Ridiculous scene of chair hogging on serenity/Carnival needs to wake up

Universe93B

I wish I would have taken a pic of the empty chairs on our cruise. Grrrr. I would say 85% had a towel, or shoes, or a book on them. We were so pissed! Finally my husband and I decided to remove the towels off two chairs in back row in the shade. This older woman sitting in a chair in the row in front of us, in the sun, looked back and said "those are MY chairs". I said "well can we sit here until your people get back?" and she says "no, you don't understand. They're MINE. My husband and I are going to move into the shade when we get hot." I was like OMG are you f-ing kidding me???? So I said "Lady, there are 3,000 some-odd people on this boat. You cannot have 4 chairs for 2 people!" She got all huffy and gave me the death-stare, but she did jerk her towels off the chairs and we got them. I WON:p

I wish I would have taken a pic of the empty chairs on our cruise. Grrrr. I would say 85% had a towel, or shoes, or a book on them. We were so pissed! Finally my husband and I decided to remove the towels off two chairs in back row in the shade. This older woman sitting in a chair in the row in front of us, in the sun, looked back and said "those are MY chairs". I said "well can we sit here until your people get back?" and she says "no, you don't understand. They're MINE. My husband and I are going to move into the shade when we get hot." I was like OMG are you f-ing kidding me???? So I said "Lady, there are 3,000 some-odd people on this boat. You cannot have 4 chairs for 2 people!" She got all huffy and gave me the death-stare, but she did jerk her towels off the chairs and we got them. I WON:p

Good for you. And that woman is an idiot.

Unbelievable! Now they're saving chairs in the sun and in the shade? Just move your chair into a shaded area for God's sake. And congrats on your win!

Bravo!

My wife and I were on the Dream last month (May) and we witnessed a lot of hogging as well. The first sea day on the Lido deck most of the chairs were hogged by 8:30 easily. We were able to get two of the last seats on the deck around this time and just couldn't believe all the hogging going on. Well other people started to come out wanting chairs and to our surprise a Carnival employee came to the chairs and pulled the top down and told the people standing around wanting chairs to wait 15 mins and he would remove all the belongings. Well after 15 mins he and another employee removed the items from about 20 or so chairs and took them to the towel counter. We started to clap and he said “I wonder how many issue’s I will have from this” (and he caught some slack when the hogs arrived later.) But he still did his job and it was great to see the people faces that finally showed up an hour later with this pissed off look on their face. They had nowhere to sit by then and it was perfect.

I just wished more chairs could have been saved from the hogs. There was an older couple in front of us (look to be in their mid-60’s) that had 5 chairs saved. They were sitting in 2 of them when we got out there but then got up and went to eat b-fast in the shade. We kept watching the husband come over and continually add items to these 5 chairs he had saved. So we watched them eat with some other folks for about an hour and a half and the whole time these chairs didn’t have a soul in them. Finally after they had enough shade and their bellies full they came back to the chairs and removed all the items and left. They let families walk around with no place to sit while they hogged these chairs and then didn’t use them. Just totally selfish individuals.

Later in the week on the last sea day we got out to Lido deck late, like 11:00 so we didn’t expect a seat, no biggie we just sat in the shade a deck up. Well there were 2 chairs next to a couple we had met that didn’t have anyone in them. We asked the couple next to them and they said they hadn’t seen them in about 2 hours. So we just sat in the shade for about another hour or more and I was just getting a little po’d watching these chairs not get used just hogged. So finally the couple comes out to their chairs and straightens their towel and walks off again, totally clothed, no bathing suits on, no books to read, no alcohol in hand, nothing. I don’t know when they were going to use these chairs and they were in no hurry and didn’t care that they had been saving them for around 3 hours now. Finally I had enough and went to the towel guy and told them the issue, he called the same guy that had removed items before and I told him what was going on. He timed the chairs for 15 mins and removed their belongings and then comes and finds us to give us those chairs (that was very cool). Well about 30 mins later the couple comes out (fully clothed) and says “those are our chairs” and asked for the towels and the chairs back thinking we were sitting on their Carnival towels. We just pointed them to the towel counter. They had this shock on their face, like how dare us take their chairs, and were pissed but I was happy. They had those chairs saved by that time for 4 hours, never sat in them and wanted them back. I just don’t understand that mentality thinking they owned those chairs. But we were totally pleased that items would be removed by a Carnival employee so maybe Carnival has gotten the message.

We were on the dream and 2 girls took some chairs that were not occupied for a few hours - well the "owners" came back and of course there was an argument then one of the chair hogs grabs the chair and flipps one of the girls out - then some people next to them started to clap as if they were happy the chair hogs did this! It was terrible and no ship crew were there to do anything or they just ignored it as no one came over - the girls just left.

• 1 year later...
Not sure what you mean. Are you saying it's a waste because the chairs are being saved and others can't use them, or are you saying the serenity deck should be open to all ages?

As to the chair hogs, when I get on the serenity deck (that's the only deck we use), if I see chairs with towels, shoes, etc., I take pic and go over to deck attendant and tell him I expect him to enforce the rules and I am keeping time. I promise to report him if he doesn't. Always the attendants pull out their clipboards and walk around the chairs and note the time. The problem is the clock starts then, not when it should have. I do this even if I have a chair but it's not the one I really want. I'm ready for confrontation with other passengers and carnival if it comes to that. The hogs have forfeited their right to civility and politeness; Carnival is just spineless when it comes to enforcing its own rules. Just look at the hot tubs near the pools with kids in them unsupervised and people in the MDR in shorts on dressy nights.

While I may like a chair in a certain area, going on a vacation prepared to be confrontational with passengers and staff would take all excitement away for me. :confused:

Archived