Consent form for minors traveling with us that are not our children?

bigal3967

We are leaving in 12 days on a cruise with a minor, 15 years old, and three 18 year olds that are not our children. I know I know, what was I thinking! Anyway, I have called Carnival and of course they require the consent form for the 15 year old but they do not have one to print out on their website. I know I do not need one for the 18 year olds but I am going to get them just to be safe. SO where is the best place to get a consent form that I can have their parents fill out?

Thanks for your help!!

Big Al

You might want to read this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1635089

I do not know the rules for carnival, they could be different. I was totally surprised by this thread.

If you google consent forms for minors, there are quite a few sites that show up. Also I believe forms have to be notarized.

We are leaving in 12 days on a cruise with a minor, 15 years old, and three 18 year olds that are not our children. I know I know, what was I thinking! Anyway, I have called Carnival and of course they require the consent form for the 15 year old but they do not have one to print out on their website. I know I do not need one for the 18 year olds but I am going to get them just to be safe. SO where is the best place to get a consent form that I can have their parents fill out?

Thanks for your help!!

Big Al

Here is one I am using for our upcoming cruise - we are taking my daughters BFF -

http://seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

My grandson has been cruising with me since he was a little munchkin and I have always had his parents sign a consent form and have it notarized. Not only did the letter have proper wording allowing him to travel with me but also allows me to make decisions regarding his healthcare if there is an emergency and neither of his parents are available for consultation. It doesn't have to be wordy, keep it short and sweet.

You will see many comments from cruisers who have never been asked to show this letter of authorization but on all my Carnival and RCCL cruises with my grandson, they have always asked me for the letter.

To Whom It May Concern:

Please accept this letter as authorization for my son, ________, to travel on the Carnival ________ sailing on ______________, with my mother, _____________.

Also, I grant permission for my mother, ________________, to make all decisions in my absence, for medical treatment and any other matters on my son’s behalf that should arise during the above mentioned cruise on and/or off the ship.

I just want to confirm that the letter needs to be notarized. RCCL actually refused to allow my niece to board because my sister didn't get her letter notarized by her ex-husband. (Bad advice from the TA - she didn't think notarization was needed.) She had an original, and she was able to get her ex to fax a notarized copy of the identical letter to the cruise port, but they still wouldn't accept it. The fax copy should actually have been acceptable, but the notarization wasn't embossed (not required in my state) and the RC official who could and should have said yes, chose to say no. DS and DN had to wait for the original notarized copy to be FedExed (with no luggage - it was on the ship and RC refused to retrieve it) and then fly to our first port (San Juan, PR) and board there. :mad:

So they might not ask for the letter, but if they do, you'd better have it, and it had better be notarized.

Thanks for your help!!

Big Al

Here is Carnivals official form:

minortravelconsentforms.pdf

I have always had my ex have a consent form notarized and not once have we been asked to show it. We thought it was required in Mexico, but no one has ever asked to see it and I have remarried so we no longer have the same name. Even so we are having him get another notarized consent form signed again this year just to be safe. You can get one if you google Consent for Minor child to travel.

I just want to confirm that the letter needs to be notarized. RCCL actually refused to allow my niece to board because my sister didn't get her letter notarized by her ex-husband.

So they might not ask for the letter, but if they do, you'd better have it, and it had better be notarized.

Interesting. We've taken our grand daughter on 10 cruises on RCCL, Carnival and NCL. We've always had a notarized letter but we've never been asked for it. I guess the time we will be asked will be the time we don't bring one.

We have taken my daughter and friends many times have always had a letter and never asked until our last cruise, they took her aside and thank goodness we were prepared. Get the letter and make sure it is notorized with a embossed stamp.

I have done this several times and we are sailing in less then 3 weeks and taking my son's friend....the letter HAS TO be notarized. Sometimes they ask for it, and other times they don't...SO HAVE IT!! ALSO...another important piece to the letter is allowing permission to sign waivers for any onboard or shore excursions that may need waivers to participate!!! I always write my own letters...I also make sure that I have travel insurance, especially when I am taking another minor child with me. My husband and I usually get it, however we have gone without it already too:eek: I know that not everyone purchases it, however I would HIGHLY suggest it, especially if ur taking someone else's child. I also get a copy of their insurance card too!! Have fun and enjoy ur cruise....:)

I had this one made up by a lawyer last year...

Consent for International Travel

I, XXXXX, declare that I am the lawful Guardian of XXXXX, female, born January XX, XXXX at XXX, Illinois, HER NAME has an American passport numbered XXXXXXXXX which was issued on April XX, XXXX at XXXX, Illinois.

My child, HER NAME, has my consent to travel with MY MOMS NAME of MY MOMS FULL ADDRESS, MY MOM has an American passport numbered xxxxxxxxx which was issued on September X, XXXX at XXXX, North Dakota to travel to: Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Canada.

My child will be leaving the United States on or about June X, XXXX, and returning to the United States June XX, XXXX. In the event that my child requires emergency medical treatment and I cannot be reached, MY MOM is authorized to consent to medical treatment in my stead. Any questions regarding this document may be addressed to me at:

//signed by ME//

MY NAME, ADDRESS, AND PHONE NUMBER

NOTARIZED

Archived