Which cruise line for Panama Canal?

Kruizin'Kath

Going thru the Canal is pretty much the same on all lines, and it is all about the Canal. So, to separate the lines, you need to look at the length of cruise you can do and afford, as well as the other ports involved that interest you.

Some people say a big difference is the small number of lines that have actual port time in Panama as well as full transits.

The issues and criteria are discussed regularly on the Panama board.

Why do you need to go west to east? Because you'll lose hours that way. If you go east to west, you'll be setting the clock back, not forward. Definitely better!

I sailed on Princess and would highly recommend them. I loved the Coral (and her sister, Island, would be the same) because she was roomy, had lovely wide Promenade deck and lots of open deck space both forward and aft, all the better to see the lock operations from. If you don't have that view to the front and back, you really miss out on a lot.

That said, I don't know much about the ships from other lines that do the itinerary. But I would definitely look for lots of open deck space all around the ship, so you get a good view of everything. That would be my number one criterion.

You actually have a rather limited number of choices in cruise lines. The lines that offer the most Canal cruises are Princess, HAL and Celebrity and these normally start in the fall and run through the winter months. You can find a Canal transit on NCL, RCI and Disney occasionally, but your most choices are with the first three I mentioned. As far as the best, I think they will all do a good job, just select the line that you are happy with from other cruises if you can. Otherwise I would just consider timing, price and the particular itinerary that appeals to you. Looking for an itinerary that offers a full day stop in Panama in conjunction with the transit , as mentioned earlier, is a great suggestion.

we highly recommend celebrity for the panama. did it in 2009 with seniors and treated very well. my mom was sick the day before going thru canal. she had an interior room and was quarantined to that, so they put her into a balcony so she could experience the pass age thru canal. an experience of a lifetime and even sent her get well flowers. celebrity is a premium class of ships and you wont be disappointed. lily1234

Hi. Living on the eastern seaboard, we preferred west to east as well as we preferred to take the longer time to get to the ship, and get home quicker after the cruise. Also when we did the PC cruise on Island Princess in 2010 we would have had to fly back from Acapulco and there was only one non-stop flight per day and we would have had to spend time clearing customs twice (off ship and then again at EWR). We chose to get to Acapulco to sail, and fly back from FLL from where there were many flights per day. I don't think this is so much an issue now as both ends are in the USA I believe.

Thought it was great and would do it again someday. island/Coral Princess is a good choice and I'd consider Celebrity if it was a ship that has been refurbished recently only. I think HAL does this itin too.

We did it on Holland America two years ago and it was great. Rained buckets, but it was still great. They brought on a docent (naturalist? historian?) who explained everything. Fascinating feat of engineering it is, and one of the highlights of my cruising life.

We cruised the PC on Princess a few years ago. We went from Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco and loved it. Of all the cruises I have taken the PC cruise is one of my top three, the other two being Alaska (#1) and the Baltics.

I did the transit from FLL to SFO in May 2010, on the Sea Princess, and had a wonderful time, and of course very impressed with the canal. It was nice hopping on a train in SFO and 90 minutes later be home relaxing after my cruise.

The ships that can go through the canal are few in number, smaller, older ships, referred to as Panamax ships - the maximum size that would fit in the locks. Of course once/when the new locks are completed, there will be a new size limit. The Sea Princess had a couple feet clearance on both sides when going through the locks.

We have done the canal 3 times with Oceania

smaller ships & if you want to push the boat out for your special occasion it may be a good choice ;)

Congratulations on your 40th

Archived