July Venetian Dreams Port Excursion and Dining Recommendations

cruiserj12

My partner and I will be taking our first cruise in Europe this summer on the Mariner in July. Although we have been to Europe numerous times, this is our first cruise, so the idea of stopping at one port for one day and being able to see everything is a little overwhelming. We have booked the following excursions in the ports we will be visiting.

Athens: Nothing

Ephesus: Ephesus and Terrace Houses 8:15-11:15

Santorini: Santorini Shopping Experience 8:30-12:00

Olympia: Olympia and Zorba Event 12:30-4:30

Corfu: Nothing, just planning on wandering about

Dubrovnik: Historic Old Dubrovnik on Foot 9:00-2:00

Venice: Leisurely Venice 2:30-6:30

If anyone can let us know if these are decent tours or not, that would be great. We didn't really want to do long tours so we still had time to relax on the boat and explore a bit on our own. We both are still working and in our thirties so this is also a break from the daily grind, as it were, and we still need to recharge. We also are big into food, especially authentic regional foods, so if anyone has suggestions for lunch places in the ports, that would be great. Oh, and we are staying an extra couple days in Venice on our own, so any recommendations there would also be wonderful.

Thanks to everyone in advance. I am really enjoying reading all of the threads here on cruise critic. They have helped me know that we made the right decision with our cruise line choice.

In Santorini, if you just want to go shopping, you are much better off just going on your own. The shops are right there where you get off the funicular. But I really think that would be a waste in Santorini. Much better off to go to Oia (either on your own or on an excursion) or do the Volcano excursion. You are in your thirties, so I assume able bodied. A shopping excursion is just not what you want to pick in a place like Santorini.

Your Olympia and Dubrovnik choices look good to me.

In Corfu, I highly recommend the 4 wheel self-drive excursion. It is loads of fun. My son and I and the 2 ladies who went in our vehicle with us laughed so hard. My son did all the driving as he was just back from a deployment in Afghanistan and accustomed to driving 4 wheel manual transmission. We got to see a lot of the island and had a great time. Plus we made friends with two really nice ladies.

In Venice--I would never, ever pick an excursion anywhere that says leisurely. This is code for "old person" and "slow". Either just do your own thing or pick something with a little more action. We did the Gondola ride (again great fun and made friends with the other people in our gondola) then did our own tour of the Doges Palace and the museum that is in St Marks Square.

cj12, Rachel is so right! Do not do the shopping on Santorini, go to Oia or almost anything else. Santorini is special despite all the tourists and Regent does a great job. If all you want to do is take the funicular and walk around do it by yourselves. You will, however, be cheating yourselves of wonderful memories.

I would also suggest, even though you don't want long tours, that the longer you can spend in Ephesus or the surrounding region the better off you will be. The history and the sights are spectacular.

We were in Venice for a full week last March. I really fell in love with it and I think your three days will just wet your appetitie. We stayed in a great apartment on Giudecca which was perfect. You can read more abut your adventures at fougras.blogspot.com/2011/03/venezia.html.

We were in Venice for a full week last March. I really fell in love with it and I think your three days will just wet your appetitie. We stayed in a great apartment on Giudecca which was perfect. You can read more abut your adventures at fougras.blogspot.com/2011/03/venezia.html.

Can't access your site. Comes back as non existent.

I'd agree with Rachel. In Santorini, go to Oia, but take the ship's excursion if one is offered. In July it will be mobbed, and the excursion may save you from having to wait in the crush of tourists to go up and down on the cable car.

Sorry....forgot the dash. Here you go.

http://fou-gras.blogspot.com/2011/03/venezia.html

We were in Venice during carnivale and there is another entry on the sight with just photos of the costumes. Venice was truly a magical place and my advice is not to be too scheduled.

Thanks. Wonderful pictures! We are staying at the Molino Stuckey on Guidecca this summer. How far is Gatto Nero from there?

Thanks. Wonderful pictures! We are staying at the Molino Stuckey on Guidecca this summer. How far is Gatto Nero from there?

Have stayed here twice. Wonderful hotel. To get there by vaporetto, you will need to take the one from the stop just down from the hotel to st marks square, then chane to the one going to Burano. Not difficult, but the whole trip will probably be bout an hr or more depending on how you hit things. But in Venice, I think it is very important to try and not rush.

I totally agree with all who suggest shopping tour in Santorini would be a waste. Oia, or the ruins being excavated on the island, would by much more interesting.

Venice is great for just wandering or take the Secret Itinerary of Doges Palace. Rick Steves book shows how to make reservation for the special tour so you don't have to stand in line.

Dubrovnik wall is a great walk with scenic vistas.

Whatever you do you're in for a great experience!

Archived