Shame on Holland!!!! Never again!

I book with the cruiseline online and travel solo. I have never been charged twice for port charges. Tips and insurance are also x1. This is all broken down by item on a PDF contract. I could never trust just giving a TA my money and not getting a breakdown. Who's to say if she just pocketted that extra paid? I would only use a TA if it is a relative or close friend and still get that breakdown.

[quote name='peaches from georgia']As someone mentioned in another post, it is worth taking a quick look at OP's previous posts over the years. Most posts are grievances against all the cruiselines he has sailed and gotten "ripped off"- Seabourn, Celebrity and Azamara for starters. Complaints about all of them.

I apologize if I am wrong, but I'm beginning to wonder if we are getting the complete and true story. It's unusual that any one pax would be ripped off by every cruiseline he sails. :confused:[/quote]

There are multiple sides to every story; in this case there are three: OP's, the TA's, and HAL's. Lisa has given us a reasonable approximation of what the TA's story might be, and I find it plausible in all respects. Unfortunately, HAL is at a disadvantage here since no HAL spokesperson intervenes in these threads. In the end, it's OK that OP gets a chance to blow off steam and I like so many of you wish him/her a pleasant cruise.

However, this thread is not ratcheting up in me any concerns about cabin assignments or guarantee bookings.

[quote name='Petronillus']

However, this thread is not ratcheting up in me any concerns about cabin assignments or guarantee bookings.[/QUOTE]

Have you noticed every time there is an issue with an oversold cruise it always affects those in QTY categories.

[quote name='Jade13']Have you noticed every time there is an issue with an oversold cruise it always affects those in QTY categories.[/quote]

Yes, but that makes sense, doesn't it? It's the chance we take when we book guarantee categories. I've booked my first cruise on the Veendam in a guarantee BB cateory - because only guarantee was on offer for that category. I understand the conditions of booking. But if I am told that the the cruise is oversold, and I have no cabin, I will accept it - but it's not likely that I would ever book again with Holland America.

But if I am told that the cruise is oversold, and I have no cabin, I will accept it

If you book a guarantee cabin and the sailing is over-sold can you end up with no cabin? I thought you were guaranteed at minimum the category that you booked. Thanks.....

Given how upset the OP was, I'm sure there were misunderstandings. I know when I'm upset and trying to understand details, sometimes I don't "get it" until I'm calm.

As far as having to share, well, lots of people who live alone are used to it.

On trips without my husband, I've shared rooms with other family that I get along with famously, and it would have been so much more pleasant if I could have had my own room, got ready for the day and gathered myself before greeting them in the morning. It doesn't have to be any more personal than that.

I can't wait to find out if it all turned out OK.

........As far as having to share, well, lots of people who live alone are used to it.

On trips without my husband, I've shared rooms with other family that I get along with famously, and it would have been so much more pleasant if I could have had my own room, got ready for the day and gathered myself before greeting them in the morning. It doesn't have to be any more personal than that.

I can't wait to find out if it all turned out OK.

If you choose to share a room with others, that is all very well, but it has nothing to do with this situation.

The parties involved here do not wish to share a cabin.

They booked and paid for two cabins.

If you book and pay for two guarantee cabins, it means that they guarantee you will get two cabins of at least the category you booked, or higher.

When cruise lines or airlines overbook, they just keep offering incentives to passengers to induce them to change their plans and keep sweetening the pot and shuffling people around until they get enough volunteers.

It is a common occurrence.

As others have suggested, this may be a case where the travel agency messed up the booking and made up a story to cover themselves, or it could simply be a matter of miscommunication.

There appears to be a large essential piece missing from this puzzle. :confused:

It seems that the Volendam is the only ship sailing for Alaska tomorrow. When I did a test booking the Govt Fees and Taxes showed as $106 per person.

If you were able to do a test booking how sold out can it be?

If you book a guarantee cabin and the sailing is over-sold can you end up with no cabin? I thought you were guaranteed at minimum the category that you booked. Thanks.....

You ARE guaranteed that. They might try to offer you something else like a different sailing but you are under NO OBLIGATION to accept their offer. It's up to the consumer. Please don't become misinformed by the thread.

To be clear:

This was NOT optional. If we want to go on the cruise we must acept their offer share the cabin. My agent verified this twice at my request. She even presented alternatives such as booking another date, etc. Those were expressly refused. So, we either take the cruisefare portion of what was paid as a refund and consolidate to one cabin or we don't go.

One pays cruise fare, port charges and taxes in total---the two of us combined paid what it would cost 4 people to have 2 cabins since the single supplement was 100%. The cruise fare portion of the total was so low that it counted for a little over half of what was charged. The rest was port charges and taxes. The port charges amounted to what they charge 4 people even though only 2 were going and since the taxes were based on the total cruise fare portion of what was paid there is nothing "wrong" with what they charged there.

Anyway, buyer beware.........it's not the way to start a vacation and I do not plan on speding my week fighting it onboard.

It's not adding up in my book. If you really want to get to the bottom of this........tell you TA that your want a three way call with the cruise line. They will tell you exactly was transpired. I think you have a sneaky TA.

If you choose to share a room with others, that is all very well, but it has nothing to do with this situation.

The parties involved here do not wish to share a cabin.

They booked and paid for two cabins.

If you book and pay for two guarantee cabins, it means that they guarantee you will get two cabins of at least the category you booked, or higher.

You're right. They bought two cabins and expected to have two cabins. They were entitled to two cabins. I can see why HAL made the offer. They probably looked for linked reservations to see if they could get some people to share. So they made the offer--trade in two separate OV cabins to share one "better" verandah cabin and get some money back. OP and his mother get a better cabin and HAL has an extra cabin to use to help solve the overbooking problem. This sounds like a win-win from HAL's POV. Depending on the family member in question, I'd call it a win-win.

BUT the OP did not want this and should not be forced to take it.

<snip>

...it could simply be a matter of miscommunication.

There appears to be a large essential piece missing from this puzzle. :confused:

I think miscommunication is likely at the root of this. Either OP or the TA thought the offer was "upgrade from OV to verandah for both reservations" and did not hear "TWO OV to ONE veranda." I can understand the OP thinking he had the deal of a lifetime. But an experienced TA should have realized that such a change was too good to be true. Plus, as someone has aleady said, this upgrade did nothing to solve HAL's overbooking problems.

I guess OP and Mom are on their way now. I hope they can look at this as a good bargain, enjoy the verandah, and have a good time in Alaska. OP can look for a new TA when he gets home.

Have read, re-read, and then re-read this thread several times!!! Really don't understand, and I have done TA work in the past. Think that the TA must have done some fancy manuvering to have this happen to client. No reputable cruise line (which I feel that HAL is) will stick two people from two separate bookings into one cabin!!!!!!!! OP should have gone directly to HAL (first explaining what is going on) and left TA out of equation. In such an instance probably HAL would have worked with OP to resolve in a satisfactory manner.

Something is fishy, but then OP seems dissatisfied with most cruise lines in general, and my thinking is that they should try another form of vacation since most posts by OP are negative!

Sorry, but JMHO!

"Holland is offering to refund the cruise fare and upgrade us to a balcony cabin"

Maybe I am missing something here... you will get your money back (OK, some of it, your said, not the full amount - the port fees will not be refunded) AND a balcony cabin that you have to share with your mom?

If the above is correct, why don't I feel sympathy? :rolleyes:

Wow...You can't be serious..:( Let's hope you never have a situation such as this..Has it ever occurred to you that this could be a Gentleman & both Mom & Son, don't want to share a cabin or bathroom with each other..If I were to sail alone with our 45 + yr old Son, I wouldn't be comfortable sharing with him either..

As Lisa said this is probably a miscommunication with all parties the TA & HAL & the OP..We've cruised with HAL for 15 yrs & I've been a member of CC for about 10 yrs & have never heard of a situation such as this..I know first hand that HAL makes offers first & our TA will relay these offers to us..

The single suppliment is 200%, not 100%. Also my TA who does large volume with Hal does not show taxes & port charges as a separate item - just a total.

First of all I do a trial booking with HAL on-line to check the fare & available cabins..I don't complete the booking, but then call our TA..He again gives me the breakdown of the cabin, port charges & taxes, on the phone when we book our cruises... But, their Cruise Deposit confirmation which is e-mailed to us, shows the entire fare, including port charges & taxes as one..

To the OP..I hope you get this sorted out before you travel & enjoy your cruise..

Please let us know how you made out..

Betty

The issue almost has to be with the OP's travel agent. She has had issues with multiple cruises on multiple lines based on her posting history. Coincidence?

Don't understand why so many on this board are assuming this is a Female poster..;)It could very well be a Male poster..

Don't understand why so many on this board are assuming this is a Female poster..;)It could very well be a Male poster..

Unless a poster has a picture or signs his/her posts with a name, I try not to assume gender and do my best to stay gender neutral in responses. :)

I think you're right.....

go down to post #5, signed "John"

Good investigative work, Josie! :D

I'm sorry for sounding like a cheerleader, or insulting anyone as I don't mean to at all, but and just doing simplistic math...

If a cabin is $1k pp ($2k total) and you book 2 cabins with 1 person each but paying $4k ($2k x 2) for the rooms, you're getting bumped together with an upgrade to a balcony and you're getting the one room fare back so you're only paying a $2k total and got the balcony?

Uhm... I don't understand the worry???

You're spending $2k less, right? I'm not sure how much wine drink and not sure if you're flying in an AH64 Apache helicopter... but really?

Honestly sounds like you're coming out ahead.

Derek

It all sounds a little fishy to me (no pun intended). The OP and his mother have probably left already but if it was me and this was the real situation I would explain this at check in and see if they have any no shows. Perhaps then they might get offered 2 cabins as they originally requested. Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you're right.....

go down to post #5, signed "John"

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=31680890#post31680890

Thanks Josie...It sounded to me like a man too, but I wasn't about to assume that..As I mentioned before, hope he sorts this out, because if it was me I too would be upset if I were forced to share a cabin with our Son, after booking 2 singles & I know he would be too..

Cheers..Betty

I'm sorry for sounding like a cheerleader, or insulting anyone as I don't mean to at all, but and just doing simplistic math...

If a cabin is $1k pp ($2k total) and you book 2 cabins with 1 person each but paying $4k ($2k x 2) for the rooms, you're getting bumped together with an upgrade to a balcony and you're getting the one room fare back so you're only paying a $2k total and got the balcony?

Uhm... I don't understand the worry???

You're spending $2k less, right? I'm not sure how much wine drink and not sure if you're flying in an AH64 Apache helicopter... but really?

Honestly sounds like you're coming out ahead.

Derek

Oh I agree it is a good deal but I think there was a communication problem between the TA and the OP and he was thinking he was getting two Verandah Suites not one. My guess is he really did not want to share a room with the other person. These kind of offers are made often for Alaska more than other itineraries and actually more with Princess ;)

It really is a great deal but I think he thought he was getting 2 cabins and after he agreed then realized was upset.

Don't worry.

You will have a cabin at least in the category of your guarantee.

Archived