3 drawers with 3 people?

alexieb

We board the Liberty this Saturday. Since we live locally we don't have weight restrictions on our suitcases and that means I can bring extra clothing options. There are only those 3 small desk drawers.

I am looking for some creative ideas on where to store the clothing in an organized way. keeping everything organized on the closet shelves can be tiresome.

And before someone says it, I know that I can always bring less clothes. :)

We board the Liberty this Saturday. Since we live locally we don't have weight restrictions on our suitcases and that means I can bring extra clothing options. There are only those 3 small desk drawers.

I am looking for some creative ideas on where to store the clothing in an organized way. keeping everything organized on the closet shelves can be tiresome.

And before someone says it, I know that I can always bring less clothes. :)

How are closet shelves tiresome? Have been on 29 cruises, always overpack and never needed extra space.

I would store everything that can be stored folded in an unzipped suitcase under the bed. It's easy enough to pull it in and out, then if you have tops and bottoms stacked together you don't have to dig through the whole pile to take out an outfit.

I also either have the steward remove the robes and the beach towels that I don't use or I let him know that I've put them away so he doesn't charge me for them.

In the closet hang sets of cloths together (top over capris/pants). Have each person put their undies in ziplock bags, it makes it easy to unpack and more than one person can use each of the drawers. For the ladies, keep all of your makeup in a bag or ziplock. Take the Bible out of the hairdryer drawer and use that little nitch for extra space.

And there are shelves under the part of the desk/vanity that is under the TV.

Here's what I done when traveling with a friend:

1) desk drawer 1 = sunglasses, pens, extension cord, etc.

2) drawer 2 = Person #1's underwear

3) drawer 3 = Person #2's underwear

4) shelves (with door) under vanity: left side = person #1's swimsuit, right side = person #2's swimsuit

5) nightstand = each person's PJs

6) hanging closet #1 - everyone's "nice clothes, laundry bag

7) hanging closet #2 - everyone's less nice but needs hanging clothes

8) closet shelves - foldable clothes - teeshirts, shorts, etc.

9) bottom of closet - shoes

I agree with OP that the shelves in the closet are hard to keep organized.

I think bringing extra hangers is a great solution, lots of closet space!!!!

We also bring a bag with a pullstring to put dirty laundry in, you can put that under the bed or leave in the closet floor as long as nothing is particularly stinky.

Good luck and happy sailing!!!!!

Carole

Closet, shelf and drawer space on the Liberty is exactly the same and on any other Carnival ship. From my experience more than enough room for 3 overpacking cruisers (including 2 women with a week's worth of extra dresses and more shoes than Imelda Marcos).

With just 2 of us on the Liberty last month, I even got more than 1 drawer and 3/4 of a closet:D. If you need the room, you can keep some foldable stuff in a suitcase under the bed and just swap out with dirty stuff as week goes by. I would agree that keeping the shelves organized can be a challenge as DW routinely rips through her shelves looking for something, then has to refold.

I agree with OP that the shelves in the closet are hard to keep organized.

I think bringing extra hangers is a great solution, lots of closet space!!!!

We also bring a bag with a pullstring to put dirty laundry in, you can put that under the bed or leave in the closet floor as long as nothing is particularly stinky.

Good luck and happy sailing!!!!!

Carole

You can ask the steward for more hangers.

A couple months before a cruise I start saving the cheap metal hangers that my clothes come back on from the dry cleaners. They weigh nothing, take up very little space in my bag, and I just leave them on the ship when the cruise is over.

I hang my clothes in the closet in outfits (shirt & capris/shorts on one hanger) and when clothes are dirty I fold them and put them back in the suitcase. That way I have little packing to do the last night of the trip (and if the dirty stuff is zipped up in a suitcase it keeps it from stinking up the whole room). The only things I put in the drawers or on the shelves in the closet are swimsuits and underwear.

I've used M&MGirl1's method of using wire hangers for 20 yrs now for all types of travels (not just cruising) and it does save alot of headaches. If you don't use a dry cleaner frequently or are short on time to collect wire hangers try your local dollar store for inexpensive metal or plastic hangers. With some of the Carnival ship's you can ask your steward to remove the shelves that you have 3 seperate "hang bar" closets.

Another suggestion it to "pack" your toilettes either in a men's kit bag or in an over the door jewelry organizer. Once onboard keep your items in the bag or organizer (when not in use) so they are seperate from your roommates' things. The same thing can be done for cosmetics and hair accessories.

Finally most ships offer a laundry service. You can try to cut back on the amount of outfits packed by sending things out for the same day wash and fold service. Generally they will run a special for this service nearly half way through the cruise. For some trips this allows me to pack only 2/3rds of what I would normally bring if there is no laundry service.

You can ask the steward for more hangers.

You can also double up the clothes on the hangars.

When I travel w/2 other people, 1 person takes the drawers, and the other 2 take the shelves. Top desk drawer is used for misc. items. Always had more than enough room. And you can store some clothes in the suitcases.

You will have plenty of space. I would rather deal with folded stacked clothes on a closet shelf than pull out a suitcase from under the bed each morning.

Agreed with another poster that there are very large drawers under the sofa with easy access.

Personally, I use the "pack wire hangers" method. Easy, you do not have to wait for the steward to bring more hangers and frankly everything I brought goes on a hanger except underwear! And if I could figure out a way to hang them on a hanger, I would. LOL!

I am the world's worst "overpacker" ; but I don't care. If I need that perfect pink pair of shoes to go with that perfect pink dress - I bring them. Even if that perfect pink dress has tons of black and white and basic colors in it too. I have never run out of space to put things away neatly. :)

And there are shelves under the part of the desk/vanity that is under the TV.

Here's what I done when traveling with a friend:

1) desk drawer 1 = sunglasses, pens, extension cord, etc.

2) drawer 2 = Person #1's underwear

3) drawer 3 = Person #2's underwear

4) shelves (with door) under vanity: left side = person #1's swimsuit, right side = person #2's swimsuit

5) nightstand = each person's PJs

6) hanging closet #1 - everyone's "nice clothes, laundry bag

7) hanging closet #2 - everyone's less nice but needs hanging clothes

8) closet shelves - foldable clothes - teeshirts, shorts, etc.

9) bottom of closet - shoes

Oh good grief....shove it wherever and go have some fun.:cool:

There are 4 of us all in one cabin every time. We think there is more room than a regular hotel, especially closet space! We don't take an over the door hanger, either.

If for some reason you run out of space, store some things you won't need, like non-cruise clothes/jackets, in the suitcases under the bed. Since we drive for 2 days to get to the ports and our weather is generally a lot colder than the ports, we have cold weather clothes with us. Last time two of us were cold in Tampa, there was a brisk wind blowing on embarkation day, so they wore their heavy jackets onto the boat instead of leaving them in the car. Stored them in the suitcases never to be seen again.

There are also those little bedside stands on either side of the bed that you can store small things in. In our Legend cabin there was also a narrow 3 shelf cupboard on the wall across from the foot of the bed. We stored all of our rain slickers and snorkel equipment there.

I bring extra plastic hangers (just a few) or ask the steward for extras. I also have a hanging shoe organizer (not an over the door pocket, but a hanging cubbie stack) that can house all sorts of things clothing or otherwise.

I love travel "space bags" When clothes are dirty or wet I put them in the space bags, roll out the air, and put them in the suitcases under the bed. It leaves more room in the suitcase for packing the souvenirs we pick up on the trip, and it keeps clean clothes from being mixed with dirty ones. :)

I'm probably about the least casual:

to pack:

fold and roll each shirt & secure with a rubber band (kind of jelly roll style)

fold and roll each bottom & secure with a rubber band

put all undies in a ziplock

put all socks in a ziplock

to unpack: 1 shelf =

tops along the left side, rolled edge touching the wall

bottoms along the right side, rolled edge touching the wall

(this way you can see every item at the same time)

ziplocks in the middle

hang up a few dressier pieces

at night choose outfit for the next day and hang up (sometimes Wrinkle Release it)

Shoes and misc into an over-the-door hanger

I am definitely in favor of the over the door shoe holder if you aren't flying anyway. I leave one with my mom and dad who drive and meet us on board. With four of us in a cabin it is good for sunscreen, swim goggles for the kids, etc. which frees up the drawers for only clothes. There is laundry on board but it is SO slow to dry. We did it once when we stayed in LA for five days before boarding. A messy room does not allow me to relax, so i am all for organization.

Archived