Pros and cons of porthole staterooms?

cruzlovr75

I was maybe thinking about a porthole stateroom next cruise. Can you tell me your opinions about it? Tell me the pros and cons, thanks!

One thing that concerned me was that they are under the theatre, would noise be an issue?

Pros: Cheapest cabin, sunlight as well as a window to look out of

Cons: Front of the ship

Agreed. Ours was on Empress deck, so other than far forward it was a great location. We were under the theater and heard no noise. For what we paid we LOVED it.

This is E8 on Ecstasy.

bose005.jpg

bose003.jpg

We normally book inside cabins. Last year on the Paradise we had a porthole for the same price and took it. No fresh air in these rooms either, and since we are never in the room were glad we did not pay extra for it.

The woirse thing was being near the anchor...VERY LOUD!!!!

I'll stick to low inside Riviera deck mid-ship

I was in R12 on the Fascination last Dec. 10-15 and the first night was a little noisy. I mentioned the noise to my room steward the next morning, thinking the crew quarters might be underneath me. He said since I was so low on the ship, the sound I had heard were the waves hitting the ship. I guess I got used to the noise and since it didn't disturb me the rest of the cruise.

It was a good walk from the elevators, but it helped me burn all those extra calories I was consuming!

I loved the ledge under the window since it was the perfect place to enjoy my room service coffee every morning!

The price was excellent and I would definitely book another Porthole!

~Helen~

I agree with the pro of price for the cabin. However, if you book ES there is not much chance of a price drop, since they sell out so quickly.

There is anchor noise when you have a tender port, but it did not bother us. We will book one again, if available, but will look for non-connecting room next time. Too much noise from connecting room on our Dream cruise.

My parents will be in a PT cabin on Liberty in June. I will try to remember to post pics here.

Here is cabin 1208 on Dream:

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

I've enjoyed them, and we've got 3 booked for the Triumph this December. It's true that on the larger ships, the category PTs sell out very quickly, so not much chance of price drops if you use Early Saver. But if you are looking at a Fantasy class ship, there are plenty of PTs, and they take longer to sell out. If it's for a larger ship, you can look into the category 1As (upper/lower) with portholes, if you are not a couple. The 2nd bed is an upper bunk or a sofa bed, so the beds can't be pushed together. If you are friends or a parent/child, these rooms work great, and they're a little cheaper than the category PTs, and the category 1As take longer to sell out.

If you don't have a tendered port, they will not drop anchor, so that noise should not be much of a concern. We were right under the theater on the Dream, but I don't know if we could hear anything from our room, since we were never in the room during those times. The shows end by 11:30, and we were out and about until after that. The only thing we could hear were the waves the one day that we actually had some waves, plus a few ship noises when coming into or leaving port. On the Holiday, the waves were so huge, they were crashing against my porthole. That was a rough ride, but even people in midship rooms were getting sick on that cruise.

On Imagination, a little noise when the anchor went up and down but on the Splendor-OMG!! We thought the anchor was going through our cabin every time it went up or down-shaking plus the noise(for several minutes) was so loud, I could not even hear the TV on its very loudest. We just booked the Splendor on part of SA cruise and went to midship, lowest deck and inside and it will be perfect for us. Not sure why it was 10 times louder on Splendor than Imagination, but will never take that chance again.

I agree with the pro of price for the cabin. However, if you book ES there is not much chance of a price drop, since they sell out so quickly.

I got really lucky for my cruise on the Imagination in May. We got a $90.00 OBC applied for our porthole. We paid $448.00 for our 4 day cruise. That is $56.00 a night!

After the price drop, within a day all the cabins were gone. There were probably 10 available.

Tips are now paid for.

There is anchor noise when you have a tender port, but it did not bother us. We will book one again, if available, but will look for non-connecting room next time. Too much noise from connecting room on our Dream cruise.

My parents will be in a PT cabin on Liberty in June. I will try to remember to post pics here.

Here is cabin 1208 on Dream:

DSC_0191.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Wow that is the clearest view from a porthole than we have ever had!

Pros - Price, natural light

Cons - Only thing we could think of is a very long walk when we went to the dining room.

Porthole rooms are great, we would do them again, those are all we ever booked (except for our upcoming cruise LOL) Never did hear the anchor, but then again we are heavy sleepers and being so far forward you get a lot of movement, but we enjoyed it as it rocked us to sleep :D

We normally book inside cabins. Last year on the Paradise we had a porthole for the same price and took it. No fresh air in these rooms either, and since we are never in the room were glad we did not pay extra for it.

The woirse thing was being near the anchor...VERY LOUD!!!!

I'll stick to low inside Riviera deck mid-ship

What room were you in? We are in U17 on Paradise next month. What do you mean by no fresh air? Thanks!

Kim

luvsmydog, means they do not open up like having a balcony room.

Well I just assumed since it wasn't a balcony room we were discussing, of course there would be no doors to open up. Just confused me a little, that's all! My mind is sloooowww this morning and it's not even Monday.

Kim

The interesting thing about Porthole cabins is Carnival considers them a downgrade from an interior cabin, as is evident by the fact that a Porthole cabin is priced the same regardless of what deck it is on.

I once had booked an interior cabin on the Paradise and noticed that a porthole cabin across the hall had become available, so I called Carnival to see about switching cabins as they were the same price. The phone rep said that it would be no problem, but we would be downgrading. I asked how a cabin with a window, 3 feet away from my interior windowless cabin could be a downgrade? She said it was, so why fight their confusing logic, I grabbed the Porthole cabin.

If I am not mistaken, under the old cabin class structure the Porthole cabins were 5A's and were an upgrade from the interior cabins.

Archived