Corey Schmidt: DEAD

MrPete

Rest in peace Corey...

Would it be possible for the mod to change the name of this thread? Seems like a little insensitive? I think something like "Death of CCL Cruise Director" might be more appropriate.

Just my $.02

I completely agree. I didn't know Corey, but was taken aback by the name of the thread.

He brought out the Conquest. We sailed with him on the Conquest's first New Year's Eve cruise...December 2002.

So sad....

We sailed with him on the Conquest's first Christmas cruise December 2002. We were all sorry to hear of his passing.

I've just heard about this and I am devastated.....I worked with Corey on many occasions when he was performing his act.....as a Cruise Director, he was very highly regarded by the rest of us.

So sad......he'll be greatly missed.

Greg Kneale

Edited by gregkn

Am wondering if he was at the Busch Gardens in Williamsburg in the early 90s? I worked there summers during college (like just about every other kid that lived near there) and the name sounds really familiar. I do remember there being a great bird show at that time.

Condolences to his his family.

I'm pretty sure it was the one in Tampa...

I keep hearing rumors that CD Corey Schmidt took his own life. I find that so hard to believe and hope that it's not true.

Just curious where you heard this. I've looked all over the internet and can find nothing on his death whatsoever (except on here), not even an obituary.

He was our first CD as well on the Carnival Triumph in 2002. He was fabulous and made the cruise such a memorable experience. The bird show was great fun as well. RIP, Corey, and thank you for making us fall in love with cruising.

• 3 weeks later...
I thin I read on here that when he left Carnival, he went to Las Vegas.

goes to show you that life is too short and you should always follow your dreams and dont put it off until tomorrow

goes to show you that life is too short and you should always follow your dreams and dont put it off until tomorrow

Corey would be the first one to agree.

Since he was only 47, I think it is only human nature to jump to conclusions.

However, we need to remember that things like an aneurysm can kill instantly and without warning.

A dear friend of my husband had never been sick a day in his life and died at the age of 38 from an aneurysm.

So I say, let us remember all the wonderful things about Corey and the happiness he brought to our lives.

CHEERS

John Heald's blog today is dedicated to Corey and does mention he took his own life. How tragic...:(

Paragraph taken from the blog....

Corey left Carnival in a blaze of glory, right at the top of his game. He planned to take his brilliant bird show to Vegas but things, as often happens in show business, did not work out. Eventually, he found his way into the movie business working behind the scenes as a location manager on big productions for stars like Adam Sandler. He found God, he found a beautiful wife and when I last saw him in 2010 when he visited me on the Carnival Splendor, I thought he had found peace and happiness. But I was wrong. I have no idea why he took his own life and it is wrong for me to speculate. However, knowing Corey as I did, I wonder if he missed being center stage and part of me can’t help but think that after years in the spotlight as one of the most successful cruise directors in the industry, he saw himself as being relegated to a bit part and that became his final act.

This just makes me so sad.

We had the pleasure to have him as a CD 3 times; twice on the Imagination, and then once on the Victory when she was new and came to town.

Not only was he a great host, but had a great personality, and he really loved those birds. He came around quite often with them in the public areas, including outdoors!

My favorite memory of him, before we even knew who he was, was pulling away in Miami, sailing past my favorite classic liner, the Norway, and have us cheer and shout her down when we sailed passed her.

On a different plane, he was always so spiritual at the end of the farewell show, where he brings everyone out on the stage, from the captain, down to the brass polisher, stating how amazed how all these people from so many nations can come together each week and put out a product, all while getting along so well, that that unity can't be emulated on land as well, among all the different countries.

I've enjoyed keeping up with him on his Facebook page, through his different projects, and his numerous pictures, conversing with him a couple of times. And how sad he was when he announced his mom had passed not too long ago.

Hearing his page is back up, I will have to visit one last time, knowing it will be extremely sad.

Rest in Peace, Corey. Hope the pain you were trying to avoid has been set free.

Edited by MrPete

• 3 weeks later...

Corey was our cruise director on the inaugural sailing of the Conquest. We had our 2 young sons along and Corey was so warm and giving of his time. He left a great impression on all of us and we are all saddened by his passing. However, we are so happy to hear that he has finally found the peace that can only come from God. Our prayers are with his family and friends. Looking forward to Corey's bird show in heaven!

• 3 years later...

Sailed with 250 fellow Cruise Critics aboard the Conquest in the single largest Cruise Critic group cruise of all time, and Corey was our beloved CD. We enjoyed his one-of-a-kind bird show immensely and fell haplessly victim to his infectious laugh. Thank you for enhancing the cruise experience for hundreds of thousands of passengers just like us over the years, Corey.

With great love and gratitude,

The Conquestadors