Mediterreanean Sea conditions.

NYCRUISR

Greetings to all. I'm considering a 12 night Mediterranean cruise starting from Rome this June. Who can tell me what kind of ocean conditions we should expect at this time of year. I have read here and there that summer and early fall are good months to cruise the Mediterranean. Your thoughts please.

...John

We just returned from an 11 day, Rome to Istanbul and back and the seas were like glass except for one part of one day when there were a few higher swells. I notice any roughness and I was able to do fine on the trip.It was a little rough in the most forward cabins for a few hours, we always book toward the aft.

Some of the roughest seas we have experience were on our first Med cruise, the Grand Mediterranean itinerary from Barcelona to Venice onboard the Emerald in September 2007. We missed port calls in Marsielle and Mykonos due to high seas...very disappointing.

Wishing you calmer seas...

Lew

Greetings to all. I'm considering a 12 night Mediterranean cruise starting from Rome this June. Who can tell me what kind of ocean conditions we should expect at this time of year. I have read here and there that summer and early fall are good months to cruise the Mediterranean. Your thoughts please.

...John

We've sailed the Med in the summer and have experienced everything from glass calm seas to 70+ mph Mistral winds and 20-30 ft seas along the French Riviera/Spanish coast. It all depends on the weather, and there is no way to predict that more than about 7 days ahead.

The med is beautiful, our summer is just about ready to start & in my opinion June, July & August are ideal times in the med wether cruising or land based. once you hit mid September onwards & it turns to autumn the sea will get rougher & the weather cooler but that's European weather, not quite as bad as the UK's weather though :p

We sail 7th July on a B2B Rome/Barcelona/France/Spain etc so fingers crossed it will be beautiful calm seas & glorious sunshine :D

Enjoy whatever you decide :D

We cruised the Med the last two weeks in September and it was beautiful. Calm seas and lots of hot sunshine. But of course the weather is unpredictable and there's nothing to say you couldn't get storms even in summer.

Unfortunately, no one can guarantee what the cruise will be like.

You really need to provide more specifics as to your itinerary but even with that seas can change as can weather. We have sailed the Mediterranean numerous times. The odds are that the seas will be calm but you may encounter some roughness.

In general sea conditions will be a good deal calmer than other areas of the world. I always recommend though to prepare for rough seas just to be on the safe side. We try to book a cabin in the middle of the ship and we will bring with us over the counter pills such a Bonine just to be on the safe side.

Keith

We cruised the Med the last two weeks in September and it was beautiful. Calm seas and lots of hot sunshine.

Same as us - calm seas, very hot!

Obviously from reading the replies here, the sea conditions can vary considerably! Just be prepared for anything, and hope for the best. Have fun!

We just got back from a cruise from Italy to Istanbul; I think it had the calmest seas I've ever experienced. Usually we couldn't tell if the ship was sailing or not. One day had slightly more waves for a time, in the 2-3 foot range, which is almost nothing.

We were two cabins from aft, where you'd expect more movement, still felt very little. The weather was perfect every day also--70-85. I don't think I'd want to go much later in summer though, especially Ephesus.

In fact, the captain stated that it was the best cruise sea and weatherwise he'd ever had in that region!

As others have said, of course you can't guarantee weather and seas. A storm or other conditions can also come up. Good luck!

Archived