General NY Harbor ?s

alwalaska

When we sailed out of New Orleans last year down the Mississippi, someone had written a wonderful list of things that you pass as you are sailing down the river.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists for NYC?

The Statue of Liberty and the bridge are obvious, but for a non-native, I'm sure I will not know what a lot of the rest of it is.

When we sailed out of New Orleans last year down the Mississippi, someone had written a wonderful list of things that you pass as you are sailing down the river.

Does anyone know if anything like this exists for NYC?

If you are leaving from the NY passenger ship terminal (on 12th Avenue, Manhattan) then there is a lot to see as you sail down the Hudson River and into NY Harbor and beyond.

There is so much to see and history that I could not list it all, but here are some highlights.

Since the passenger ship terminal is in mid-town, you will experience:

Port (sailing south)

The skyline of NYC (Chrysler Building, Empire State Building, etc),

The Intrepid Museum,

Lincoln and Holland Tunnel vents (look like odd buildings on either side of the river),

Jacob Javits Convention Center (an I.M.Pei building),

The "Frying Pan" complex (the Frying Pan Lightship and barge turned eclectic free hangout/outdoor bar (bar not free) - a fabulous place which a friend of ours owns,

Battery Park City,

The Freedom Tower,

Staten Island Ferry Terminal,

Governor’s Island

Brooklyn

Fort Hamilton (1812) This location was used as a strategic site aas early as the Revolutionary War.

Starboard

Palisades of NJ - played an strategic roll in the American Revolution,

Hoboken - Frank Sinatra, Cake Boss - Buddy Valastro/Carlo's Bakery,

Hoboken - Lackawanna Old Train/Ferry Terminal used by Carlo's Bakery as their new production bakery,

Hoboken - Old Bethlem Steel Ship Yard,

Jersey City - Colgate Clock,

Jersey City Skyline,

Statue of Liberty,

Ellis Island,

Liberty State Park,

Staten Island,

Staten Island Ferry Terminal,

Fort Wadsworth (similar history to that of Fort Hamilton)

Verrazano Narrows Bridge

In the Atlantic:

Coney Island on port

Ambrose Light Tower

Sandy Hook, NJ

Twin Lights (light house in Sandy Hook)

Here's my list from having done the NYC sailaway 8 times:

Manhattan side:

Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum (Intrepid is docked at Pier 86, right next to the cruise port).

Empire State Building, 34th Street (about 20 blocks south of the cruise port).

Chelsea Piers, a sports complex built on some of the old passenger liner piers, around 23rd Street.

World Financial Center and the Freedom Tower (actually, they stopped using that name - it's just One World Trade Center now).

The Battery, with Castle Clinton.

If you then look up the other side of Manhattan, you'll see the Staten Island Ferry terminal and the East River bridges, including the Brooklyn Bridge.

Governor's Island.

The parachute jump at Coney Island.

New Jersey side:

Erie Lackawanna Railroad ferry terminal, Hoboken (now an intermodal commuter station).

Goldman Sachs Tower, Jersey City, the tallest building in New Jersey.

The Colgate Clock, Jersey City (this used to be Colgate Palmolive's headquarters); the clock was moved from the site of the Goldman Sachs Tower.

Jersey Central Railroad ferry terminal and Liberty State Park (you can get tickets and the ferry for the Statue of Liberty and Elllis Island here).

Ellis Island.

The Statue of Liberty.

Bayonne Bridge (a really beautiful arch bridge).

Robbins Reef Light.

You then approach the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Go up to the highest deck possible to sail under the bridge - it's an experience.:cool:

I've shot several short videos along the New Jersey side of the Hudson in the past couple of weeks. (Not at all professional quality, I hasten to add.) Feel free to take a look at these--lots of images of the Manhattan skyline and particular landmarks in Jersey City, as well as distant views of the Upper Bay down to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge:

I'll be uploading more in the coming weeks.

Enjoy.

I've shot several short videos along the New Jersey side of the Hudson in the past couple of weeks. (Not at all professional quality, I hasten to add.) Feel free to take a look at these--lots of images of the Manhattan skyline and particular landmarks in Jersey City, as well as distant views of the Upper Bay down to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.
Post Captain, enjoyed your videos. The 9/11 memorial is very moving.

I love the transit down the Hudson and out to sea - never grow tired of it, there's always something different to see. Just like taking the train along the Hudson between NYC and Albany - I've been doing that trip for 25 years and never tire of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I took everyone's wonderful info and tried to put it in order by side of the river and add pictures as well.

Can someone local check it for errors or omissions please? It is located here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=66a8f1d80b25f3aa&resid=66A8F1D80B25F3AA!533&parid=66A8F1D80B25F3AA!186&authkey=!ABaKdgdzWxOVOfs

You can make edits directly in the file if you would like. This link has editing privileges.

If you are sailing NCL which usually leaves 4p and depending on the day you can see Princess or Cunard Ship at the Brooklyn Pier (they usually sail 5p) and/or an RCL Ship at Bayonne NJ or even Carnival/Holland or whatever next to you in Manhattan.

Of course the Intrepid:

pier.jpg

Carnival:

pier88.jpg

Bayonne

bayone.jpg

Staten Island Ferry

sif.jpg

Verrazano Bridge:

vzncl.jpg

Coney Island (Red Tower is Parachute Jump) GO CYCLONES!! (Mets AAA Short Season)

ci.jpg

Never Gets Old!!

I took everyone's wonderful info and tried to put it in order by side of the river and add pictures as well.

Can someone local check it for errors or omissions please? It is located here https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=66a8f1d80b25f3aa&resid=66A8F1D80B25F3AA!533&parid=66A8F1D80B25F3AA!186&authkey=!ABaKdgdzWxOVOfs

You can make edits directly in the file if you would like. This link has editing privileges.

Nice job! While I could edit the document, I would rather not mess the whole thing up, so I will let you make any changes.

The Javits Center will come before Chelsea Piers (sailing south). The Frying Pan will be just north of Chelsea Piers.

Interesting Fact: Battery Park City just west of the new Freedom Tower, was created from the material removed during the excavation and building of the World Trade Center. They built bulkheads to hold the Hudson back and created new land.

Battery Park and Battery Park City are different. Battery Park is the very tip of Manhattan and Battery Park City is just north of Battery Park.

Interesting Fact: Governor’s Island was originally known as Nut or Nutten (Dutch) Island and has been used by the military since the Revolutionary War. During the Civil War it was used as a prison for Confederate soldiers. Most recently, it was a Coast Guard residential base.

The other thing I forgot to mention… If looking north from the passenger ship terminal you will see the George Washington Bridge.

Thanks all! I will update the file and re-post it to help others when I get back from my cruise. We took the NY Water taxi today, so I got to check out some of the items already. :) Tomorrow will be on the NCL Star.

We will be sailing out of Brooklyn......what will we get to see? Just open water??? :o thanks!

You'll see lower Manhattan as you steam into the Hudson River. Shortly thereafter you will pass the Statue of Liberty and twenty minutes or so after you leave port your ship will sail underneath the Verrazano Bridge.

On your port side you will pass Coney Island so keep your eyes peeled.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Thank you, Jonathan, for the information. I appreciate it!

Our cruise doesn't depart until 9 p.m. so we'll have to enjoy the "lights" more than the sights, I guess. But, it's all good.

Thanks again.:)

We will be sailing out of Brooklyn......what will we get to see? Just open water??? :o thanks!

You are in Buttermilk Channel that is between Brooklyn (Long Island) and Governers Island, while docked you can see the Statue of Liberity and clear day you should see the Freedom Tower at the tip of Manhattan Island.

And as posted the ship pulls into the upper harbor and then right into the narrows between Brooklyn (Long Island) and Staten Island. There will be forts at the both ends of the Verrazanno Bridge. Fort Hamiliton on the Brooklyn side is still an active duty Army post. When Navy ships come into NY Harbor they still exchange honors (Fire Guns). On the Staten Island side is Fort Wadsworth now a National Park and the starting place for the NYC Marathon.

Looking on the Brooklyn side you can see the Coney Island and just make out the historic Parachutte Jump.

On NJ side you get to the Atlantic Highlands/Sandy Hook, thats about what I remember. Will be leaving from Brooklyn end of October.

• 3 months later...
Thanks all! I will update the file and re-post it to help others when I get back from my cruise. We took the NY Water taxi today, so I got to check out some of the items already. :) Tomorrow will be on the NCL Star.

Hope you had a great cruise! Was the sailaway as great as you hoped? Anything not on your list that we should look for when we sail down the Hudson next month?

Hope you had a great cruise! Was the sailaway as great as you hoped? Anything not on your list that we should look for when we sail down the Hudson next month?

Thanks. We had a wonderful cruise. I updated the file from above with the suggestions someone made above as well as the addition of an area called DUMBO.

You can see all of my pictures from our Water Taxi tour the day before the cruise here on Flickr and our sail-away pictures here. We are missing any telephoto type shots we would normally have since my husband's camera did not have a memory card we we didn't know it until we were sailing down the river on the cruise.

If you are leaving from Bayonne, our Explorer pictures are here.

Have a great trip.

Archived