What to put on door?

We always decorate our door and the cabin. The room stewards always get a kick out of it.

We also decorate the toweil animals and I have given some of them to the room stewards for thier cabins.

I do not know how do I post a picture here.

We designed them, but we had them commissioned from a friend who is an artist. Officially, I probably shouldn't. But, what I don't know doesn't hurt me.

Does your friend do newspaper or web comics? The style is a dead ringer for something I've seen before, but I can't think of the name. (Of the artist or comic.)

I've never thought of putting anything on my door, but I've often wished my parents had a white board on their door so I can leave them messages they won't miss. I have a feeling if I put one on their door it would just end up walking off.

Does your friend do newspaper or web comics? The style is a dead ringer for something I've seen before, but I can't think of the name. (Of the artist or comic.)

His name's Bill Holbrook. On the web, he does Kevin & Kell and he has two newspaper strips called Safe Havens and On the Fast Track.

Never really understood why anyone would want to decorate the door. Really don't like anything that draws attention to myself nor could possibly identify who is staying it the cabin. Never seen it done in hotels so why do it on cruise ship ? :confused:

Well I may not stay in alot of hotels, but I do own a 5th wheel and go to RV parks when I am not cruising and alot of campers also decorate their campsites. Flags with the last name are really popular. And you should see Disney Fort Wilderness Resort during the holidays! The resort and their guests will put your neighborhood housing developement to shame.

Decorating be it your home, dorm, rv, or hotel door is just fun and makes people smile, the proof is in all those decorating shows. Martha Stewart can certainly show you how to do some crafty holiday and celebration stuff.

Besides, why would anyone not try to make others feel good? People like to share their celebrations. Look at Facebook it's a very popular social sharing site. Heck look at how many people post celebrations here on this forum or on the Meet N Mingle thread. What's the difference if it's a posting online, or a balloon tied to a mailbox, a flag stuck in ground or a door sign?

I personally enjoy seeing them or and if you don't ...avoid DCL. They not only have door signs they decorate their whole entire doors and fellow passengers also do a gift exchange called a 'Fish Extender'. ...Guilty as charged, participated in my first ever Fish Extender last year and it was alot of fun! Almost didn't being that it was just hubby and I, but the folks on my sailing insisted especially since it was my 40th birthday. :)

Personally and this is just my opinion....I actually will go out of my way when I see a door sign just to see what it says. RCCL's room decoration package actually includes a door sign. :) I know because I just ordered one for someone that recently got married and sailed on Liberty of the Seas. I love the ones that are celebrating birthdays, honeymoons or anniversaries, they make me smile.....life is way too short as it is...celebrate and be proud of your accomplishments. :)

His name's Bill Holbrook. On the web, he does Kevin & Kell and he has two newspaper strips called Safe Havens and On the Fast Track.

Kevin & Kell, that's what I was trying to think of! The human faces threw me a bit. ;)

I enjoy looking a door decorations. We usually have a cabin mid ship - aft and I will sometimes in the evening before returning to room for the night to walk the entire deck we are on to check out the doors. It inspired me to decorate ours so that maybe someone could enjoy it as much as we do.

We were on a Halloween cruise and put the gel window decorations on the door. They started disappearing off the door one by one. So, I would recommend that you don't put anything on the door that you would be upset if it disappeared. We have also seen people take things off one door and put it on someone else's door down the hallway.

We have decorated on CCL but it was more to identify rooms as we had 5 rooms, 3 balconys (out of 4 in a row) and 2 insides down the hall with 19/23 girls and 17/21 boys.

SIL made signage with our logo (rockin' the boat 50 years; parent's anni) and we put all 10 of our names on it so no one could tell which room housed girls and which one had boys.

All the rooms also had a post-it pad and pen so notes could be left for any of us. It was so much fun!

We were on a Halloween cruise and put the gel window decorations on the door. They started disappearing off the door one by one. So, I would recommend that you don't put anything on the door that you would be upset if it disappeared. We have also seen people take things off one door and put it on someone else's door down the hallway.

Sounds more and more like a college dorm all the time.

I love putting something on our cabin door. But one cruise we had a foam palm tree on our "mailbox"....one night when I got back late, and had a few glasses of wine, I was knocking on a door that had the foam palm tree on it so my sister could let me in..it turned out someone moved the palm tree and I was knocking on the wrong door! The person came out hollering at me in a foreign language and I realized it was the wrong cabin!!!!! Pretty funny..but I think I'll also pay attention to the number now.

Our room numbers are right on our room key cards. Pretty hard to forget the room number unless we lose the card. The cabin attendant probably appears to get a kick out of it because they are working for tips and need to appear upbeat and friendly all the time. I would never put my name or personal info on my door. I can understand kids being excited by it. It doesn't bother me that others do it (only saw two on our deck) but I'd never do it myself.

I never thought of using Vista Point, I usually use my scrapbooking program to make our signs and DH really loves it so he can locate our room.:)

PrincessStar, love your sign, will check into using them for our next sign.

Thank you Desert Cruizers!

It was very easy! We have a very lively roll call for our upcoming cruise and thought it would be fun to create a sign for the door.

You can also create custom magnetic signs on the website, but I opted for one of their "canned" photos.

The price was reasonable too. That website is always sending emails with discounts and bogo deals.

Have a great day!

I decorate when the grandkids are with us and if we are celebrating anything on the cruise. In December, I wrapped our door like a package with snowmen all over it and a bow.

I like the idea of just glueing a magnet to a dry eraser (be sure and bring a whole package of them in case of thieves) to stick on the door so everyone can just make their own pics and notices right on the door (it comes off easily). You may be erasing a lot though :rolleyes:

PrincessStar, on our last cruise, several of us made additional door signs for some of our Roll Call Members, I have enjoyed using my Scapbooking Program and after printing on Photo paper, use the Magnetic Sheets to attach it to using the double sided sticky pads. here is an example I did for our CC Sign and used the same background for the other signs but changed the graphics depending on where they lived.

2535652870104352365S600x600Q85.jpg

PrincessStar, on our last cruise, several of us made additional door signs for some of our Roll Call Members, I have enjoyed using my Scapbooking Program and after printing on Photo paper, use the Magnetic Sheets to attach it to using the double sided sticky pads. here is an example I did for our CC Sign and used the same background for the other signs but changed the graphics depending on where they lived.

2535652870104352365S600x600Q85.jpg

Ooooh, that is awesome! Nicely done!

Thanks for sharing, always nice to see what others are doing. :D

Andrea, when I was handing out the door signs to the people I found I had two left and thought how am I ever going to find these people, LOL then said why locate them, just place it on their door. Several of us had made up both the CC & Roll call signs for the other members who requested them.

Gay

Never really understood why anyone would want to decorate the door. Really don't like anything that draws attention to myself nor could possibly identify who is staying it the cabin. Never seen it done in hotels so why do it on cruise ship ? :confused:

I'm with you. Knowing my cabin #, and that we are on the cruise (whether it be "just because" or a "celebration") is enough. Plus, I won't be around the outside of my door to enjoy it.

Of course, I am the same way at home. Xmas comes and we'll put a tree up, and a few decorations inside the house. Nothing is outside for the same reason. Why put something up when we'll only see it as we enter and exit the house.

Thanks Desert Cruizers, that is really cute and unique.

I don't decorate the door every cruise, but when we have group it is sort of fun and the kids love it.

Archived