Venice hotel Sorry to beat a dead horse!

Water Princess

We will be flying into Venice 1 day pre-cruise. We have been fortunate enough to have spent time in Venice before and on this cruise we do an overnite with another full day and a half in this beautiful port. This time tho we'd like to take the airport bus or a cab to Piazza Roma and stay in a hotel nearby. And when I say close I mean close...no bridges and not a long walk. My husband can walk, but with some difficulty, and pulling luggage doesn't help!

Doing some research I found three hotels which seem to be pretty close to Piazza Roma:

Olimpia -CaDoge - Santa Ciari.

Does anyone know if these are really close? Can Taxis (not Water Taxis) get us near enough to them?

Any other hotel suggestions would be appreciated as well.

We've done the water taxis from the airport to hotels but would like to do it less expensively and easier this time.

Thanks for the help!!!

Olympia is across a bridge.

Santa Chiara or Ca Doge a land taxi would be able to pull right up in front of. We stayed at Ca Doge, but they don't have an elevator, so it's climbing stairs. I don't believe Santa Chiara has an elevator either.

Good luck and I hope you have a great trip!

The Santa Chiara and Ca Doge are right in the Piazzale Roma so a cab can drop you off at the door, or if you take the express bus you'll have less than a block to walk. Santa Chiara has a lift. I think the Olimpia does too.

The Best Western Olimpia has one small bridge to cross.

In this link, click on the red bar beneath the hotel name where it says "click for aerial view". You can zoom in to see the bridge.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

Thanks for the information...it was very helpful and helped us make our final decision. Sta Chiara is not available so we booked Olimpia. After looking at the aerials we decided it was definetly doable and the photos of the hotel looked great.

We plan on just dropping off luggage and heading out for the day. It's close enough to take either a taxi or people mover to the port the next day as well.

Thanks again...

We just came back from three nts post-cruise at the Santa Chiara. I had found many recommendations on these boards precisely because of the ease of getting there from the pier.

The People mover is 1 euro each but does require a bit of a walk from the terminal. Once we got to Piazzale Roma, no bridges to cross to get to the Chiara.

Very friendly helpful front desk offered to keep our luggage & made suggestions for how we might want to spend our day.

Had a canal view room (there are only a few) - downside is there is boat traffic so there's a noise we're not used to. Upside is it's fun to watch the boat traffic and everything else going on.

Vaporetti await you just to the left of the hotel. Ticket booths there as well. Bus to the airport is right there.

One fun thing was downloading Rick Steve's (free) audio so when we took vaporetto no. 1 to San Marco we had a palace by palace explanation.

Santa Chiara rooms showing wear but it was certainly convenient.

We just came back from three nts post-cruise at the Santa Chiara. I had found many recommendations on these boards precisely because of the ease of getting there from the pier.

The People mover is 1 euro each but does require a bit of a walk from the terminal. Once we got to Piazzale Roma' date=' no bridges to cross to get to the Chiara.

Very friendly helpful front desk offered to keep our luggage & made suggestions for how we might want to spend our day.

Had a canal view room (there are only a few) - downside is there is boat traffic so there's a noise we're not used to. Upside is it's fun to watch the boat traffic and everything else going on.

Vaporetti await you just to the left of the hotel. Ticket booths there as well. Bus to the airport is right there.

One fun thing was downloading Rick Steve's (free) audio so when we took vaporetto no. 1 to San Marco we had a palace by palace explanation.

Santa Chiara rooms showing wear but it was certainly convenient.[/quote']

We will be at Santa Chiara for 2 pre-cruise days. Could you tell me if there are restaurants and shopping within walking distance?

We also booked here pre-cruise. We will be coming in by train and hope to be able to just walk with all of our luggage (we don't travel light :() and also do the same on the People Mover. Hope there are some restaurants close by that won't break the bank. Also a place to purchase our wine for embarkation. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

We will be at Santa Chiara for 2 pre-cruise days. Could you tell me if there are restaurants and shopping within walking distance?

Hotel staff highly recommends Trattoria Brus----- (can't remember the whole name) just a few minutes walk away. They, like Rick Steves, will tell you to avoid the "Menu Turistico" that you see at the other places.

We did go to the trattoria they suggested. They do not have a set menu but the pasta (first plate) and grilled calamari (second plate) were delicious. Second night we actually went back but the same waitress we had (from Shanghai) was rude & unwelcoming so we didn't stay.

Ended up at one of the set menu restaurants around the corner. While food was just OK we were surprised by 2 CC'ers from our cruise showing up at the same place, just by chance. So we had a very enjoyable evening. You'll know these places by the "grilled pork chop," "milanese" or pollo choices. These places make their money more from the water & wine after offering what appears to be a reasonable prix fixe.

Not too many places around there.

We also booked here pre-cruise. We will be coming in by train and hope to be able to just walk with all of our luggage (we don't travel light :() and also do the same on the People Mover. Hope there are some restaurants close by that won't break the bank. Also a place to purchase our wine for embarkation. Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

Coming in on the train will put you right by the Ferrovia vaporetto stop. As long as you can move the luggage yourselves there shouldn't be any trouble ; -)

As far as restaurants that don't break the bank.... well.... keep in mind you ARE in Venice! Venice is small so it isn't far to anywhere. You will find restaurants and shops with wine available in many Ca's.

When you come out onto the canal the vaporetto is right in front to the left. If you keep walking down the street, Rio Tera Lista de Spagna, in that direction there are restaurants, and further along, shops ; -)

Coming in on the train will put you right by the Ferrovia vaporetto stop. As long as you can move the luggage yourselves there shouldn't be any trouble ; -)

As far as restaurants that don't break the bank.... well.... keep in mind you ARE in Venice! Venice is small so it isn't far to anywhere. You will find restaurants and shops with wine available in many Ca's.

When you come out onto the canal the vaporetto is right in front to the left. If you keep walking down the street, Rio Tera Lista de Spagna, in that direction there are restaurants, and further along, shops ; -)

Thank you so much!

Archived