What are your....

I think we will be investing in some walkie talkies before the cruise! I didn't think about using those to talk to them. We are sailing out of N.O. and are coming from Baton Rouge so we are pretty lucky we won't have to worry about late flights, luggage restrictions ect. Our boys are pretty responsible...Well for teens...and they will def. have a curfew. Can you allow them charging privlages but limit the amount they get? With the soda card I doubt he will really need to use it but kinda of a just in case. I plan on giving him some dollar bills to use for tipping.

[quote name='jtwitch']Here's the surge protector/outlet strip that is often mentioned as a must-buy! It worked great for us!

[URL]http://ow.ly/aOSf9[/URL]

[LEFT][IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg[/IMG] [/LEFT]
[/quote]

Thanks!

I remember reading through some rules posters had for their kids and one stood out for me "Don't throw anything overboard." I could just imagine my son wanting to test things out so I asked him if he threw anything overboard on our last cruise and he said "Oh yeah." I never specifically told him not to and dropping things into water from a distance is hard for some kids to resist.

I heard they can get into a lot of trouble for doing this. He was lucky.

Have a great cruise!

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We are going on a cruise in about a week (my second and my wife’s first) and I can’t remember about the soft drinks. We are going to bring some with us on the ship but if she wants one at dinner is that an extra "expense" or can she bring of the ones we brought on board and just use a glass. Not trying to be cheap or break some rules or anything I'm just trying to figure out if we need to order the soda card. Thank you[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='ATLP&J'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]We are going on a cruise in about a week (my second and my wife’s first) and I can’t remember about the soft drinks. We are going to bring some with us on the ship but if she wants one at dinner is that an extra "expense" or can she bring of the ones we brought on board and just use a glass. Not trying to be cheap or break some rules or anything I'm just trying to figure out if we need to order the soda card. Thank you[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]
Sodas cost extra at dinner and anytime...like $2 or something. Iced tea and milk is free and I think there are juices you can get free too. You can bring wine, soda, water, booze or whatever from your cabin to dinner or wherever you want to. There will be glasses and an ice bucket filled with ice in your cabin and some ships have stocked mini-fridges that do have room to put your own stuff in(they will charge you for anything consumed out of the mini-fridge...some folks ask the steward to remove the stuff...we left ours in there and still fit a bottle of wine in there).

You can bring on board a bottle of wine per adult and every guest can bring on 12 non-alcoholic beverages each.

In addition to all of the great advice you have received here:
- Remember to completely turn off your phone or put it in airline mode.
- Pick up a ship/deck plan at the desk -- it is very small and can fit in your pocket; with it you won't get lost onboard
- If you are prone to motion sickness, consider getting RX for the Transderm (behind-the-ear) patch -- get one patch for every 3 days
- In Cozumel, take a cab into town -- the shopping is better and there is a wonderful restaurant where they make the best margaritas on the planet, Pancho's Backyard.
- Take advantage of first time cruisers seminar -- only 30"/an hour and very helpful advice. If you are a shopper, the recommended shopping lectures are helpful for the first time in a port.
Have a wonderful time!

[quote name='Cruise, J.D.']You don't have to eat every time you are near food. I way overdid it on my first cruise![/quote]

Yup.

I starve myself before a cruise ... then gain it back in the first day. And I never seem to learn ... lol ... I do it each cruise.

BUT ....

on the last one I overate for the first 3 days and then we went to the Steakhouse. Big mistake. Everything in the Steakhouse was soooooo good I ate it all plus some of my wife's. My stomach was literally huge and hard. Not the part that is supposed to be that way. :p

I became nauseous and felt miserable that night. The next day the sickness continued, and my wise retired RN wife said I'd eaten too much. I poo pooed her idea away but later that afternoon I decided maybe she was smarter than me and I stuck my finger down my throat. I have NEVER vomited up so much. I filled the toilet, the sink, and my wife's make-up bag. When I flushed the toilet every toilet on the ship plugged from NOT having any vacuum .... I used it all.

It did work though. I felt better immediately and was back to pigging out that night.

And the moral of this story?

Don't ever make fun of your wife's oversized make-up bag ... it may come in handy on your next cruise.

I say just go with an open mind and don't expect everything to be perfect, it won't be, but just don't stress the small things. Just savor the moments as they pass so quickly. Make wonderful Memories realax and enjoy.
A little tid bit is you can get a banna split for dessert in the MDR it is on the kids menu.
I agree with not trying to do everything or you will need a vacation to rest up from your vacation.
I have never had a problem finding a lounge chair to catch some sun.
Take some good walking shoes. And try to take clothes you can mix and match. My first cruise I took 17 pair of shoes for 7 days. I wore only 5 pairs of them. Now I try and pack lighter.
Try something you would not normally order in the MDR. I tried frog legs, Escargo (sp), and Gator fritters. I did not care for them but can at least say I tried them.
If you are prone to motion sickness try Bonnie, wrist bands, or ginger capsules. I use all three. And if you are a drinker have a Miami Vice and a Kiss on the Lips both Yummy.
Have a great time your going to love it...

[quote name='Tgrubbs']Get a couple of sets of walkie talkies, set them on the same frequency. They will pick up anywhere on the ship. Great way to find the kids and for them to find you. Can get them at walmart in electronics. Well worth the money.[/QUOTE]

In October aboard the Glory we found that walkies have a limited range- as the ships are made of a lot of metal! They would span about 3-4 decks but not if one person was at the bow and one was aft. However i agree it made seperating a bit easier! If everyone is on Lido or tanning they work excellent in the open air

Make sure you get the emergency 800 number for Carnival and the direct phone number for the ship if you have a problem they may be able to help you get on the ship before it leaves. If you really late they probably will not wait but if your a couple of minutes late they might wait if they know you are near, worked once for us when we had a medical issue at a port.

[quote name='1trip&Ifell']So we are about to cruise on our first cruise in just under 30 days!! :D We are sailing on the Elation out of N.O. What are your tips, secrets, traditions ect.? What is the one thing that you wish someone told you BEFORE you set sail?[/quote]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT!! Send yourself e-mail of all of your boarding passes and on board credits and such. DW always makes a folder to carry and puts copies in an envelope in someone elses carryon just in case. If all are lost or stolen you can print off your e-mail to yourself. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]Oh, and I wish someone had told me about the Toilet. It took me 10 minutes to figure out the lid had to be closed. When I flushed it, it scared the beejesus out of me! I thought I had sunk the ship before we made it out of port:D. If DW had not been standing at the door I would have left the cabin!:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived