Queen Victoria mini cruise next week

simonpjd

We are joining the Queen Vic for a 3 day mini cruise on 5th May. Will we get a genuine Cunard experience. We have sailed with P&O and FredOlsen but wanted to see what all the fuss was about re Cunard.

Better ??? Worse ???

What will we find and is it a different story on a mini cruise than a longer trip.

Thanks.

We are joining the Queen Vic for a 3 day mini cruise on 5th May. Will we get a genuine Cunard experience. We have sailed with P&O and FredOlsen but wanted to see what all the fuss was about re Cunard.

Better ??? Worse ???

What will we find and is it a different story on a mini cruise than a longer trip.

Thanks.

Hi,

It will give you a chance to enjoy a hint of what I, and many others, love about Cunard.

But for the REAL thing, the true Cunard experience, book a Transatlantic Crossing on liner Queen Mary 2.

I enjoyed QV, thought she was a little dark in places (dark wood everywhere), the theatre is outstanding!

Many say that the short cruises attract an "interesting mix" of passengers... :eek::D:eek:.

Have a great time, let us know what you thought when you return, Bon Voyage :) .

Ive done the transatlantics, the Canaries, New England, Med, Eastern Med, round GB, Norway and about to do the Baltics, and ... yes ... a mini cruise in Jan this year. I can assure you, you will get a flavour of what it's all about, but just that. As to the interesting mix of passengers, well ... yes, I can see where the poster is coming from on that one! Some see it as a booze cruise, but frankly, we didn't encounter any of that. If anything, people made more of an effort, dressing up wise, to cram as much into such a short space of time as possible. There were lots of first timers, but equally there were lots of old timers! What I did find was that it can be a bit of a party cruise ... the nightclub was still going strong when I left at 3 am on a number of evgs, afternoon tea was packed out each day and the theatre tended to be full for shows and lectures.

I agree that a transatlantic on QM2 is the one to get a real flavour of the grand Cunard style, but I also think that you will have an insight into it on this voyage. Just enjoy it, do as much as you can, sample the food and wine and hopefully, come back for more!

Better ??? Worse ???

Thanks.

I don't think you'll see it as a booze cruise. That's more for spring break. I think you'll see more of an eclectic mix of pax, though. These trips are usually fairly cheap & a lot of "newbies" will be checking out the line to see if it suits them. I think you'll have a fun time.

We were on board the Queen Victoria in February for a couple of weeks, we have sail previously with Cunard, but not for a number of years and wanted to see how it compared to our usual choice for cruising, ie Celebrity, P & O and more recently Azamara. Queen Victoria is a beautiful, but we were expecting a lot more, we didn't find the standards any higher than on any of the other ships we have traveled on in recent years, my partner contracted food poising, we had holes in our bedding, and the staff were not always very accommodating. It is a very traditional cruising experience, which we enjoy, but at times we did find the ship a little dull, and there we won't be rushing to book another Cunard cruise. However I believe "grill" is supposedly better.

We will be joining you :D it is my birthday treat and we wanted to get an essence of Cunard as we are regulars of Hal, Celebrity & Princess. We are a youngish couple (40s) but we love dressing up so we thought we would check it out.

We were on board the Queen Victoria in February for a couple of weeks, we have sail previously with Cunard, but not for a number of years and wanted to see how it compared to our usual choice for cruising, ie Celebrity, P & O and more recently Azamara. Queen Victoria is a beautiful, but we were expecting a lot more, we didn't find the standards any higher than on any of the other ships we have traveled on in recent years, my partner contracted food poising, we had holes in our bedding, and the staff were not always very accommodating. It is a very traditional cruising experience, which we enjoy, but at times we did find the ship a little dull, and there we won't be rushing to book another Cunard cruise. However I believe "grill" is supposedly better.

Yes, the Grills are a different world. At those prices they should be. I do agree that food quality & portions have slipped, but not too badly as yet. Service(at least for us)has always been outstanding. I do tell the staff we're in the hospitality industry Catering & food services. I don't know...maybe they go all out to please us for that reason. We do try to tip well if service is good(maybe they keep pics of good tippers LOL!)

We are on this mini cruise too, that is my Daughter Jemma (27) and myself,

I have cruised the other main cruise lines and thought this mini break would let me sample a little of Cunard to see if we like her. I am really looking forward to boarding on Saturday :)

We will be joining you :D it is my birthday treat and we wanted to get an essence of Cunard as we are regulars of Hal, Celebrity & Princess. We are a youngish couple (40s) but we love dressing up so we thought we would check it out.

Don't think there is a formal night on a 3 day cruise. Best check.

Don't think there is a formal night on a 3 day cruise. Best check.

There used to be a "formal" night even on two night cruises (QE2 & QM2, the second night) and on three night cruises (QV, the middle night).

However, recently these seem to have been quietly dropped and replaced with "semi-formal" nights. Which is a pity.

However, even "semi-formal" attire might be considered "dressing up" by some who would not normally wear a suit and tie/cocktail dress to go out to dinner/go to a show/go dancing on land.

(On the last short cruise I went on many wore "formal" on the "semi-formal" night anyway... )

Hi we're coming to :)

Been on lots of cruises before but not tried Cunard.

Rather disappointed no formal night, makes it hard to decide what to wear when you've not cruised with the company before.

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the rate is for tipping and in what currency. Don't want to get on to find I should of bought euros or dollars with me.

Thanks

Hi we're coming to :) Been on lots of cruises before but not tried Cunard. Rather disappointed no formal night, makes it hard to decide what to wear when you've not cruised with the company before. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what the rate is for tipping and in what currency. Don't want to get on to find I should of bought euros or dollars with me. Thanks

Hi,

Tips (or the daily "Hotel and Dining Charge") are automatic and placed on your on board account. I've not checked in a while (certainly not the last two voyages) but I think they are $11 per day per person Britannia Grade, & $13 for Grill passengers.

(I know you're an experienced cruiser, and know the form, but for newbies... should you wish to tip above and beyond that for some extraordinary service [and I have found cause on nearly every voyage] then I've always been prepared by carrying $ in small [1, 5] denominations [i make a point of asking for this at the bank otherwise they tend to give you large value notes if they can. If I do happen to tip a steward in person I always do this as discreetly as possible, notes in the palm of the hand during a "thank you" handshake is my method]).

I have heard that they will not turn down £ or Euros however!

I hope this helps, Bon Voyage!

Six of my friends are coming. You'll find them in the Commodore. Big Rob is a 6 foot 8 honey monster, with a taste for Peroni.

If you see Rob and co, he is very generous when he has saved money in Brittania, will usually get the drinks in if 17 black has come good for him.

Thank you so much everyone for giving such useful answers. If you see a couple of excited looking people on the Waterloo to Southampton train around lunchtime on Saturday come and say hello.

And loads of you also going on this mini cruise to 'try it out'. Fantastic - hope we meet up on board. And we may as we are at first sitting on a table for 8. My lovely lady does like a natter.

Bon voyage to us - the 1st World War battlefield and Honfleur tour await us.

Hoist the Blue Peter lads.

Another question sorry, what is Elegant Casual for men ??? No I thought shirt and trousers, but official guide suggests men where a jacket ?

Do many of the men wear jackets on these occasions ?

Another question sorry, what is Elegant Casual for men ??? No I thought shirt and trousers, but official guide suggests men where a jacket ?

Yes, jackets every evening no matter what the dress code.

Almost every man wears a jacket for elegant casual. You may/will be denied entrance to the dining rooms without (those who don't wear one, eat in the self-serve buffet or in their cabins I presume). You don't need a tie for elegant casual (although many men will wear one anyway).

:)

I don't think any of you need all those tip, Ray66 is as always spot on, if you have sailed P&O you wont go far wrong, I know P&O always have the waiter turn up with the silver service veg, Cunard dont do this unless you ask, so just ask for extra veg and out it comes, she is a great ship, enjoy:)

Ray66 is a foremost expert on the QE & QE for sure a great guy to get tips etc from and for the ports of call

:)

I don't think any of you need all those tip, Ray66 is as always spot on, if you have sailed P&O you wont go far wrong, I know P&O always have the waiter turn up with the silver service veg, Cunard dont do this unless you ask, so just ask for extra veg and out it comes, she is a great ship, enjoy:)

Ray66 is a foremost expert on the QE & QE for sure a great guy to get tips etc from and for the ports of call

I'm sure you'll agree that you can't have too many tips, particularly from experts like Ray and Pepper (who, as you may have noticed, posted similar advice almost simultaneously).

It is possible to go a little wrong if one follows P&O dress codes: on Cunard a jacket is required for elegant casual; its equivalent on P&O, smart casual, requires no jacket, plus on P&O dark denim is deemed acceptable.

Mary:)

I'm sure you'll agree that you can't have too many tips, particularly from experts like Ray and Pepper (who, as you may have noticed, posted similar advice almost simultaneously). It is possible to go a little wrong if one follows P&O dress codes: on Cunard a jacket is required for elegant casual; its equivalent on P&O, smart casual, requires no jacket, plus on P&O dark denim is deemed acceptable. Mary:)

Thank you Mary.

I've learnt something about the dress-code on P&O, which is useful, thanks to you.

On both my voyages on QM2 last year, I didn't notice any guy without a jacket in the evenings.

(On my first Cunard crossing [QM2 six years ago] the first and last night were listed as "casual" which DID mean "no jacket". That changed soon after to "elegant casual, jacket required" :) ).

Very best wishes :).

I'm sure you'll agree that you can't have too many tips, particularly from experts like Ray and Pepper (who, as you may have noticed, posted similar advice almost simultaneously).

It is possible to go a little wrong if one follows P&O dress codes: on Cunard a jacket is required for elegant casual; its equivalent on P&O, smart casual, requires no jacket, plus on P&O dark denim is deemed acceptable.

Mary:)

Your so right, Ray66 and and my self cruise with Cunard 3 or 4 times a year as well as other lines, , but P&O cruisers know the way, both lines are similar,

Archived