Does it rain the whole time???

VickieAnn

I know this is a crazy thought but from everything I have read it seems like it rains everyday in Alaska. lol We are leaving Friday July 13 on Radience of the Sea from Seward and I am having a hard time planning what to wear because I feel like I will be wet everyday.lol Please tell me this is not so. I am not sure which stop comes in what order but I know we go to Juneau, Ketchikan, Icy Point Strait and Skagway. Are some areas wetter then others? Should I plan on rain everyday and be glad if it doesn't happen? We have always gone to the Caribbean and I run around all day in either a swimsuit, sun dress or capris all with flip flops. I had read somewhere that someone made the comment they never had open toed shoes on the whole time they were in Alaska. I am ok with that but need to know about sandals at least in the evening. Someone else had told me you have to wear shoes that grip well because the decks that aren't covered are always wet, is this true? I have posted about clothing over on the other site but thought this was a different thought. lol:D

Thanks for your help.

Others with more experience will be along shortly, but SE Alaska is a rain forest, so you have to plan for rain, and hope it's dry. Alaska weather is variable. We went last May, and had weather ranging from steady rain in Ketchikan to sunny & 75 in Juneau, just 2 days apart.

I did wear open-toe sandals, but made sure I was wearing my tennis shoes when we were going to be outside for an extended time.

It honestly depends on your luck.

August 2011, 7 day cruise Vancouver to Whittier. It rained / drizzled everyday since we left Vancouver. There's no huge downpours, thank God, but annoy none the less. The rain didn't let up until the day after we landed in Whittier, when I was on my way to Talkeetna. Thank God for that too, otherwise I would had to cancel my Mt McKinley flight trip.

We have done 7 cruises to Alaska and have been up there in May (5 times) and once each in August and September.

No, it is not always raining, but it can rain anytime. :) However, I think the best way to approach planning for an Alaska cruise is to be prepared for rain every day. That way you will be ready for it, and if it doesn't rain, you will not be disappointed. ;)

We always pack umbrellas and hooded windbreakers, and yet we have had to use them for rain, maybe only about 5 times. Perhaps we have been lucky.

May is by far our favorite month, and in those five May cruises, we have had about 2 days of rain. On the other hand, our last Alaska cruise was in mid-September and we had sunny days each day, with a couple reaching temps in the 70s. So, you never know.

As far as foot gear goes, yep, bring shoes which will keep your feet dry. Some excursions may involve being on boats, walking a trail or two, or even on snow or a glacier.

Just be prepared. Even if it does rain, it is part of the wonderful Alaska experience, and remember that you are still one of the best vacations going: a cruise! :D Hope this helps a bit. Have a great time! Alaska is awesome!

Late June 2007 - beautiful in Vancouver (sunny in the high 70s), drizzle in Ketchikan (but not enough to stop our floatplane ride or viewing the scenery), overcast in Juneau and then beautiful the rest of the trip. Jacket weather until Denali and then warm enough for just a long sleeve shirt. Overcast on the day we left Anchorage. Going again in late July and would be mighty pleased (and grateful) if the weather was similar!

We cruised from Seward to Vancouver in early May. It stormed our first night out of Seward and rained every day but 1 all the way to Vancouver. Sitka was drizzle, but Ketchikan was a torrential downpour. Glacier Bay was cold but sunny (no rain all that day).

Then we took a cruisetour in August from Vancouver North to Skagway. It was raining when we boarded in Vancouver. Then we didn't see rain again for about 4 days. Then we had 2 days of rain in the Yukon and 2 more days of rain in Northern Alaska (Eagle, Tok, Fairbanks & Denali).

So as others have said, be prepared for rain, then thank the Gods if it doesn't rain.

many of the excursions are on boats, boat decks get wet..yes, it's nice to make sure you have on non-slip soles on your shoes. skayway and ketchikan had many small stones around the streets/walk ways..open toe shoes may be uncomfortable if the stones get in.

where shoes that are comfortable for walking in/around uneven ground..

Up here in Alaska, the best way to keep it from raining is to put on all your rain gear ;)

In Southeast, it rains a lot. In Anchorage and the Interior not as bad.

In fact, it is bright and sunny up here in Anchorage today.

There is one thing about alaska weather. We can get stuck into fixed patterns for a while. So, it can rain everyday ir be sunny for a week.

All you can do is check the long term forecast for the region you are traveling to-just before you leave and be prepared.

Each area has its own characteristics and patterns (Skagway is generally better weather and Ketchikan is noted for its rain).

Of course, it can rain anywhere anytime or vice versa. When we went 2 years ago, the forecasts were first calling for good weather and then switched to rain a few days before we left. We went expecting rain, but the weather was fantastic (see review below). So the bottom line, you won't know until you get there.

I can say that I have captured almost 300 time lapse videos over the last 2 years (see link in signature) and only a few were really bad (and I am sure the people who were on them still had a great time).

Some videos for examples

This one is from the Coral Princess which does the same itinerary as you, and starts out really went and nasty, but turns into a fabulous ending...

This one is a bit longer than the normal ones I do because its a slower rate but one of my favorites.

there are almost 300 more to choose from.....

As another said its a tropical rain forrest and as such expect rain, but even in tropical rain forrest the sun does come out.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best, don't count on the weather forecast one bit before you leave, weather changes fast in Alaska.

This is a fun thread!! :-) It makes me smile & laugh. Yes, it rains a LOT in Ketchikan! But....July is the driest & warmest months of the year too. That being said, we still get about 7 inches of rain (almost as much as San Diego, CA gets the whole YEAR!) and the average temp is only about 65. Here's a site with details of Ketchikan's Weather.

As everyone says, plan for rain and hope for sun! There's no way to predict, but you can get lucky, especially in July! Enjoy!!

This is a fun thread!! :-) It makes me smile & laugh. Yes, it rains a LOT in Ketchikan! But....July is the driest & warmest months of the year too. That being said, we still get about 7 inches of rain (almost as much as San Diego, CA gets the whole YEAR!) and the average temp is only about 65. Here's a site with details of Ketchikan's Weather.

As everyone says, plan for rain and hope for sun! There's no way to predict, but you can get lucky, especially in July! Enjoy!!

We must have lucked out then, Ketchikan was warm & sunny both times we visited and partly cloudy/sunny skies in Glacier Bay & Hubbard.:D On my two trips to AK I only opened my umbrella for a significant amount of rain once (Sitka). We did have drizzle on sailing days and in a couple other ports but were under cover most of the time.

I've been envisioning how things will be when I go back to the same locations thinking the weather will be the same but it could be totally different. I need to start envisioning myself holding an umbrella;):)

As another said its a tropical rain forrest .

we are a temperate rain forest. and last year we set a record rainfall and it really didn't make my tomatoes happy.

but oddly, it was always sunny and warm when one of the cruise ships were in town.

some time this summer ..... "The World" is laying over in Petersburg.

Then we took a cruisetour in August from Vancouver North to Skagway. It was raining when we boarded in Vancouver. Then we didn't see rain again for about 4 days. Then we had 2 days of rain in the Yukon and 2 more days of rain in Northern Alaska (Eagle, Tok, Fairbanks & Denali).

Just so that readers of this thread are not confused, Eagle, Tok, Fairbanks and Denali are not in "Northern Alaska." Eagle, Tok, Fairbanks and Denali are located in Interior Alaska. Since these descriptions are considered, by Alaskan residents, to be terms describing large geographic areas, we (Alaskans) tend to capitalize the first letter of these terms (ie, Interior Alaska, instead of interior Alaska). To Alaskans, "Northern Alaska" is north of the Brooks Range.

We also tend to talk much about the rain in Southeast Alaska because if visitors are not prepared for serious rain in that region they could have problems (Note that as an Alaskan I had to capitalize the "S.").

It drizzled or rained essentially the entire time we were in Alaska. Dressing while in port is all about dressing for the weather. Unlike Carribean cruises, you'll find most people dressed in jeans, hiking shoes, fleece, and rain gear. I wouldn't be too discouraged though - - Alaska is one of the most amazing places you'll see on this earth, and no amount of overcast skies or drizzle can take away from it's majesty. We are looking forward to going again this June - we will be sure to bring our raingear, and can't wait to experience it all again!

well, it is April, and we still have 4-5' of snow....Temps are in the high 30's-low 40's and it rarely gets above 65 in the Anchorage area. Yes it rains alot....Summer is our rainy season, but that doesn't mean it rains every day....all day.....I would venture to say, only if you are Alaskan would you wear open toed shoes here....once it gets to be above 30 degrees kids will start wearing shorts and tee shirts up here....I ran my dogs yesterday at 35 degrees with no jacket and no gloves...but yes, I had them in the sled with me in case I needed them....and I was fine....most people would not be....If you come to Alaska this summer, I do hope you get to do a dog sled adventure...It is an amazing experience...

We will be do independent touring arriving in Anchorage on June 14 and doing touring the Kenai Peninsula from June 15 thru June 22.

Do you think there is a good chance the snow would be melted by then. Been there twice in mid June and there wasn't any snow and it was gorgeous.

I realize you can't predict weather but based on other years and how the snow usually melts what is your opinion?

We will be do independent touring arriving in Anchorage on June 14 and doing touring the Kenai Peninsula from June 15 thru June 22.

Do you think there is a good chance the snow would be melted by then. Been there twice in mid June and there wasn't any snow and it was gorgeous.

I realize you can't predict weather but based on other years and how the snow usually melts what is your opinion?

By the middle of June, the only snow you will find is in the mountains, on trails under a lot of shade and, of course, the snow mountains where the city dumps all the snow from the roads and parking lots. They say that some of the "mountains" may not melt all the way this year.......

of course, the snow mountains where the city dumps all the snow from the roads and parking lots. They say that some of the "mountains" may not melt all the way this year.......

In February I was touring Mendenhall with the trails manager and he pointed out Mount Marvin, named after the director of the visitor's center.

In February I was touring Mendenhall with the trails manager and he pointed out Mount Marvin, named after the director of the visitor's center.

I suppose some of the snow mountains sphere have names, but I think most would be unprintable ;)

Archived