Spirit airline anyone?

cutiepiefred

Has anyone ever flown using spirit airlines? I live in Pa and have a cruise booked in November. well they have a good deal 188 round trip from Latrobe to either Miami or fort Lauderdale, its also non stop. I don't understand the baggage for that. so do they charge you for each bag and each carry on? or just for each bag? thanks

I like Spirit for their fares, but they charge you for everything extra. If you don't plan your packing carefully, the baggage fees could add up to more than the cost of your ticket. Here's the current information from their website:

Carry-On Bag (At booking / before check-in) $30

First Checked Bag (At booking / before check-in) $28

Second Checked Bag (At booking / before check-in) $35

Third, Fourth, Fifth Checked Bag (At booking / before check-in) $85

Carry-On Bag (During online check-in) $35

First Checked Bag (During online check-in) $33

Second Checked Bag (During online check-in) $40

Third, Fourth, Fifth Checked Bag (During online check-in) $90

Each carry on bag is $30 if paid when making your booking.

The checked bag will be $28 and $35 for the 2nd checked bag.

So pack everything into a checked bag and save $2. Just keep it under 40 lbs.

From Spirit's website: http://spirit.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/771/~/how-much-does-spirit-charge-for-bags%3F

Remember, we always provide one personal item free of charge per customer. Personal items (e.g. purse, small backpack, briefcase, etc.) must fit underneath the seat, so the dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm).

Additionally, the following carry-on items are not counted towards a customer's carry-on bag allowance and can be brought with you on all flights free of charge - umbrella, camera, infant diaper bag, assistive devices, outer garments (e.g. coats, hats, and wraps), stroller, reading material, and food for the flight.

I like Spirit for their fares, but they charge you for everything extra. If you don't plan your packing carefully, the baggage fees could add up to more than the cost of your ticket. Here's the current information from their website:

so they charge you for carry on bags? that's a bit crazy.

so they charge you for carry on bags? that's a bit crazy.

At least it cuts down on people dragging on huge cases that need to be stuffed into the overhead bin. How many times have you stood behind someone who couldn't lift the bag to the overhead bin or it was too thick and needed to be pushed and shoved until it made it in, meanwhile everyone behind is standing and waiting slowing down the whole process. And its probably a LOT faster getting off the plane as you don't have people stopping to grab a bag from the bin and holding up the line.

I think its they got the idea right. Makes loading and unloading the plane quick.

Spirit does have some nice fares, but it's the Greyhound Bus of the sky. If you are okay with absolutely no frills, bad service, dirty planes, etc., then Spirit is for you. I'm not the type of person who needs to fly first class, but I do want to feel comfortable for those three or four hours. Spirit got two chances. Both times it just wasn't good.

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx

How much does Spirit charge for bags?

We empower you to save money on air travel by offering ultra low fares with a range of optional services - including bags - for a fee, allowing you the freedom to choose only the extras you value.

You can view our current bag fees here, which includes carry-on, checked, overweight, oversized, and sporting equipment.

Remember, we always provide one personal item free of charge per customer. Personal items (e.g. purse, small backpack, briefcase, etc.) must fit underneath the seat, so the dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm).

Additionally, the following carry-on items are not counted towards a customer's carry-on bag allowance and can be brought with you on all flights free of charge - umbrella, camera, infant diaper bag, assistive devices, outer garments (e.g. coats, hats, and wraps), stroller, reading material, and food for the flight.

In certain instances, wheelchairs, car seats and strollers may be checked or carried on free of charge.

?????

As mentioned the airline charges for checked and carry on bags.They allow one personal item.Be aware ladies that your handbag counts as the personal item.In other words,if you have a small tote that would fit under a seat and a handbag you would be charged $40 for bring one of them on.They also charge $$ to select/reserve a seat prior to the flight.They are fine to fly but do the math before you book as other carriers may actually be cheaper.I fly them for convenience factor(airport accessibility) as well as cost.Good Luck.:)

Spirit does have some nice fares, but it's the Greyhound Bus of the sky. If you are okay with absolutely no frills, bad service, dirty planes, etc., then Spirit is for you. I'm not the type of person who needs to fly first class, but I do want to feel comfortable for those three or four hours. Spirit got two chances. Both times it just wasn't good.

I have to agree....I have flown them twice...short flights but SO not worth it. Yes, they charge for carry-on and checked bags. Also you can't select your seat unless you pay more. I felt the plane was filthy and I've now been calling it Lego Airlines. I agree, I'm not a first class type of person but I'd like a decent, comfortable flight. i just didn't find that with Spirit.

If I'm reading the checked bag fees right - if you check one bag each, and have 1 carryonn each - the fare would be under the $250 you have budgeted. It's a quick flight - being snacks in youre carryonn... Book these flights.

We just flew Spirit in Jan. It is definitly no frills. One personal item that must fit under your seat. Pay for one checked bag ahead of time. They must be under 40 lbs. It better be under 40. People were being charged all over the place. I actually watched a women take all of her shoes out of the checked bag and put them in her very large purse. If you scale down what you are taking it is doable. If you book your seats ahead they are extra. If you can wait then do that at check in. For a 2 1/2 hr flight for us it was OK. Not my first choice but OK. They also charge for drinks, not sure if you know that. Just be prepared for that. A cup of coffee was $3...not sure what a soda was. I did not see one person buy anything.

Has anyone ever flown using spirit airlines? I live in Pa and have a cruise booked in November. well they have a good deal 188 round trip from Latrobe to either Miami or fort Lauderdale, its also non stop. I don't understand the baggage for that. so do they charge you for each bag and each carry on? or just for each bag? thanks

Ugly airline all around. Youze takes your chances on that one...bring lots of nickels and dimes.

Ugly airline all around. Youze takes your chances on that one...bring lots of nickels and dimes.

Ryanair is just the same and then they don't fly into the major airports. I think Ryanair is even more restrictive. Flybe is as well. This is what air transport is becoming in the 21st century. :(

I fly them for price and convienence, but all of the other comments are true. Also, their seating "pitch", the distance between rows is the shortest in the industry. If you have long legs, you will be uncomfortable.

Archived