Shame on Holland!!!! Never again!

I think Lisa or Candy here to help try and figure out what the OP is saying and to help him/her out.

I, like many others, think the TA is at fault in, at the very least, explaining what is happening to the OP and possibly to us.

Can someone do the math for me here please?? (I'm lousy at math:o)

In Sept 2011 we paid per person in our stateroom for our cruise to Alaska:

Cruise Fare: $2199.00

Taxes: $110.40

Port Fees: $235.00

What is the percentage of Taxes and Port Fess (Which HAL has no control of, btw) that we paid per person?

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

I hope you are doing fine and all is well in your world today.

Question, did you book your cruise directly through Holland America or a travel agency?

If you could advise us if you fare quote was from Holland America or a travel agency, it would be helpful to finally clarify what the OP meant when referencing double "port charges" for single passengers.

Thank you,

soccer

Dear all,

As many of you may remember, Carnival Cruise Lines ( Holland America ) and other cruise lines agreed in 1997 to include "port charges" in the quoted cruise fare based on a Florida Attorney General's lawsuit againt the cruise industry regarding "port charges".

Carnival Cruise Lines ( Holland America ) specifically agreed to quote the cruise fare including port charges and only add specific taxes and fees charges by government entities that are passed on directly to the government entities. This is similiar to how airlines are required to quote fares, the base fare, plus actual taxes and fees passed onto those government entities.

Holland America as a policy only adds taxes and fees to the quoted fare that are passed on directly to the government entities that are charging them. In the case of most Alaska cruises it is about the $110.40 in taxes and fees that are paid directly to government entities, as shown in Joanie's example.

Some travel agencies break out the "Port Charges" ( in Joanie's case $235.00 ) from the quoted fare as they are a non commissionable to the travel agency. This is usually for accounting reasons only as the "total price" is the same that is quoted by Holland America. Travel agencies are able to quote fares this way ( but not advertise them this way to the general public, as this would be considered misleading ) as they did not agree to the same settlement that the cruise lines agreed to in 1997.

So in essence since a solo traveler pays twice the per person based on double occupancy rate on Holland America, they are paying double "port charges", but not double taxes and fees that are passed onto the government entities. Keep in mind that all cruise quotes that Holland America provides include "port charges", only taxes and fees that are remitted directly to government entities are shown separately in the fare quote.

My recent example traveling solo was a cruise advertised by Holland America at $449.00 per person, based on double occupancy plus $103.20 in taxes / fees per person. I booked a solo cabin and was quoted $998.00 plus the $103.20 in taxes / fees. My total including taxes and fees was $1,001.20. At no time did Holland America quote the fare as twice $449.00 for me, just $998.00. Since the $449.00 on a per person, double occupancy fare quote includes the "port charges", I in effect paid double the "port charges" since I paid $998.00 plus $103.20 in taxes / fees for my solo cabin.

Some cruise lines, do offer solos a slight reduction in the 200 percent single supplement to reflect the fact that actually only one set of "port charges" apply for a solo passenger. Holland America is not one of these cruise lines, they just calculate the 200 single supplement on the quoted per person double occupancy fare.

On my same cruise, I met a couple that won a "free" 7 day cruise on Holland America playing bingo on a previous HAL cruise. The husband said they had to pay about $250.00 per person in "port charges", taxes and fees. The husband said he could not understand why they had to pay $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees when the HAL web site showed that the taxes and fees were $103.20 per person. I explained to him that I believed they were charging him the "port charges" of approximately $147.00 because they could as it was not the "free cruise" was not copnsidered an "advertised" or "quoted" fare by Holland America. Of course, he dd not like that answer, but in reality since HAL stated the "free cruise" did not include "port charges", taxes and fees they could collect the port charges as well as the taxes and fees. In the end, the couple paid the $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees for the "free cruise", but felt somewhat mislead by Holland America when winning the free cruise.

I hope this clarifies the current situation regarding "port charges" and all is clear.

Also, I have heard of cruise lines contacting passengers that have cross referenced bookings one larger or upgraded cabin for two individual cabins and a refund of one of the cruise fares paid. I think the travel agency did not understand the offer or did not communicate it clearly to the OP and that is why there is a problem. If the OP understood the offer, they probably would have not accepted it in the first place.

If the OP belived Holland America truly offered a full refund for both cabins and a 25 percent discount on a future cruise as long as the two singles shared the balcony cabin, then I can see why he or she is upset about the outcome.

In the end if the two solo travelers wanted to share a balcony cabin, they would have booked it. Holland America agreeing to refund one of the cabins and give a 25 discount on a future cruise would have not been enough for me to agree to sharing a cabin, even it was a balcony. If that is the case, Holland America is not really giving the OP that much, except an upgrade from an outside cabin and a 25 percent discount on a future cruise. I definitely would have turned down this offer.

soccer

Hi Joanie,

I hope you are doing fine and all is well in your world today.

Question, did you book your cruise directly through Holland America or a travel agency?

If you could advise us if you fare quote was from Holland America or a travel agency, it would be helpful to finally clarify what the OP meant when referencing double "port charges" for single passengers.

Thank you,

soccer

Dear all,

As many of you may remember, Carnival Cruise Lines ( Holland America ) and other cruise lines agreed in 1997 to include "port charges" in the quoted cruise fare based on a Florida Attorney General's lawsuit againt the cruise industry regarding "port charges".

Carnival Cruise Lines ( Holland America ) specifically agreed to quote the cruise fare including port charges and only add specific taxes and fees charges by government entities that are passed on directly to the government entities. This is similiar to how airlines are required to quote fares, the base fare, plus actual taxes and fees passed onto those government entities.

Holland America as a policy only adds taxes and fees to the quoted fare that are passed on directly to the government entities that are charging them. In the case of most Alaska cruises it is about the $110.40 in taxes and fees that are paid directly to given entities, as shown in Joanie's example.

Some travel agencies break out the "Port Charges" ( in Joanie's case $235.00 ) from the quoted fare as they are a non commissionable to the travel agency. This is usually for accounting reasons only as the "total price" is the same that is quoted by Holland America. Travel agencies are able to quote fares this way ( but not advertise them this way to the general public, as this would be considered misleading ) as they did not agree to the same settlement that the cruise lines agreed to in 1997.

So in essence since a solo traveler pays twice the per person based on double occupancy rate on Holland America, they are paying double "port charges", but not double taxes and fees that are passed onto the government entities. Keep in mind that all cruise quotes that Holland America provides include "port charges", only taxes and fees that are remitted directly to government entities are shown separately in the fare quote.

My recent example traveling solo was a cruise advertised by Holland America at $449.00 per person plus $103.20 in taxes / fees per person. I booked a solo cabin and was quoted $998.00 plus the $103.20 in taxes / fees. My total including taxes and fees was $1,001.20. At no time did Holland America quote the fare as twice $449.00 for me, just $998.00. Since the $449.00 on a per person, double occupancy fare quote includes the "port charges", I in effect paid double the "port charges" since I paid $998.00 plus $103.20 in taxes / fees for my solo cabin.

Some cruise lines, do offer solos a slight reduction in the 200 percent single supplement to reflect the fact that actually only one set of "port charges" apply for a solo passenger. Holland America is not one of these cruise lines, they just calculate the 200 single supplement on the quoted per person double occupancy fare.

On my same cruise, I met a couple that won a "free" 7 day cruise on Holland America playing bingo on a previous HAL cruise. The husband said they had to pay about $250.00 per person in "port charges", taxes and fees. The husband said he could not understand why they had to pay $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees when the HAL web site showed that the taxes and fees were $103.20 per person. I explained to him that I believed they were charging him the "port charges" of approximately $147.00 because they could as it was not the "free cruise" was not copnsidered an "advertised" or "quoted" fare by Holland America. Of course, he dd not like that answer, but in reality since HAL stated the "free cruise" did not include "port charges", taxes and fees they could collect the port charges as well as the taxes and fees. In the end, the couple paid the $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees for the "free cruise", but felt somewhat mislead by Holland America when winning the free cruise.

I hope this clarifies the current situation regarding "port charges" and all is clear.

Also, I have heard of cruise lines contacting passengers that have cross referenced bookings one larger or upgraded cabin for two individual cabins and a refund of one of the cruise fares paid. I think the travel agency did not understand the offer or did not communicate it clearly to the OP and that is why there is a problem. If the OP understood the offer, they probably would have not accepted it in the first place.

If the OP belived Holland America truly offered a full refund for both cabins and a 25 percent discount on a future cruise as long as the two singles shared the balcony cabin, then I can see why he or she is upset about the outcome.

In the end if the two solo travelers wanted to share a balcony cabin, they would have booked it. Holland America agreeing to refund one of the cabins and give a 25 discount on a future cruise would have not been enough for me to agree to sharing a cabin, even it was a balcony. If that is the case, Holland America is not really giving the OP that much, except an upgrade from an outside cabin and a 25 percent discount on a future cruise. I definitely would have turned down this offer.

soccer

Soccer, the price I originally mentioned were copied directly off our final payment Guest Confirmation Guest Copy for what we paid, Cruise/Tour Fare, Taxes/Fees and Non-Comm Fare (this was the $235.00 for each of us) I assume the $235.00 is port fees, but could be wrong....

I book only with HAL directly.

Joanie

Soccer, the price I originally mentioned were copied directly off our final payment Guest Confirmation Guest Copy for what we paid, Cruise/Tour Fare, Taxes/Fees and Non-Comm Fare (this was the $235.00 for each of us) I assume the $235.00 is port fees, but could be wrong....

I book only with HAL directly.

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I always love reading your posts....maybe we can meet on your aft balcony one day....hehe

Could the $235.00 be for something else? ...i.e insurance, transfers, pre paid tips, or something like that?

Thanks,

soccer

Book directly with HAL.....accept no imitations :D

I have a very reputable TA who saved me in excess of $1000 on our next cruise compared to HAL's PCC price for the same cabin. We also got shipboard credit, and a Pinnacle dinner.

I agree the OP needs to reconsider his TA, but mine has gone to bat for me many times. Your suggestion is indeed one option, but I do think there are many good reasons to have a TA outside the cruise line on your side.

Hi Joanie,

Thanks for the speedy reply! I always love reading your posts....maybe we can meet on your aft balcony one day....hehe

Could the $235.00 be for something else? ...i.e insurance, transfers, pre paid tips, or something like that?

Thanks,

soccer

Soccer the "Non-Comm Fare" of $235.00 per person is listed only as Non-Comm Fare. I know it is not our Hotel Service Charge as we paid that with another credit card months before and each of ours was well over $600.00 each, we had no transfers and excursions were booked online and paid for months in advance, and none of them were anywhere near the $235.00. I've no idea what it is........

I'd love to have you laze back and enjoy our verandah with us any time you wish:) Then you'd understand even more why I love it so much:)

OK, time to go fix dinner.

Joanie

updated for clarification purposes

Dear all,

Holland America as a policy only adds taxes and fees to the quoted fare that are passed on directly to the government entities that are charging them. In the case of most Alaska cruises it is about the $110.40 in taxes and fees that are paid directly to government entities, as shown in Joanie's example.

My recent example traveling solo was a cruise advertised by Holland America at $449.00 per person, based on double occupancy plus $103.20 in taxes / fees per person. I booked a solo cabin and was quoted $998.00 plus the $103.20 in taxes / fees. My total including taxes and fees was $1,001.20. At no time did Holland America quote the fare as twice $449.00 for me, just $998.00. Since the $449.00 on a per person, double occupancy fare quote includes the "port charges", I in effect paid double the "port charges" since I paid $998.00 plus $103.20 in taxes / fees for my solo cabin.

Some cruise lines, do offer solos a slight reduction in the 200 percent single supplement to reflect the fact that actually only one set of "port charges" apply for a solo passenger. Holland America is not one of these cruise lines, they just calculate the 200 percent single supplement on the quoted per person double occupancy fare.

On my same cruise, I met a couple that won a "free" 7 day cruise on Holland America playing bingo on a previous HAL cruise. The husband said they had to pay about $250.00 per person in "port charges", taxes and fees. The husband said he could not understand why they had to pay $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees when the HAL web site showed that the taxes and fees were $103.20 per person. I explained to him that I believed they were charging him the "port charges" of approximately $147.00 because they could since the "free cruise" was not considered an "advertised" or "quoted" fare by Holland America. Of course, he did not like that answer, but in reality since HAL stated the "free cruise" did not include "port charges", taxes and fees in the terms and conditions, HAL could collect the port charges as well as the taxes and fees. In the end, the couple paid the $250.00 in "port charges", taxes and fees for the "free cruise", but felt somewhat mislead by Holland America when winning the "free" cruise.

soccer

We're cruising for the first time with HAL this Sunday...I just took a look at our invoice and "port charges" are not listed, just "cruise fare" and "taxes and fees".

So as Soccer mentioned, port charges must be included in the "cruise fare" figure.

So the OP's mention that his port charges/taxes and fees were 55% of the total fee paid is possible.

I have no idea what HAL is charging us for port charges for this cruise. That's a little odd.

I bet a lot of us assumed that the "fees" reference was in fact the port charges. I wonder what "fees" are and who gets them. lol

I save all of my travel paperwork and have cruised with 4 other lines...all other invoices list separate...cruise fare, taxes/fees and port charges.

Deb, your taxes, port, charges, fees, etc., are tallied together on your cruise docs. You won't be charged more than that. On board, you'll just have the daily service charge for the crew.

We're cruising for the first time with HAL this Sunday...I just took a look at our invoice and "port charges" are not listed, just "cruise fare" and "taxes and fees".

So as Soccer mentioned, port charges must be included in the "cruise fare" figure.

So the OP's mention that his port charges/taxes and fees were 55% of the total fee paid is possible.

I have no idea what HAL is charging us for port charges for this cruise. That's a little odd.

I bet a lot of us assumed that the "fees" reference was in fact the port charges. I wonder what "fees" are and who gets them. lol

I save all of my travel paperwork and have cruised with 4 other lines...all other invoices list separate...cruise fare, taxes/fees and port charges.

The invoice my TA uses lists everything separately.

We paid about $450 in taxes and fees for our Alaska cruise. So if that's 55% of what the OP said he paid, the remaining 45% would be around $400. That's a great price for a cruise fare. Even if it's doubled because of the single supplement, it's still a darn good price.

Deb, your taxes, port, charges, fees, etc., are tallied together on your cruise docs. You won't be charged more than that. On board, you'll just have the daily service charge for the crew.

Oh no I didn't think I was going to be charged extra on board for them.

It's just weird that they don't list the "port charges" as a separate amount on their invoice.

As Soccer said, HAL includes the port charges in with the cruise fare number, not as a separate charge on the invoice.

I book directly with HAL, I don't use a TA so my invoice is from them.

The invoice my TA uses lists everything separately.

We paid about $450 in taxes and fees for our Alaska cruise. So if that's 55% of what the OP said he paid, the remaining 45% would be around $400. That's a great price for a cruise fare. Even if it's doubled because of the single supplement, it's still a darn good price.

We paid $549 per person for our "cruise fare" (outside cabin) which includes port charges. So yeah, that's also a really good deal.

I would think the port charges are at least $150 for Bermuda.

Oh no I didn't think I was going to be charged extra on board for them.

It's just weird that they don't list the "port charges" as a separate amount on their invoice.

As Soccer said, HAL includes the port charges in with the cruise fare number, not as a separate charge on the invoice.

I book directly with HAL, I don't use a TA so my invoice is from them.

For some previous cruises, I booked directly with HAL...now use a travel agent. Same deal...port charges included. No big deal...it's just the way it is.

We paid $549 per person for our "cruise fare" (outside cabin) which includes port charges. So yeah, that's also a really good deal.

That is a good deal. I paid $100 more pp for an inside!

Ah.... Now see, this I did not know....... Can anyone give me their best questimation of what my SC suite at the price I quoted in my original question would be if I were to book it as a solo??

I'm serious. Hubby wants to fly to other parts of the world to cruise and I want to cruise to go to the same places. Hope that makes sense. In other words, I will cruise by myself to meet up with him to go on his cruise and then return the same way.

Joanie

I cruise solo all the time and can guarantee you that the price you'll pay for your cabin will be double. You'll only pay taxes, port charges and service charges (aka gratuities) for one person, but the cabin price will be the same as it would be for two people in the cabin. That's why you see so many people complaining about the single supplement. I don't complain because I understand that it is what it is and I just accept it and fork over the $$.

That is a good deal. I paid $100 more pp for an inside!

My rate was for a guarantee though which is probably why it was less expensive. Guarantee H but received an E.

We booked in January, when did you book?

I cruise solo all the time and can guarantee you that the price you'll pay for your cabin will be double. You'll only pay taxes, port charges and service charges (aka gratuities) for one person, but the cabin price will be the same as it would be for two people in the cabin. That's why you see so many people complaining about the single supplement. I don't complain because I understand that it is what it is and I just accept it and fork over the $$.

Believe me, it makes sense to me that they would charge a solo double the fee. Since the cost of the cruise/stateroom is based on double occupancy... So if I want to cruise sans hubby, then I am willing and can completely underrstand paying the same, even as a solo:)

Of course, this will not be happening in the very near future, but it should be starting in the next 18 months or so, if not sooner if we relocate as hubby is now thinking of doing....Hey I might be able to take advantage of some flash sales after all in the near future:)

Joanie

Now I am confused: what is the difference between port charges, taxes and fees?

My thinking is that port charges are what a port taxes/charges per person visiting, not per bed on the ship (who would pay for empty cabins?!). And that those sailing solo would be paying it once only.

What other taxes could be involved? And what fees (not the HSC which is billed to your shipboard account)?

On my test booking for Alaska they had the cruise fare and then something like $104 for taxes and fees. What was that other that what the ports charge/tax per passenger?

What cruise on HAL was $549 per person? Was this less than 7 nights?

What cruise on HAL was $549 per person? Was this less than 7 nights?

No it's 7 nights NYC to Bermuda. We booked in January, but last time I looked they still had some pretty inexpensive GTY's available for future cruises. (mostly inside, but a few outside)

@Boytjie...I too am wondering what the port charges actually pays for as well.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that when my sister was a TA and we booked with her, the only discount she could offer us was on the price of the "fees" that we paid.

So I always assumed that part of that amount was her commission.

I just assumed "port charges" was the amount that the port charged the cruiseline for docking there.

Now I am confused: what is the difference between port charges, taxes and fees?

My thinking is that port charges are what a port taxes/charges per person visiting, not per bed on the ship (who would pay for empty cabins?!). And that those sailing solo would be paying it once only.

What other taxes could be involved? And what fees (not the HSC which is billed to your shipboard account)?

On my test booking for Alaska they had the cruise fare and then something like $104 for taxes and fees. What was that other that what the ports charge/tax per passenger?

Port charges are fees paid by the cruise line to the local port authorities for docking, pier rent, utilities, waste disposal, security, etc. These "port charges" are billed from the port authorites to the cruise line. Think of "port charges" being charged to the ship and not too each individual passenger. Port charges are a cost of business or expense for the cruise lines just like the other expenses they incur in order to operate a cruise line.

Here is a link explaining "port charges" and settlement agreed to by Carnival Cruise Lines ( Holland America ).

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/546208/CRUISE-LINES-SETTLE-PORT-CHARGE-DISPUTE.html

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/aug/17/travel/tr-23177

There are other articles on-line that discuss the port charges agreement as weel, you can google "port charges" to find out more.

The taxes and fees that are listed in addition to the cruise fare are charges made by the local port authorities and governments to the passenger. The cruise line, in this case, Holland America collects these taxes and fees from the passenger at the time of ticketing and they are remitted directly to the local port and government authorities. This is very similiar to how airlines collect taxes and fees when tickets are issued. The taxes and fees that you pay are in addition your cruise fare and are your responsibility. The taxes and fees include custom inspection fees, immmigration fees, agricultural inspection fees and the like. They are charged by the ports / governments to the passengers and that is why they are listed as taxes / fees on the invoice in addition to the cruise fare.

The concept is very similiar to airline taxes and fees. The airlines collect taxes and fees at the time of ticketing that will be passed onto local taxing and government authorities. You will note these taxes and fees are quoted in addition to the base fare that the airline charges.

Equivalent airline "port charges" are landing fees, counter and terminal rental fees, joint airline baggage handling system fees. These are all included in the price of the airline ticket...i.e. each passenger does not pay a landing fee, the airline pays the landing fee to the local airport as it is charged by the local airport to the airline and not the passenger.

So in essence, solo passengers paying a 200 percent single supplement of the per person, based on double occupancy fare are paying twice the port charges. Since port charges are included in the per person, based on double occupancy fare, the solo passenger is in effect paying double "port charges". The solo passenger however only pays one set of taxes / fees as these are charged by the local port and government authorities based on a per passsenger basis.

In the end, the OP's problem seemed to come about because of a misunderstanding that mutiplied. The travel agency may have listed the port charges separate to determine the commission and now have confused the issues, by stating only the "cruise fare" would be refunded. It sounds at the very least, the OP should recieve a refund of one full cruise fare paid, but would still be responsible to pay the $104.00 in taxes / fees that are paid directly by the cruise line to the local ports and government authroities on the passenger's behalf.

The travel agent seemed to really have dropped the ball on this whole situation. Offering one cabin for two cabins with some compensation is a very tricky situation and should have been fully explained to the OP so that the OP could make a fully informed decision before any changes were made. I, personally do not think it was too unreasonable for the OP to expect a full refund of both cabins, and then get the "shared" balcony cabin for free. OP would need to pay the taxes / fees of $104.00 per passenger however. Otherwise, what HAL offered was just not worth giving up two cabins for one. Remember, HAL needed the OP's cabin, it was not the OP that suggested sharing a cabin, so the offer should have been generous and clearly explained by HAL and the travel agent involved.

soccer

Thanks for taken the time to explain that to us Soccer, it was very helpful.

I agree with you 100% that the OP has every right to be upset with the outcome.

I only hope he and his mom can enjoy their cruise and that HAL will do something for them while they're onboard to fix this.

Thanks for the explanation, soccerpapi. :) It is a little less confusing now.

Airport landing fees seem to be factored into the airline's pricing - even frequent flier ticketing since I would pay just $5 for a jetBlue FF ticket.

In the case of port charges it almost seems like "same pants, different pockets" - no matter what it is called it is what the cruise costs a passenger per person, whether it is fair or not is a different matter. The way I understand it is that port charges affect TA commissions.

Airport landing fees seem to be factored into the airline's pricing - even frequent flier ticketing since I would pay just $5 for a jetBlue FF ticket.

In the case of port charges it almost seems like "same pants, different pockets" - no matter what it is called it is what the cruise costs a passenger per person, whether it is fair or not is a different matter. The way I understand it is that port charges affect TA commissions.

Thanks for the response.

However, you are incorrect about the charge from JetBlue on your award ticket. The September 11th security fee of $2.50 per flight is charged by the US Government for all passengers. The charge is made by the government to you as the passenger and not JetBlue. JetBlue collects this September 11th security fee as a "tax" on all tickets and remits it to the government. So the $5.00 you paid JetBlue for a round trip flight goes directly to the government and not JetBlue, similiar to the taxes / fees charges in addition to your cruise fare charged by Holland America.

Landing fees are applied by the local airport to the airline based on the weight of the aircraft, time of day and other variables and are included in the price of all airline tickets. This includes "free tickets" as it is a cost of doing business for airline. It is not a tax or fee charged by the airport to the passenger, it is a fee charged by the airport to the airline.

In actuality "port charges" are not always charged by the ports or government agencies on a per passenger basis to the cruise lines. Many times "port charges" are charged by the gross tonnage of the ship, how long the ship is in port, how much waste is collected, etc. It is a shame that some are confusing these "port" expenses as taxes that need to be paid by the passenger. These charges are the responsibility of the cruise line.

As stated. taxes and fees charged by local ports and governments to the passenger listed in addition to the cruise fare and are charged on a per person basis. In reality these are the only taxes and fees that should be included as part of the taxes / fees that are charged in addition to the cruise fare. In fact, this is exactly how Holland America collects these taxes / fees and only these taxes / fees are listed separately from the cruise fare.

If anyone is intersted, just google "port charges" and you will find some interesting reading of why these "port charges" are now included in the quoted cruise fares by Holland America and other cruise lines.

soccer

However, you are incorrect about the charge from JetBlue on your award ticket. The September 11th security fee of $2.50 per flight is charged by the US Government for all passengers. The charge is made by the government to you as the passenger and not JetBlue. JetBlue collects this September 11th security fee as a "tax" on all tickets and remits it to the government. So the $5.00 you paid JetBlue for a round trip flight goes directly to the government and not JetBlue, similiar to the taxes / fees charges in addition to your cruise fare charged by Holland America.

My apologies if I stated it somewhat unclear - as I mentioned I paid $5 to jetBlue for a RT ticket and I am aware that it is a 9/11 fee passed on to the government and not going to jetBlue. :)

Landing fees are applied by the local airport to the airline based on the weight of the aircraft, time of day and other variables and are included in the price of all airline tickets. This includes "free tickets" as it is a cost of doing business for airline. It is not a tax or fee charged by the airport to the passenger, it is a fee charged by the airport to the airline.

That is how I understand it too.

In actuality "port charges" are not always charged by the ports or government agencies on a per passenger basis to the cruise lines. Many times "port charges" are charged by the gross tonnage of the ship, how long the ship is in port, how much waste is collected, etc. It is a shame that some are confusing these "port" expenses as taxes that need to be paid by the passenger. These charges are the responsibility of the cruise line.

That's why I got confused by the various posts regarding port charges. I understood the taxes and fees for what it is. I don;t recall ever seeing a breakdown for port charges - then again, most of my cruises have been charters and also in the Carnival Corp group except for 1 NCL.

Thanks again for shedding some light!

Or as they say in Asia "same same but different" :D

Archived