Priceline - Amsterdam hotel

When bidding nothing is for certain

If you do not mind being in the Zone that you are bidding for a hotel then all is good ..

You could always just take one of the regular offers where you know the hotel

You could check if the Movenpick has any offers that suit your budget

We got the Barbizon Palace last year for $101 bid same zone as Movenpick....it was a good location for us

Lyn

I know that it's never a definite when you bid with PL. But you can make an educated guess using the ratings they're showing. And I generally would not be bidding 4* given that I've read many reviews saying that the supposed 4* hotels really should be 2 or 2.5*. The Movenpick is a special case because of its convenience.

The Barbizon Palace is 5*.

I have the Hotel Fita booked for 139e thru the hotel itself, but can cancel. It's not 5* but includes a good breakfast and is in a convenient location, from what I've read. But if I can get a good deal from PL, I'd cancel.

Edited by MisterBill99

I know that it's never a definite when you bid with PL. But you can make an educated guess using the ratings they're showing. And I generally would not be bidding 4* given that I've read many reviews saying that the supposed 4* hotels really should be 2 or 2.5*. The Movenpick is a special case because of its convenience.

The Barbizon Palace is 5*.

I have the Hotel Fita booked for 139e thru the hotel itself, but can cancel. It's not 5* but includes a good breakfast and is in a convenient location, from what I've read. But if I can get a good deal from PL, I'd cancel.

That is a good price

Some of the 4 & 5 * hotels do not include breakfast

The Movenpick was 33 Euro PP for the breakfast buffet

We did not even look at the one at the Barbizon we just walked around the corner to a local cafe

I usually watch on Better bidding to see what hotels people get & the price they bid then go from there

Good luck enjoy Amsterdam

That is a good price

Some of the 4 & 5 * hotels do not include breakfast

The Movenpick was 33 Euro PP for the breakfast buffet

We did not even look at the one at the Barbizon we just walked around the corner to a local cafe

I usually watch on Better bidding to see what hotels people get & the price they bid then go from there

Good luck enjoy Amsterdam

We're not usually big breakfast eaters (plus we'll be going on a 12 night cruise and will eat plenty then), and there's no way I'd ever pay the ridiculous price to eat at the hotel. There are places to eat much better for much cheaper. In any event, after trying again for $139 and failing, I'd decided to keep my reservation at the Hotel Fita. It's currently #4 of hotels on TripAdvisor and the breakfast does appear to be excellent.

We're not usually big breakfast eaters (plus we'll be going on a 12 night cruise and will eat plenty then), and there's no way I'd ever pay the ridiculous price to eat at the hotel. There are places to eat much better for much cheaper. In any event, after trying again for $139 and failing, I'd decided to keep my reservation at the Hotel Fita. It's currently #4 of hotels on TripAdvisor and the breakfast does appear to be excellent.

I agree about the price of breakfast in the hotel ..we never eat in the hotel unless it is included in the price ..so many good place to eat in Amsterdam & less $$

Enjoy

I agree about the price of breakfast in the hotel ..we never eat in the hotel unless it is included in the price ..so many good place to eat in Amsterdam & less $$

Enjoy

Yes, I'll have to find someplace to have breakfast (or brunch) when we arrive on Saturday. I'm sure it won't be that difficult.

Edited by MisterBill99

Yes, I'll have to find someplace to have breakfast (or brunch) when we arrive on Saturday. I'm sure it won't be that difficult.

There are lots of nice little cafes just find one that suits your budget

You could even try HEMA for a quick snack

Try the Dutch pancake

I just looked at the location of the Hotel Fita it is quite a way from the Centrum...If it were me I would take a chance on bidding on a 4 or 5 * in the Central area

It depends on what you want to do and see I guess ..maybe the location is good for you

YMMV

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

• 9 months later...

"Central" seems to cover a lot of territory. I bid in February for a May hotel stay and got the NH Carleton for $92. They get mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but for the money I won't complain because most of the hotels are over $200 a night. We arrive in Amsterdam at 6:30AM and I know we will be exhausted by the time we reach the hotel. We will take the train into Central Station and a tram to our hotel area.

The Carleton says their check-in time is 3:00PM - what are the odds of us getting a room earlier so we can take a quick nap and head out touring? Do you think giving the front desk clerk a few Euros will help our chances of getting into a room quickly? They have 318 rooms and we will arrive on a Thursday morning, I hope we have good luck with an early check-in.

Thanks,

Marion

"Central" seems to cover a lot of territory. I bid in February for a May hotel stay and got the NH Carleton for $92. They get mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but for the money I won't complain because most of the hotels are over $200 a night. We arrive in Amsterdam at 6:30AM and I know we will be exhausted by the time we reach the hotel. We will take the train into Central Station and a tram to our hotel area.

The Carleton says their check-in time is 3:00PM - what are the odds of us getting a room earlier so we can take a quick nap and head out touring? Do you think giving the front desk clerk a few Euros will help our chances of getting into a room quickly? They have 318 rooms and we will arrive on a Thursday morning, I hope we have good luck with an early check-in.

Thanks,

Marion

You could always email the hotel & ask if they have early check in

we got lucky at the Movenpick & got a room when we arrived at 8:30 am ..not so lucky at the Barbizon but at least they stored our bags for us while we went off sightseeing

Good luck

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

You could always email the hotel & ask if they have early check in

we got lucky at the Movenpick & got a room when we arrived at 8:30 am ..not so lucky at the Barbizon but at least they stored our bags for us while we went off sightseeing

Good luck

Lyn

Brilliant Lyn, that's what I will do. I know they will hold our luggage but DH won't be able to stay awake. I can go for 24 hours plus before I crash but not him. We were in Spain in November and arrived at the hotel at 9:30AM - our room wasn't ready until 11AM. I went for a walk to see the sights and he fell asleep in the lobby! LOL

Marion

Brilliant Lyn, that's what I will do. I know they will hold our luggage but DH won't be able to stay awake. I can go for 24 hours plus before I crash but not him. We were in Spain in November and arrived at the hotel at 9:30AM - our room wasn't ready until 11AM. I went for a walk to see the sights and he fell asleep in the lobby! LOL

Marion

My DH sleeps on the plane I just doze I am usually the one that drags him off to walk as well other wise he would sleep all day ;)

Sleeping in the lobby might get a room faster though LOL

Enjoy the trip

Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
I bid the central zone and got NH Carleton for $92 and we are staying for 2 nights before our May river cruise. Hotel gets OK reviews but I wish it were closer to the Central Station.

Marion

I am sure it will be fine

That is just the way PL works ..sometimes you get a great location sometimes not

At least the price is right ;)

Enjoy Amsterdam

Lyn

I am sure it will be fine

That is just the way PL works ..sometimes you get a great location sometimes not

At least the price is right ;)

Enjoy Amsterdam

Lyn

Once we figure out where we are located it won't be a problem. I have been to Amsterdam before and it is an easy city to get around. We really aren't too far from the must see attractions and don't mind walking. We are pretty close to the Anne Frank House.

Marion

Once we figure out where we are located it won't be a problem. I have been to Amsterdam before and it is an easy city to get around. We really aren't too far from the must see attractions and don't mind walking. We are pretty close to the Anne Frank House.

Marion

Yes I love Amsterdam & the ease of getting around I think we must have walked miles there

We got on the tram going the wrong way one time but we had a nice scenic tour along the way ;)

Lyn

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Unfortunately,this thread isn’t very active!! Anyhow, I just accepted a Priceline Express Deal for the Museum area in Amsterdam. I researched the offer--and was pretty sure before I bid which hotel I would get. Happily I paid $140/night for a 4 star Park Hotel. It is listed on the Priceline site for $180. Not a huge bargain, but it’s in a super location and, other than complaints from a few months ago about construction, it gets a 9* rating.

I'd like to bid but am not sure what hotel I'd end up with, can't quite figure out the way the zones are set up nor can I find posts about what people have got recently. We'll be in Amsterdam for two nights June 2nd week, coming off a cruise and then heading out to Paris, so I want to be in the Centraal area, which zone would that be? Thanks for any tips:)

I'd like to bid but am not sure what hotel I'd end up with, can't quite figure out the way the zones are set up nor can I find posts about what people have got recently. We'll be in Amsterdam for two nights June 2nd week, coming off a cruise and then heading out to Paris, so I want to be in the Centraal area, which zone would that be? Thanks for any tips:)

I have scored great deals on NYOP and have been very pleased with my wins in Amsterdam. I start bidding very early and really low ball. :D I increase by 1 or 2 dollars daily until I get a win. (since you will be there in June, you will be starting your bidding much later than I)

Unfortunately, the zones cover a lot of area. Personally, I would be satisfied with a 4 or 5 star in any of the following zones: 1) Jordaan - Canal Belt West - Ann Frank House; 2) Museum Quarter - Vondelpark ; 3)Royal Palaca - Central Station - Dam Square

If you are catching the train to Paris, of the choices above, #3 will put you closest to Centraal Station.

Check-out http://www.betterbidding.com This will help you see which hotels have recently been won.

Also check the following on TripAdvisor (scroll back through the posts to see what has recently been won):

Bidding on 4 star hotel Amsterdam: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k2906561-o2740-Bidding_on_a_4_star_in_the_center-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Bidding on 5 star hotel Amsterdam: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k2906577-o880-Bidding_on_a_5_star_in_the_centrum-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Edited by dogs4fun

Unfortunately,this thread isn’t very active!! Anyhow, I just accepted a Priceline Express Deal for the Museum area in Amsterdam. I researched the offer--and was pretty sure before I bid which hotel I would get. Happily I paid $140/night for a 4 star Park Hotel. It is listed on the Priceline site for $180. Not a huge bargain, but it’s in a super location and, other than complaints from a few months ago about construction, it gets a 9* rating.

I did not know you could bid on the Express deals or are you saying you just checked the hotels then did the NYOP?

WOW they have a lot more Zones to confuse people now:D

I would start with Zone 15 on the NYOP section if you do not get your bid accepted then try Zone 6 or 11 they are walking distance to a lot of places

Choose a 4 or 5*

Better bidding is a good place to start & see what others have gotten

I would start about $100 & work your way up in small increments

Looks like the 5* in Royal Palaca - Central Station is Renaissance Amsterdam Hotel

4* or 4.5* could be Barbizon Palace

Good luck

I have scored great deals on NYOP and have been very pleased with my wins in Amsterdam. I start bidding very early and really low ball. :D I increase by 1 or 2 dollars daily until I get a win. (since you will be there in June, you will be starting your bidding much later than I)

Unfortunately, the zones cover a lot of area. Personally, I would be satisfied with a 4 or 5 star in any of the following zones: 1) Jordaan - Canal Belt West - Ann Frank House; 2) Museum Quarter - Vondelpark ; 3)Royal Palaca - Central Station - Dam Square

If you are catching the train to Paris, of the choices above, #3 will put you closest to Centraal Station.

Check-out www.betterbidding.com This will help you see which hotels have recently been won.

Also check the following on TripAdvisor (scroll back through the posts to see what has recently been won):

Bidding on 4 star hotel Amsterdam: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k2906561-o2740-Bidding_on_a_4_star_in_the_center-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Bidding on 5 star hotel Amsterdam: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k2906577-o880-Bidding_on_a_5_star_in_the_centrum-Amsterdam_North_Holland_Province.html

Thanks a lot for the tips dogs4fun. Am kind of diffident about this, concerned I'll get something which doesn't suit us. I just booked a Hotwire ED for a Saturday in August and got the Okura at $129. The hotel is said to be good and the price too I think, especially since for the Sail AMS weekend, but we have an early flight out the next morning and the hotel location isn't very convenient for the bus/train to Schipol.

How far ahead do I need to start bidding for June, we'll be there 9th-11th. I have been following the long threads on Trip Advisor, but need to look up Betterbidding also before getting started.

Thanks again, really appreciate it:)

How far ahead do I need to start bidding for June, we'll be there 9th-11th. I have been following the long threads on Trip Advisor, but need to look up Betterbidding also before getting started.

Thanks again, really appreciate it:)

I would start now

I bid the same time frame a few yrs ago & started in Feb just kept watching BB site to see what others got in my Zone

Good luck

Yes, start bidding now. I always start bidding about 5 months before my expected arrival dates. If you are looking for a hotel convenient to Centraal Station (for train to Schipol), then I would concentrate on only zone #3.

Barbizon Plaza is very convenient - right across the street (Prins Hendrkkade) from Centraal Station. Barbizon is only about a 5 - 10 minute stroll to Dam Square - trams leave from the front of Centraal Station.

Also convenient to Centraal Station: Park Plaza Victoria & Renaissance Amsterdam.

Edited by dogs4fun