Hotels in San Juan, Puerto Rico

bigdaddyvoges

We have stayed at the Hotel Milano several times and love it. It is only a few blocks from the ship but we still took a taxi with luggage. No hotels have free shuttle. This one is in the heart of Old San Juan and very quaint. We have stayed in other areas but prefer here. There is a Sheraton right next to the port but we've never stayed there.

I've stayed at the courtyard Isla Verde and the Marriott Stellaris down there. Neither is within walking distance to the port but cabs are readily available to take you where you want to go. Isla verde is a quiet, resort area a minute from the airport, and a $15 cab ride to old San Juan. The Stellaris is in Condado beach. There's more within walking distance, it's a trendier area, and was a $10 cab ride to old San Juan.

We have stayed at the Sheraton, Hotel Casablanca and the Howard Johnson at the Plaza De Armas thus far when in OSJ.

All were nice but I think I actually preferred the HoJo ($110 for a balcony room overlooking the plaza) which is about 5 blocks from the pier. A quick taxi would only cost you about $15.

The reason I liked the HoJo better is that it's SUPER eclectic/quirky, clean and located on the same block as a Wendy's, Starbucks, Walgreens AND around the corner from the Coach outlet. :D

If walking is not an issue than it's pretty much in the center of OSJ and nothing is more than a 7 block walk (both forts, the pier, etc)

I would go back to OSJ and happily spend a full week there exploring!

In February we stayed at the Intercontinental, which is about 20 minutes by cab from Old San Juan and the port. We shared a cab with others on the cruise and I think we paid $35 for 8 people (or something close to that) plus $1.00 per bag. It's a very nice resort right on the water. We got it on hotwire. A very nice stay! Nancy

We stayed at the Howard Johnson Plaza de Armas. Loved it. The building is very old, no pool, only rooms that have windows are at the front of the hotel, elevator is so slow, staff is awsome, very clean, walking distance to everything in Old San Juan, very safe, police station next door. The night life in Old San Juan is great.

If you are looking to see OSJ, this is a great hotel. If you are looking for a resort, stay somewhere else.

If it's in your budget (It is pretty pricey), the El Covento in Old Suan Juan looks absolutely amazing. My brother stayed there before a cruise on his honeymoon. It's a four star luxury boutique property that was built in the 1600s that used to be a convent. It has a neat courtyard, historic arches, some rooms with french doors that open up to these great view, etc. right in the heart of Old San Juan. It's on my bucket list as a place to stay at sometime. Here is a link from TripAdvisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g147320-d148043-Reviews-Hotel_El_Convento-San_Juan_Puerto_Rico.html

I normally stay at properties that wouldn't be as expensive as this, but something about stepping back in time and staying here is just calling me to this place. In fact we were considering doing a cruise from Puerto Rico, but might depending on the budget, just stay here for a few days instead and skip the cruise.

I second the Hotel Milano. It's in a great area, clean, affordable. And it's very walkable to the port (we had two rolling suitcases each, plus I had two shoulder carry on bags as well. Might have looked like a pack mule, but they have a closed-off street that goes from almost the hotel right to the port area.

Sheraton is nice but not for the price that they charge. Hotel Verdanza is nice and close to the beach but near the airport. this year we are doing Casablanca.

Did you know about the tubs on the roof? :D

You MUST go up and check out the 360 degree view of OSJ as well as the tubs! We couldn't resist the photo opportunity and went to the drugstore, bought a shower cap and a box of Mr. Bubble (we never actually filled the tub with water) and took the most hilarious pictures!

There is a nightclub across the street that gets VERY loud on the weekends starting around 12am and continues until dawn. I LOVED sitting on the balcony watching the party but my Sis, DH and BIL were less than amused because they couldn't sleep. (vacations are for fun....IMHO...I can sleep when I get home!)

I completely enjoyed this hotel for all it's quirks and charm. I hope you do too.

Enjoy!

We had a tough time finding an affordable hotel for our one night pre-cruise. We finally ended up going the hotwire route and ended up with a Sheraton (not the one across the street from port) for about $100. There are sites that can help with the hotel you are likely going to end up with based on the amenities that are listed. There were other guests going to the ship so we shared a taxi.

The Sheraton OSJ is so awesome to stay at the night before a cruise. It was way too expensive several months out so I booked another property. Then about a month before the cruise the price came down and we paid about $190 including all taxes. It was so worth it to be able to wake up and look out our window at the Victory! We walked across the street to the pier. If the price comes down to something reasonable, I would do it one time if I were you! :) Have fun! That was the best cruise ever!

welschcorgie

Agree with balconies and rooms. They are starting a multi-million reno on the hotel soon.

Thought the pool area and grounds themself were very good, as well as the Beach Bar.

After Reno should be very nice as they are doing the whole hotel area.

Archived