Shame on Holland!!!! Never again!

What I don't understand is how HAL can have 2 bookings for 2 separate cabins and then at the last minute say this 2 people must share a cabin! You mean if I book a cabin and Joe Doe books a cabin HAL can call me the day before my cruise and tell me I'm now sharing a cabin with Joe Doe or I'm not going on the cruise.

OP and Mother had each paid in full for their own cabins. Now HAL has cancelled one of their cabins and they are to room together. That they are related is beside the point. To me this is issue #1. Any ideas how this is possible??

What I don't understand is how HAL can have 2 bookings for 2 separate cabins and then at the last minute say this 2 people must share a cabin! You mean if I book a cabin and Joe Doe books a cabin HAL can call me the day before my cruise and tell me I'm now sharing a cabin with Joe Doe or I'm not going on the cruise.

OP and Mother had each paid in full for their own cabins. Now HAL has cancelled one of their cabins and they are to room together. That they are related is beside the point. To me this is issue #1. Any ideas how this is possible??

When my friend and I got the offer to share :rolleyes: it was known that we were travelling together because our booking #s were linked.

I still think the TA has misinterpreted, misrepresented, or failed to communicate adequately.

I want to know too. I would be livid, and the day before the cruise.

OP, force your TA to put you on a conferance call with HAL. It's the only way to find out if your TA messed up and exactly what options you have.

When my friend and I got the offer to share :rolleyes: it was known that we were travelling together because our booking #s were linked.

I still think the TA has misinterpreted, misrepresented, or failed to communicate adequately.

I agree with you about the TA, CP.

I understand how HAL would know OP and Mom were traveling together and of course I was exaggerating my sharing a room with an unknown Joe Doe. But in principle it is the same- HAL should not be able to force people to combine their 2 separate and paid for bookings into one booking, one cabin. Something isn't right here.

To me it really seems like the TA screwed up here and is just trying to blame it on the cruise line. I'm not a HAL cheerleader by any stretch as all companies are flawed -however HAL is NOT going to take 2 reservations (which are contracts between you and them) and say you HAVE to combine to be 1 cabin. This just doesn't add up. HAL contracted with you to give you 2 cabins and now something has gone and changed that. Who has the ability to contact HAL and change that? Your TA.

I really really think you need to look at your TA and see if he/she might be the guilty party here.

Either way, I understand it's very frustrating and a bad way to start what's supposed to be a relaxing vacation. Hopefully they will be able to get this sorted out before you board.

I am sorry that you cruise plans are all up in the air right now, but I think your travel agent needs to do a better job.

I just went through the HAL online booking process to test what is charged. I did it first for 1 person and then for 2 in a cabin, for both an inside an a balcony cabin:

• For 1 person in a cabin, HAL charges the double the cruise fare + $106 in govt fees and taxes.
  • For 2 person in a cabin, HAL charges the double the cruise fare + $212 in govt fees and taxes.

Nothing funny going on there.

This is exactly what I was going to do. I always go and run number for complaints like this so you just saved me some time Peter :p Thank you. :D

I don't see how govt taxes and fees could be doubled with HAL pocketing the extra without them being sued or even brought up on charges by the government for fraud.

I personally think that the TA is responsible for at least some of this confusion and they aren't owning up to it. Past that I'm sorry for OP's bad situation but like others I don't quite understand why OP couldn't just say "I want the cabin I booked" and leave it at that.

To me it really seems like the TA screwed up here and is just trying to blame it on the cruise line. I'm not a HAL cheerleader by any stretch as all companies are flawed -however HAL is NOT going to take 2 reservations (which are contracts between you and them) and say you HAVE to combine to be 1 cabin. This just doesn't add up. HAL contracted with you to give you 2 cabins and now something has gone and changed that. Who has the ability to contact HAL and change that? Your TA.

I really really think you need to look at your TA and see if he/she might be the guilty party here.

Either way, I understand it's very frustrating and a bad way to start what's supposed to be a relaxing vacation. Hopefully they will be able to get this sorted out before you board.

I too am not a HAL cheerleader...I haven't even sailed with them yet but I'm leaving Sunday for my first cruise with them.

Having said that...I strongly believe this was the TA that screwed up here.

I also think the TA stands to benefit from this "deal".

I would demand a conference call between the 3 parties and when the TA refuses or says it's not possible than the OP will have her answer.

Some have suggested that OP and Mom just go ahead and share the stateroom. This may not be a valid option for several reasons. Perhaps OP is a male and either or both of them may be uncomfortable sharing the same cabin. Also one or both may be difficult roomies making sharing undesirable.

To be clear:

This was NOT optional. If we want to go on the cruise we must acept their offer share the cabin. My agent verified this twice at my request. She even presented alternatives such as booking another date, etc. Those were expressly refused. So, we either take the cruisefare portion of what was paid as a refund and consolidate to one cabin or we don't go.

One pays cruise fare, port charges and taxes in total---the two of us combined paid what it would cost 4 people to have 2 cabins since the single supplement was 100%. The cruise fare portion of the total was so low that it counted for a little over half of what was charged. The rest was port charges and taxes. The port charges amounted to what they charge 4 people even though only 2 were going and since the taxes were based on the total cruise fare portion of what was paid there is nothing "wrong" with what they charged there.

Anyway, buyer beware.........it's not the way to start a vacation and I do not plan on speding my week fighting it onboard.

How well do you know this TA?

Have you worked with them before?

Are you sure you know exactly what they did on your 'behalf' without your knowledge or agreement?

What makes you sure HAL is doing something your TA did not either misunderstand or misstate to you?

Of course, I could be completely wrong but I have a niggling little suspicion there is less than 'full TA disclosure' going on.

Sorry if I am woefully mistaken.

I just reread OP's original post. These were 'guarantee' bookings and this change to 1 cabin was their cabin assignment. I know you have to accept what ever HAL assigns when you book a guarantee, but would that include 2 linked cabins being changed to 1 cabin in a higher category? I don't see how that could be done since they had booked 2 separate guarantees (assuming we have all the corrct info about these bookings).

I just reread OP's original post. These were 'guarantee' bookings and this change to 1 cabin was their cabin assignment. I know you have to accept what ever HAL assigns when you book a guarantee, but would that include 2 linked cabins being changed to 1 cabin in a higher category? I don't see how that could be done since they had booked 2 separate guarantees (assuming we have all the corrct info about these bookings).

That doesn't sound right (2 guarantees into 1 cabin), as does the 'take it or get nothing' approach being alleged.

If in fact HAL moved parties from 2 cabins to one that is wrong. :mad:

I just am having a difficult time believing they would do that without someone (the TA?) suggesting it as an acceptable alternative.

There are times when I have traveled with folks, and our reservations are "tied" to each other, but I would never allow HAL to force us to share a room. :rolleyes:

[quote name='YubaSutter']Why didn't the OP start out by sharing 1 cabin with mother? Why would a mother and child buy 2 cabins and pay for two single supplements? Makes no sense to me.[/quote]

That is besides the point: it is nobody's business why they booked two cabins.

[quote name='YubaSutter']Why didn't the OP start out by sharing 1 cabin with mother? Why would a mother and child buy 2 cabins and pay for two single supplements? Makes no sense to me.[/quote]

[B] This is not a young child but rather an adult.

They have their own reasons for wanting their own cabins.
Doesn't have to make sense to any of us IMO
[/B]

[quote name='Boytjie']That doesn't sound right (2 guarantees into 1 cabin), as does the 'take it or get nothing' approach being alleged.[/quote]

The "take it or get nothing" might make sense[B] if the OP had agreed to the change without truly understanding [/B]that it wasn't a free balcony cabin for each traveller. Or if the TA did not explain that clearly enough when presenting the offer. To me, that is the [B]only[/B] way [B]any[/B] of this makes sense (and that is completely disregarding the assertion that each traveller is getting charged 2 X the port fees and taxes).

Like others, just because I'm travelling with someone does NOT mean I wanna be forced to share my space with them :)

[quote name='peaches from georgia']I just reread OP's original post. These were 'guarantee' bookings and this change to 1 cabin was their cabin assignment. I know you have to accept what ever HAL assigns when you book a guarantee, but would that include 2 linked cabins being changed to 1 cabin in a higher category? I don't see how that could be done since they had booked 2 separate guarantees (assuming we have all the corrct info about these bookings).[/quote]

Not exactly. Yes it was a guarantee booking, however they were each assigned a cabin and given cabin numbers.

The change to 1 cabin just happened today.

[quote=jhcrossfield;33593577
[B][B]and why did they wait until AFTER they already gave us specific cabin assignments[/B][/B].......because they could not care less about their passengers. That's why!

[/quote]

The "take it or leave it" one cabin offer came after they had already been assigned their individual cabins.

Which makes it even more odd.:confused:

"Holland is offering to refund the cruise fare and upgrade us to a balcony cabin"

Maybe I am missing something here... you will get your money back (OK, some of it, your said, not the full amount - the port fees will not be refunded) AND a balcony cabin that you have to share with your mom?

If the above is correct, why don't I feel sympathy? :rolleyes:

If not for the single supplement i'd always get my own cabin. Alone time is awesome. :-)

I personally can't sleep in a cabin with others. I do so with my boyfriend but that's where that ends, i'd never consider sharing one with a relative or any other friend, so I can very much relate to wanting your own cabin.

That's still not the point though.

I still say it's the TA....no way HAL would say sorry you have to share. They can't.

[quote name='Dayenu']"Holland is offering to refund the cruise fare and upgrade us to a balcony cabin"

Maybe I am missing something here... you will get your money back (OK, some of it, your said, not the full amount - the port fees will not be refunded) AND a balcony cabin that you have to share with your mom?

If the above is correct, why don't I feel sympathy? :rolleyes:[/quote]

They booked and paid for 2 rooms.

They were assigned 2 rooms yesterday.

Today their TA tells them that they are now in 1 room, "take it or leave it".

I'd be upset too.

They may be getting a refund for the extra surcharge cruise fare but they're losing their privacy and the money they paid for port charges and taxes.

Sounds like they're getting a rotten deal to me.

[quote name='Dayenu']"Holland is offering to refund the cruise fare and upgrade us to a balcony cabin"

If the above is correct, why don't I feel sympathy? :rolleyes:[/quote]

[B] They made the choice to book two cabins. It is the way they want it. I feel bad they are not getting what they want but still think there's a TA story here that has not been fully disclosed.

JMO.....

[/B]

Archived