Newbie here...questions and excitement all over

Jasper1999

HI everyone,

Going on my first cruise this Sept on Carnival Fantasy and while I have a million questions I also have a major jonesing for relaxation.

Biggest things I'd like to know is about food - I have tons of food allergies so having to eat whatever's on the menu doesn't work for me normally. I'm assuming the menus for the main dining rooms are posted somehow but does anyone know how they work around food allergies?

Also does anyone know if the little restaurants on the ship are included in your fee or do you have to put them on your ship card thingy. Like the bistro, mongolian, pizza places mostly on Lido deck.

Thanks,

J

Welcome.

You will get Carnival specific info on the Carnival boards. Most cruise lines are sensative & accomodating to food allergies & picky eaters. Servers are eager to please. Ask questions & they will get you correct answers.

There are for extra fee restaurants & included venues. The MDR, the buffet & what's being served out by the pool are generally included. Room service is also complementary but you should tip the people who bring your food.

HI everyone,

Going on my first cruise this Sept on Carnival Fantasy and while I have a million questions I also have a major jonesing for relaxation.

Biggest things I'd like to know is about food - I have tons of food allergies so having to eat whatever's on the menu doesn't work for me normally. I'm assuming the menus for the main dining rooms are posted somehow but does anyone know how they work around food allergies?

Also does anyone know if the little restaurants on the ship are included in your fee or do you have to put them on your ship card thingy. Like the bistro, mongolian, pizza places mostly on Lido deck.

Thanks,

J

Menu's are posted daily on your TV (unless you are on an older ship) or outside the dinning room. Anything on the Lido (cept booze) is free, only the steak house or ships with certain other restaurants are additional charge, however the BBq, the pizza, the bistro etc all free but have hours of operation (check your daily hand out left on bed night before)

I've never cruised on Carnival, but HAL has a policy that requests you inform them prior to sailing (form to submit). I expect Carnival has a similar policy, which is designed to allow them to help you manage your food allergies while on-board. Check their web site for food allergy FAQs.

While menus are posted, figuring our what is in the ingredients can be an exercise in frustration. Also, since they are fixing 1000s of meal a day, cross contamination is always a concern.

Before your cruise contact Carnival to make them aware of your needs.

When you board, talk to the Maitre 'd or Head waiter to verify they are going to have the right food for you. DO NOT talk to your waiter about it. They are not trained for thing like allergies.

Each cruiseline has a "special needs' dept....let them know of your allergies.

Not all restaurants are included in your fare. The main dining room and the buffet always are included, but there may be other options on your ship...go to your cruiseline's boards and ask specific questions.

HI everyone,

Thanks,

J

Your best bet is to contact the special needs department of the cruise line, and inform them of your allergies. What generally will happen is that someone from the kitchn (a head chef, sometimes the maitre d', sometimes someone from the special needs department itself) will meet with you each day and go through the menu with you, determining what you can and can't eat. Sometimes they'll suggest alternatives, other times they'll have the food specially prepared to suit. Generally though, they'll only work with the main dining room (not the specialty restaurants), but you'd want to check with the special needs department to see about that.

If you have severe allergies you'd want to stay away from the buffet, as the opportunity for cross-contamination is great: people will use the same serving spoon for dishes next to each other, for example; you might be allergic to one and not the other, but the spoon will contaminate it. Also be careful of foods left sitting out, like bar snacks. If, say, you're allergic to peanuts and you avoid those, but eat the snack crackers -- they may well have been in a container that had peanuts in it before, or someone who ate peanuts also dips into the cracker bowl.

Menus for the dining rooms are posted, but depending on what your allergies are, it's hard to tell exactly what's in the food and how it's prepared.

I haven't been on carnival but I have been on royal caribbean and each night after dinner in the main dining room our waiter would bring out the next nights menu for my sister to look at and if she had questions about ingredients or substitutions she asked at that time and everything was ready for her the next night.

It is a good idea to contact them ahead of time though just to let them know of your allergies.

As others have already said, with food allergies, it is best to contact the special Needs department of the specific cruise line. there should be a link on their Home page. some allergies are merely annoying and many are life-threatening. You are in the best position to make that determination and notify those who will be responsible for preparing your meals.

I have taken between 20 and 30 cruises and still get very excited as each new one gets closer. I envy you the experience of your first cruise. Enjoy!

Ciao,

Nikki

• 1 month later...

I wanted to take a minute to offer a series of blog posts I just wrote about cruising with allergies (I'm gluten, dairy, soy free) and what to expect. Personally, I had a pretty rough go, and wasn't very... impressed.

But! I did do several things to help myself, such as packing a whole bunch of "safe" stuff in my luggage.

If you're interested, the posts begin here: http://www.dandelionsonthewall.com/2012/05/travelling-with-mdds-and-food.html

Not trying to be snarky, but how do you hand your son's allergies when eating in a land-based restaurant? You would handle them the same way on a ship.

Roz

Archived