Got an Upgrade Offer..Help!

Ahh poo :( Sorry you missed it. When it is THAT time, getting close to a cruise, I hover over my email inbox like a vulture just hoping for the upsell offer to come. Better luck next time. But you will enjoy your VA all the same. Should still be a special cruise. Enjoy!! :)

Just got 2 upsell offers a couple of days apart for our Alaska Inside Passage on the Volendam. The first one was $149/person from a D Outside Cabin to an AA Veranda - took it! Yesterday, a second offer for $199/person from the AA Veranda to Deluxe Veranda Suite - took it also. Total cost $348/person to go from an Outside to a Suite. Needless to say, we are quite happy. We usually book a veranda but since we have done this trip before, thought that we would just go with an outside cabin. Isn't it wonderful how somethings just work out!!

Lynda

Ahh poo :( Sorry you missed it. When it is THAT time, getting close to a cruise, I hover over my email inbox like a vulture just hoping for the upsell offer to come. Better luck next time. But you will enjoy your VA all the same. Should still be a special cruise. Enjoy!! :)

That would be me :D. I was calling HAL before I even read the e-mail fully. I was very happy to go from a VA to SS.

:confused: I have been on 9 HAL cruises and have never gotten an upsale offer. Do I need to be a 4 star??

No, you don't have to 4* at all - in fact some think newer cruisers get the offers:p No one knows how the upgrade/upsell fairy works - and if they do they aren't talking:p Seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes

:confused: I have been on 9 HAL cruises and have never gotten an upsale offer. Do I need to be a 4 star??

No, I think that actually works against you:D. There was an upsell offer made to someone in the same category as I had to go from an outside to a balcony. That person didn't want it but I did. I wasn't able to get it.

No, you don't have to 4* at all - in fact some think newer cruisers get the offers:p No one knows how the upgrade/upsell fairy works - and if they do they aren't talking:p Seems to be no rhyme or reason sometimes

I am a one star, and only because I have cruised Carnival, never HAL.

I received upsell offers twice.I took the second one.

I am a one star, and only because I have cruised Carnival, never HAL.

I received upsell offers twice.I took the second one.

same here currently 2 star and not sure if I was one or 2 star when I got 1st upsell, will be 3 star after this cruise ( double points and extra points for bar tab add up)

To me this seems to point to the fact that newbies get more opportunities. When I suggested this I got my butt chewed out by a certain poster. I think most cruise lines operate this way. It is what it is.

To me this seems to point to the fact that newbies get more opportunities. When I suggested this I got my butt chewed out by a certain poster. I think most cruise lines operate this way. It is what it is.

I agree. If you are a first-timer and on a guarantee that really ups your chances. JMHO.

I also agree. My first HAL cruise I booked an SZ guarantee and was assigned an SA, 4 doors down from the NL.

I think they give good offers or assignments to newbies to "hook" them, particularly if they see you have a history of sailing other lines.

My first time with Oceania they gave me a great upsell offer from a veranda cabin to a suite just before final payment was due.

I think it helps when you book with the cruise, no middle man, no delay in getting the info. But you may be correct 1st Celeberity cruise we went on had a veranda booked was upgraded to a Sky suite ( they knew we were diamond on RCCL)

I've only had two Upsell offers. First on the Ryndam (didn't take it) and then last November on the Noordam, went from a "D" outside to a Veranda (don't remember which category, but not a suite) for $99 per person. We actually thought it was $199 per person, but when the CC charge came in it was 198 total!

I've been upgraded every time (except for the upsell). Some times just within the category, some times up one.

Best was this past February on the NA. I went from the smallest inside (MM I think) to a "D" outside! Best upgrade ever!

Luck of the Draw I guess.

Cheers,

Deb

[quote name='DWAliaschief']Interesting - we are 4 star and have been offered 2 up sells on our Antartica cruise.[/quote]
At least someone is getting them. May I ask if you booked thru the cruise line or thru a TA?

We are 1* Mariners (will become 2* during this cruise). We originally booked a specific VA cabin (an aft) back in October. In November, the prices went down on suites, so we switched to a SZ Guarantee, and SAVED $249 per person by doing so.

I just got off the phone with my TA (not HAL) who advised we were offered an upsell to an SA for $149 per person. I took it, because we still netted a savings of $100 over the original VA we had chosen, but are now in an SA a few doors down from the Neptune lounge on deck 7.

This is the first upsell offers we have had (had a VH guarantee on our first cruise - received a wonderful VA Aft Guarantee as our assignment - no upsells received.) Did not receive any upsells or upgrades on our last HAL cruise where we had specific cabins selected.

Upsells are very personal decisions, I think. What may seem like too much money for seem many not seem like too much for others. Since I still came out ahead of what we were willing to pay for our original cabin (and much less than these cabins were priced just a few days ago!) I jumped at the opportunity to try a suite for the first time.

Can't wait! Good luck to all people out there waiting for guarantee assignments/upsells!

Lorekauf- we book directly with HAL using our PCC - we let her know what we're interested in and what we aren't. On our last NA cruise - booked a guarantee SC and got an upgrade (not upsell) to an SA. Using the PCC works well for us.

[quote name='DWAliaschief']Lorekauf- we book directly with HAL using our PCC - we let her know what we're interested in and what we aren't. On our last NA cruise - booked a guarantee SC and got an upgrade (not upsell) to an SA. Using the PCC works well for us.[/quote]
I'm beginning to think it helps booking directly with HAL. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. Thx.

Just got an offer through our TA from HAL on an upsell from a VD to SS category on the 12-night NA Med Cruise on 06/17/12, and we took it!! It wasn't cheap, but it was far less expensive than we could get it if we booked now.

There are three us family members traveling together so the extra space will be really nice!!!

SDCruiser

Archived