Why do YOU cruise?

I grew up on the sea and so I have saltwater in my blood it seems. I fear it and love it all at the same time. The sea is such a grand display of creation. Its the one place where humanity is so small. 4,000 people are just a blip on the radar.

While there are many benefits to cruising, the main one for me is that I can completely unplug and spend time with my husband, who is my BFF. We can be carefree and not be parents to 8 children, employees,leaders, volunteers, neighbors, friends etc... for a short time. Those are all good things, but a real break now and then is what keeps us well adjusted and productive.

I love to cruise to see exotic places at a reasonable cost, the meals are wonderful and love to get away from it all. We really don't partake in drinking except to take an excursion that has drinks included. My DD is going for the first time and is so excited about Camp Carnival that she insists she will make a friend and hang out with her the entire time. Cruising is fun.

For us it's an all-inclusive vacation since neither of us really drinks other than a glass of wine with dinner. Plus, we don't waste time driving to different locations during the week as the ship does that for you while you sleep, very comfortably I might add.

I have read quite a few threads where a person comments, or heaven forbid, complains about something on his/her cruise and many a poster here comes on and says well...I don't cruise for:

the ports

the food

the music

the drinks of the day

the dining rooms

the activities

the people

the bars.

Most of those folk state they cruise for the sea, like they are sprites or merfolk or something. I was just wondering if you are one of those why would you not buy a boat? Last I heard the sea lets everyone on. If you are not one of those folk, why do you cruise?

I cruise for the ports,the food, the music, the DOD'S, the dining rooms, the activities, the people, the bars, and most importantly for the sea :D.

Because I'm fortunate enough to be able to do it. Always nice to get the family and friends together some quality time and the ship is the best way to do. Nobody can run off and go home. ;)

Love the food, the atmosphere, the ocean and the POC's, the cruise life in general.

After all, there's no better way to vacation and get what you get for the money....

I cruise because I love ships. The largest moving objects ever made by man.

Not trying to hijack the thread but....Lou are you the pilot of that machine?

Was about 10 hours away from my ticket and had to stop. Need to go back and finish.

I agree with those saying they cruise for the escape from the tedious chores we must do at home..cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I also have a residential cleaning business so I REALLY appreciate a break from all of that. All the rest is just a super nice bonus. :D

All of the above as well. There is no vacation that I've ever gone on where I feel the most relaxed like I am on a ship.

Everything disappears when you're on a cruise, no stress, no nothing.

I love all vacations. We have skied, Disneyed, driven to places like Yellowstone and enjoyed them all, but there is nothing like cruising. There is nothing like unpacking once and seeing so many different places. I love eating, the entertainment and just the total relaxation that cruising offers. And the best part of it is, someone else does all the work. The sail away is probably my single favorite event that happens on a cruise. (Probably because that means the cruise is just beginning.)

We cruise because we enjoy the sea and I don't enjoy being in the same place for more than a couple of days. And while I like to relax for a short time, I need a considerable amount of activity to be happy and the great thing about a cruise is you can do as little or as much as you want. DH is a picky eater, and on a ship we never have to have the dreaded,"What do you want to do for dinner?" conversation. We're taking a land vacation the end of June - our first in a long time. Keeping my fingers crossed that it goes smoothly!

I love cruising because it's so easy to plan our vacations.

There's so much planning to a road trip which we used to do before getting hooked on cruising. ie. places to visit, motels, etc.

Archived