LOCAL VILLAGE BAR vs. JACK'S SHACK Grand Turk

FloatingSunGoddess

Wow, this thread is like a roller coaster ride. :confused: I guess I will have to weigh in. Put me down for a vote for Jack's :cool:. I was there last year and had a fantastic time. Good drinks, good people, great food, great beach and a free shot of the local rum. I will be back there in two months to repeat the process. :D

• 2 months later...

Just returned from Carnival cruise to Grand Turk. Wives wanted to stop at Margaritaville, $7 local beers, free wifi. Wifi ran like it had 200 people on it, which it did. Loungers were free, though. Walked down the beach about 2 blocks to Local Village Bar and met Arthur, manager. Very friendly and hard worker, fast wifi, $3 local beers, and free loungers! Bar menu featuring Conch fritters 4 for $2. Tried their Rum punch which was generously spiked. I joked to Arthur "I don't think mine has Rum in it" and he topped it off with straight Rum! Did it for others, too! Fun atmosphere. Highly recommended.

I haven't been to Local Village, however this is my experience from Jack's Shack...

We were there at the end of May, and most of the drinks were good, but when we got there we were told it would be an hour before the jerk chicken was ready...no prob, we ordered drinks and my friends ordered burgers. An hour later they said it would be another 30 minutes...no prob we ordered more drinks. We went inside to get some souvenirs and use the bathroom, and when we came out I saw that several people had jerk chicken. I went to the same server that we had been using all day and said that I would like some chicken and she said that it was all spoken for and that more would be ready in half an hour.

Sorry but for me this is not acceptable, we left and I won't be going back when I am there in November.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any fish to see off the beach in front of the Local Village and or Jack's Shack? Is it worth carrying my snorkel gear down to those spots? I'm not expecting tons of fish, just interesting underwater sights.

Thanks

Are there any fish to see off the beach in front of the Local Village and or Jack's Shack? Is it worth carrying my snorkel gear down to those spots? I'm not expecting tons of fish, just interesting underwater sights.

Thanks

not really... there is pretty heavy swimming, boat, waves there, you would have to swim out a ways to see anything

We were there June 2012...there were a lot of fish directly in front of local village...there are several rock and coral formations that fish were around. I loved it...big and small...lots of colors!!! I took my own snorkle and mask and layed across a raft...had a blast...but this year I'll rent a vest and flippers so I can move easier. Local village rents equipment cheap!

does Jack's or local Village sell T-shirts with their logo's and in 2 or 3 x sizes?Think we will go to both places and stay at local village( cheaper drinks) then back to the ship.....1pm to 7pm.:)

Yes, Jack's has a little shop there with a number of items. We have a shirt (he has larger sizes, hat and shot glass:) Don't forget your camera to take pics of their awesome dog, Topher (and maybe Cooper if he's behaving)...Topher digs in the sand hunting crabs for hours. If you're lucky he may even take a swim with you!:)

Edited by Irishlinny

• 2 months later...

Put me down for the Village Bar. It had more of a 'Caribbean' feel to it, the owner/bartender was friendly and welcoming, the wifi was stronger and the drink/food portions were generous for the price but limited selection compared to Jacks.

I decided when I went on the cruise last year that I wanted to experience more of the 'local' things. I didn't have a single beer on the ship and stuck to the umbrella drinks I can't order here and retain my manhood so I ordered local beers in port. I wanted to find the smaller local places to eat.

The funny thing is that when we first walked up the beach and sat at the bar I thought it was Jacks that I had heard so much about. There was even a dog running around playing in the water and with sea shells. I didn't see the mass appeal of the dog but the bird that kept dive bombing him was awesome! It was almost like they were friends and playing.

I was there in October 2011. Jack didn't seem to friendly, there was a weird vibe I was getting from him. His wife Janet was sweet. I had the jerk chicken and can't remember what drinks were ordered, but I wasn't that impressed with the drinks. The jerk chicken was good though.

I think what made Jack's fun that particular day was the fact that so many people were celebrating birthdays and one guy had a cake and banner for all of the Libras.

I'll be in GT this October (2013), but will not head to Jack's. I'll try the establishment I passed up to get to Jack's.

We went to both, but first we walked the 3 miles or so, to the 'town', where most of the tours seemed to go. The Segways were based in town, near the beach and there was also a very nice looking beach bar, nearby but I regret we didn't try it as we were much looking forward to going to Jacks, having heard many good things. We were less than impressed, as we felt a bit hustled, if we didn't drink fast enough. The drinks were strong but expensive, compared with other Caribbean islands. There was no conch, so we had chicken, which was a bit boney. As I have read the wifi was very slow and there was a poor signal, unless sitting in the shop.

The Village bar was ok, but Jacks probably had more local atmosphere. If we returned we would go to town and try the beach bar or go to the other side of the island away from the hordes.

IMO......last October we were in Grand Turk and after reading about Jack's decided we must check it out. We started walking and it was really HOT and Jack's is down the beach alittle ways. Local Village bar was closer but music was insanely loud!! First bar we came to was the Crew Bar. Not real crowded, free chairs and great food and drinks. My husband drank the local beer and I had dirty banana's! Awesome! Heading back to GT on the Breeze in May and planning on making the Crew Bar our only stop.

IMO......last October we were in Grand Turk and after reading about Jack's decided we must check it out. We started walking and it was really HOT and Jack's is down the beach alittle ways. Local Village bar was closer but music was insanely loud!! First bar we came to was the Crew Bar. Not real crowded, free chairs and great food and drinks. My husband drank the local beer and I had dirty banana's! Awesome! Heading back to GT on the Breeze in May and planning on making the Crew Bar our only stop.

Couldn't agree with you more! We've been to GT 3x in past 2 years. We've done Jack's Shack, Local Village Bar, Crew Bar, and M'Ville. We loved the Crew Bar! Cheap drinks and beer....a round for 6 of us was $23! We also loved having full access to their pool! We are heading back to GT in May again and will be heading back to the Crew Bar!

Couldn't agree with you more! We've been to GT 3x in past 2 years. We've done Jack's Shack, Local Village Bar, Crew Bar, and M'Ville. We loved the Crew Bar! Cheap drinks and beer....a round for 6 of us was $23! We also loved having full access to their pool! We are heading back to GT in May again and will be heading back to the Crew Bar!

We just got back earlier in january, when we went to GT we headed straight to the crew bar. Hung out with the owner for most of the day! She is awesome. Didn't half to pay for chairs, pool was great, food amazing. You must try the Conch Fritters, so good i got a second round right before we left! What an awesome place...All the drinks were great, beers a very reasonable price!

Where is the Crew Bar in comparison to the M-ville or Local Village?

We just got back earlier in january, when we went to GT we headed straight to the crew bar. Hung out with the owner for most of the day! She is awesome. Didn't half to pay for chairs, pool was great, food amazing. You must try the Conch Fritters, so good i got a second round right before we left! What an awesome place...All the drinks were great, beers a very reasonable price!

I was there in October 2011. Jack didn't seem to friendly' date=' there was a weird vibe I was getting from him. His wife Janet was sweet. I had the jerk chicken and can't remember what drinks were ordered, but I wasn't that impressed with the drinks. The jerk chicken was good though.

I think what made Jack's fun that particular day was the fact that so many people were celebrating birthdays and one guy had a cake and banner for all of the Libras.

I'll be in GT this October (2013), but will not head to Jack's. I'll try the establishment I passed up to get to Jack's.[/quote']

After reading some of these posts about Jack's Shack it sounds like Jack and his staff need to watch their p's and q's or they will loose lots of business to the Village Bar. They have competition now.

Where is the Crew Bar in comparison to the M-ville or Local Village?

Walk just past MV, once you get to the Volleyball net...look to your right, there is one small Canadian flag flying and a small bar, thats the Crew bar. Its the perfect place to spend the day!

I was there in October 2011. Jack didn't seem to friendly' date=' there was a weird vibe I was getting from him. His wife Janet was sweet. [/quote']

I completely agree. Jack was not a happy camper when we went in December 2011 but Janet was really nice.