Freedom o the Seas..

I made the switch from Carnival Dream to Freedom of the Seas RCCL. We have done 10 cruises with Carnival and really feel the service has slipped. Decided to try RCCL for our Christmas cruise this year.

Do people deck their rooms for Christmas. What about the cruise ship ? Anything special for Christmas ?

Also my son wants to take scuba lessons. Will this onboard course get him open water PADI certification or just for diving with instructors?

many Thanks

Charleyann

I made the switch from Carnival Dream to Freedom of the Seas RCCL. We have done 10 cruises with Carnival and really feel the service has slipped. Decided to try RCCL for our Christmas cruise this year.

Do people deck their rooms for Christmas. What about the cruise ship ? Anything special for Christmas ?

Also my son wants to take scuba lessons. Will this onboard course get him open water PADI certification or just for diving with instructors?

many Thanks

Charleyann

I think you will love the Freedom! Don't forget to pre-register for your shows so that you can get the times that you want to go. They just scan your Sea Pass card as you enter the theatre, not tickets required.

RC will put up several different Christmas trees around the ship and decorate the Royal Promenade with a Christmas theme - really nice. I have also seen pictures from others who decorated their cabins for Christmas.

I'm not sure about the scuba certification - I know I have seen scuba lessons offered in the pool in the past. Just call Royal Caribbean and ask.

Hope you enjoy Royal Caribbean!

many Thanks

Charleyann

I have taken the scuba lessons and I do not think it qualifies for certification. They just teach you the basics in the pool and that's really it. If I am wrong someone please correct me.

It consisted of swimming around the pool with the instructor.

We were on EX for New Years, and we had a cabin on deck 6 right next to the forward atrium, so every time we used the stairs/elevator, we could go out to the little overlook right by that Christmas tree and look down the lovely decorated Promenade. In my opinion, it was a great location for a cabin. We also stood on that overlook to view events that were held in the promenade (like the 70's party), or to hear events (like trivia or name that tune that were taking place in the Schooner lounge) without having to stand in those crowded venues. It was a wonderful short pop down to the promenade cafe for a quick beverage or snack. And, when we wanted to go to a venue at the aft of the ship (like the MDR or Windjammer), we'd walk down one flight to deck 5 and through the Promenade to use the aft elevator/stairs - much nicer than walking through the cabin passageways. Explorer left from NJ in December, and we had bad weather, yet I didn't feel any excessive movement being in the front of the ship.

You made a good choice. I took my family on Freedom in dec 2011. The ship was decorated with trees on the promenade. Pointsettas were all over the ship. Christmas wreaths were hanging up. People had their doors decorated with Christmas themes. Hope this helps.

We took a 2ft christmas tree with battery operated lights, window clings for the balcony door and a life size santa cut out for our cabin door, many times when we tried to leave the cabin there would be kids getting their picture taken with our Santa. Also on Christmas Day they have a great photo scene at the ice rink, people skating and Santa sat in front of a huge fireplace, giving gifts to all the kids.

I think you will love the Freedom! Don't forget to pre-register for your shows so that you can get the times that you want to go. They just scan your Sea Pass card as you enter the theatre, not tickets required.

RC will put up several different Christmas trees around the ship and decorate the Royal Promenade with a Christmas theme - really nice. I have also seen pictures from others who decorated their cabins for Christmas.

I'm not sure about the scuba certification - I know I have seen scuba lessons offered in the pool in the past. Just call Royal Caribbean and ask.

Hope you enjoy Royal Caribbean!

Thanks for the great tips !!! What shows are you referring too? The evening shows? Many thanks

Charleyann

I made the mistake of cruising on Carnival Dream instead of Freedom of the Seas in January to save a few hundred dollars. You get what you pay for. You made the right move.

Thanks Epcot Bill. I think you are right. the price difference was under $100 and with y bonus with TA I ended up with $100 obc and gratuties prepaid ! So , I paid a difference of $20 !

We are on the Disney Fantasy just before this cruise...

charleyann

We took a 2ft christmas tree with battery operated lights, window clings for the balcony door and a life size santa cut out for our cabin door, many times when we tried to leave the cabin there would be kids getting their picture taken with our Santa. Also on Christmas Day they have a great photo scene at the ice rink, people skating and Santa sat in front of a huge fireplace, giving gifts to all the kids.

That is awesome!!! I will bring a little battery lite tree and have a promenade room with bow window. I can use window clings and battery operated lights. The skating ring decked for Christmas is a neat idea !!

Thank you RCCL Fan for welcoming me to the club !

• 2 weeks later...

You and your family will have so much fun. Since you will be on Disney's new ship just prior, you will have a good comparison. they are both about the same size, Disney has the Aquaduck, and Freedom has the Flowrider, and the ice rink. Disney has the beautiful centrum area, and Freedom has the promenade, with the shops, parades, and food. Enjoy

We LOVED the Freedom....and while we liked the Magic (sister ship of the Dream) the Freedom was much better as far as crowds go. However, we didn't go during the holidays.

We met a great couple on the Freedom that were doing the SCUBA classes. I thought for sure they were considered certified after the completion because they actually went on a dive at our last island. I'm not 100% sure about it since it was us doing it. However, they did say they kind of wished they had done it prior to the trip because it took up more time then they thought it would. There were lots of classes, including "homework"-which was reading "a lot" according to this couple and then taking a written exam. They personally felt it took up too much time of their hard earned vacation time, but they both enjoyed the experience overall.

Archived