Why do YOU cruise?

I've never been a cruise , but I can't wait to go. I'm going to cruise to try something new , go to a new place I've never been, a ship I've never been on , and plus it's so affordable. Can't wait to try it all:)

I have read quite a few threads where a person comments, or heaven forbid, complains about something on his/her cruise and many a poster here comes on and says well...I don't cruise for:

the ports

the food

the music

the drinks of the day

the dining rooms

the activities

the people

the bars.

Most of those folk state they cruise for the sea, like they are sprites or merfolk or something. I was just wondering if you are one of those why would you not buy a boat? Last I heard the sea lets everyone on. If you are not one of those folk, why do you cruise?

I cruise for the ports,the food, the music, the DOD'S, the dining rooms, the activities, the people, the bars, and most importantly for the sea :D.

I cruise for relaxation, meeting new people and the food.

I love cruising just to be on the ship and to disconnect from the rat-race in a sense. I do not bring the cell, i-pad or laptop and do not wear my watch except when in port. There is a sense of relaxation sitting on a balcony and seeing nothing but water while hearing the sounds of the ship cutting through the waves. The drink of the days help too.

ChipQ http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

OP - I cruise because my DH loves it and yes, WE DO HAVE A BOAT, our 2nd one so far. I am not boat crazy like DH, but a cruise is a lot more relaxing than a land vacation where you are constantly on the go throughout the day. I still love my land vacations though. :)

I normally am the planner of our vacations, and I feel the need to plan to minute details because the rest of them could stay in the room and watch TV all day. Plus, I don't want to be planning while I'm on the actually vacation.

With a cruise, everything is taken care of for me, especially the eating part. I cruise because I can get away from it all, I get unlimited food, and I'm taken care of. Food is a big deal for those I travel with; therefore, if the food is not great or the service isn't up to expectations, then it makes a difference. It's a less about the people in our case because I see them every day, or if we're traveling with extended family, we see them at least once a month.

When my children were younger we used to take land vacations. They kids were on vacation but I was only on semi vacation. I had to organize meals and activities for the family. I would very often hear “Where are we going to eat?” “What are we going to do today?”

Then we went on a cruise for vacation and alas I was on vacation. Dinner is at 6, be there or eat at the buffet. Activities look in the Capers. This was great, I was free! (No I didn't let them run free)

Now the kids are grown and it is just the DW and I. They only thing that has changed is our cruise is no longer a week, now it’s a B2B and next summer a B2B2B.

So in addition to everything listed, I also cruise for the memories. Each cruise brings back the memories of each and every vacation that the family has taken.

I cruise because many above had said:

I do not have to clean, cook, get a DD;), phone calls, emails and no work! Enjoying the seas and people watching are GREAT!

Its the best vacation Ive been on. Love all the activities you can chose from or just soak up the sun.:D

Our first cruise was because of the romanticism or idea of going on a cruise.

I can't find any downsides to cruising (most of the risks of cruising such as fires or norovirus can also occur on land vacations).

The main reason we enjoy cruising is that we can go to multiple places on our vacation without having to drive. We get to see more of the world, and have more experiences than we would with a land vacation. Other perks of cruising include the foods that we wouldn't get to try otherwise, and it's already included in the price, the free entertainment that we can do on the ship. Plus, there is still some romanticism involved. I like waking up early and watching the sun rise over the ocean, and at least for a little bit, there isn't a single problem anywhere in the world.

I like the options that cruising gives you. There's a lot to do on the ship...spa, gym, shows, shopping, waterslide, Serenity Deck (my happy place!), and the ports/shore excursions and seeing different places all in one trip is something that I love too!

Since I am a single mother of a 16 year old son with Aspergers, I need to get away and destress from everything - no cooking, driving, texting, phone calls, writing bills, food shopping, and much more. The cruise takes care of everything for me when I need something. The captain drives the boat and I can drink all I want and don't have to worry about driving home. The cabin is not too far away for me to walk "home." Hee hee! Seven more days, The Bahamas, here we come!

The answer is in my signature: I cruise because that's where the ocean is.:)

Hahaha I thought of you immediately when I saw this question. I never thought I'd like to cruise because I thought I'd hate being stuck on a ship. Had a little extra money so decided to take a cruise in 2011 and loved, loved, loved it! I think I like it a lot more than DH but he happily comes along for the ride. I've always loved the ocean and that's where most of our land vacations take place but nothing beats actually being on it. Another big draw for me is being able to see multiple places like someone else mentioned without having to get there yourself, pack, unpack etc.

We cruise because...

1)... what better way to get away on vacation than to be around beautiful islands and people of other countries all while being pampered with all-you-can-eat food and endless things to do round the clock?

2) ...we need some relaxation from our hectic day-to-day lives that most of us lead in today's world.

3) ...of all the "fun in the sun!" on some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

4) ...I love to snorkle and my bath tub is no longer challenging!

5) ...where else can you go to see so many strangers doing strange things in strange places?

6) ... the bags are packed and the wife is telling me that's where we're going again. (the ladies will like that one) :D

That's a few of the reasons. However, I am sure more will come to me as I sit here and ponder all the wondering things that we will encounter on our next cruise!

At first I started cruising in 2004 as a way to experience different cultures in the different ports of call but since we have been to most of the Caribbean ports we now cruise to experience the different Carnival ships.

Top 10 reasons why I cruise:

10. All the amazing ports of call (cozumel, key west, grand turk would be my top three).

9. Meeting new people from all walks of life on the ship.

8. Sitting out on the lido deck and in the serenity area.

7. Caribbean sunrises and sunsets.

6. Playing sports trivia in the sports bar. I love winning those 24 karat ships on a stick.

5. Sitting on my balcony at night and watching the stars.

4. The food. Gotta love all the different things that you can try on a fun ship.

3. When the waiters and assistant waiters sing and dance in the dining room each night.

2. Trying new adventures (swimming with stingrays and dolphins, snorkeling, island tours, monkey farms, zip lines through the jungle, cave tubing, swimming with manatees, and climbing waterfalls).

But the number one thing that I love about cruising is:

1. The first moment you step foot on the ship during embarkation. Seeing the atrium for the first time is always breathtaking.

Archived