that.

We had a wonderful 11 nights on the Indy this past February. She's a beautiful ship. The shows were incredible, especially the headliner show "Under the Big Top." There were a few guest performers who were TV stars, namely Zoe Tyler (with the voice of an angel). We liked the Progressive Quiz held at the Pyramid Lounge. Cruise Director Joff Eaton hosted it and that man is hilarious. I won't ruin the surprise at the end that the winners and losers get. ;) The band "Rock the Boat" at the Pyramid Lounge were fantastic. They can sing any song in the book and make it sound like a million bucks. Dinner in the MDR was very good--there was no meal that missed the mark; in fact the steak was better than what we had on the Voyager. We dined at Portofino's one night and it was well worth the $20 pp upcharge. We attended lectures on the sea days that were very interesting. We play mini golf, too, and that was a hoot.

So what didn't I like? The one and only criticism I have of the Indy is that too many passengers smoke. The deck where the smokers are allowed would have been the pride of any fire brigade. Really. I never saw such a haze of smoke. It was nasty. Maybe we got the cruise that all the smokers of Britain went on? I dunno.

Awesome! Will you be posting pictures as well?

i have also noticed that the reviews recently are quite negative we are due on it in nov it is our first cruise and i have had to persuade my husband to go on a cruise he believes it will be like going to butlins so these reviews are playing into his hands. alot of the complaints are about the norivirus this is very common when there is a lot of people especially at this time of year.it looks like the crew where doing what they could do to get rid of it.

I really hope not... We are going on Indy in August and are sooo looking forward to it!

I think someone above said, a lot of people tend to write a review if they something negative to say rather than something positive... I hope that's the case anyway!

Wishing everyone travelling on the Indy in the future a really fantastic cruise :)

Isnt Butlins upmarket now??? We look at a holiday as being what we make it! You can't please everyone all the time and there are professional moaners out there!! I would still rather be on a cruise than sat at home ;)

We are on the Indy on Saturday and totally looking forward to it. Positivity all the way! We've always got the balcony to retreat to for a bit of peace if we need it:)

Most reviews on these boards are critical so I read between the lines. We went on the marco polo in December and that was dire, however, some people think that is magnificent!

Book the Indy, have a fab time and make your own judgements. We too will post a review on return

weve sailed on her twice and are booked again in May. Its a huge ship with lots of different people, different things to do but thats a good thing isnt it..... Indy is a wonderful ship , spotlessly clean, the staff are second to none ,always friendly and nothing is too much trouble. .Some people are never satisfied and complain about everything so go and see for yourselves and make up your own minds. Im sure youll have a wonderful time.

Thank you for all your comments & isdoo I will keep an eye out for your daily blog of the cruise!

I think I would prefer the upgraded LoS and the ports it visits but a little voice in my head keeps going TEN DAYS WITHOUT HAVING TO COOK FOR THE CHILDREN. :D

Been on her twice, going on her again for her TA in Nov and then again next year in October 2013!

We Love her, she's a great ship. Crew and staff are fantastic.

Joff Eaton is an excellent CD.

Every holiday is what you make it and you can do as little or as much as you want.

And I'm with the other poster - Under the Big Top is great but Once Upon a Time is my favourite :p

Indy is great, we have been on her three times already and have two cruises booked on her this year in April and August - what more proof do you need? It's a huge ship with plenty to do but there are quiet places as well. Nobody tries to force you join in with anything but it's there if you want it - join in, watch or ignore the choice is yours. As somebody else has already said the staff are fantastic and the food wonderful. Book it and start counting down to your cruise.

Gill

We've done 2 trips out of Barcelona, and we really enjoyed them. Great ports of call.

We did Independence in February. We really liked it. The ship was excellent. We had several discussions about what was different, based on the passenger demographic (a large number of Brits). We also had discussions about why we had those thoughts. On previous cruises, there had been a good mix of nationalities, and yes there were some rude people, and people where you had a bit of a laugh at what they wore, but then you could explain it as "they're foreign, and have different values". When you know most people are your own nationality you might be less willing to accept it.

Anyway, we really liked Indy, and wouldn't describe it as Butlins at sea. What we did notice was that the pub was never quiet, the seats at the balconies at the end of the Royal Promenade were always full, and there seemed to be plenty of things for kids to do.

Where on earth did you read those reviews OP , we have been on her 4 times in the last 12 months including an 18 day and we love her, both of my SIL are on it now, and none of us would have ever returned if it was as you described.

Mind you it has been a different experience each cruise we have been on and that is how it should be, go and relax and enjoy it.

great food great staff and on the last one a month ago some of the best guest artists we have seen on RCI, production shows do nothing for me!

Where on earth did you read those reviews OP , we have been on her 4 times in the last 12 months including an 18 day and we love her, both of my SIL are on it now, and none of us would have ever returned if it was as you described.

Mind you it has been a different experience each cruise we have been on and that is how it should be, go and relax and enjoy it.

great food great staff and on the last one a month ago some of the best guest artists we have seen on RCI, production shows do nothing for me!

Thanks for your info ...

I have sailed her 3 times......she is one amazing lady! I have also sailed other cruise lines that had the noro viris.... as has Indy... that did not spoil my break...all I can say is you and your family enjoy her b4 she returns fot the winter season to Florida...There is something ther for everyone

I see what people mean about Butlins stereo type for some passengers on Indy, and its true, you do get a few people that are more like holiday camp people than cruise people, however, this is usually in school holiday times and they will bring the kids, sit themselves in a bar and big up RCI takings on alcohol, let the kids roam round teh ship at will etc, you do get a few people like that, however, in the main 99% of the time Indy is lovely, loads to do, plenty to keep you occupied and the shows in the evening are excellent, food has always been spot on, staff and service excellent.

I have done the cruises out of Barcelona and they are good, you get a cross section of passengers Brits, Americans, Spanish, French, Italians etc etc and as people from the Med generally eat later the dinner times are about an hour behind what Indy does.

The main advantage on going to Barcelona is that its a 2 hour flight and you are in the sun, where as with Indy its two days before you get good weather, so its down to you, both have good and bad points but overall, either will be a great cruise experience, 10 nights or 5 nights, personally I would take the 10 nights.... :-)

Archived