Fee for Steakhouse?

barbatkins

what do you mean "tests including gratuity"...and honestly why leave a tip if the tip is included??

Some of us on here are typing using "smart phones" that sometimes auto-correct the word incorrectly.

The usual Carnival gratuity is 15%...they were deserving of the extra tip as we normally tip 20% or more at restaurants back home.

The built in tip was 15% so I would think it is still 15%.

I didn't even realize the tip was included! Every time we've done the steakhouse we've added 20% tip...now I feel silly...

Some of us on here are typing using "smart phones" that sometimes auto-correct the word incorrectly.

The usual Carnival gratuity is 15%...they were deserving of the extra tip as we normally tip 20% or more at restaurants back home.

IMHO....the steakhouse started as the fee covered the tip

and it now reads that way

I wouldn't tip a penny on the steakhouse...you are already paying for your food with your cruise fare, and paying $11.50 a day in tips and you are not eating in the dining room but your waiter gets the tip

I am starting to get sick of this "waaa waaa" poor workers...

frankly the last couple Carnival cruises I was on, the service is really lacking

NCL staff seems a lot happier , much more attentive..and deserving of tips

I do think people should be aware that the TIP IS INCLUDED IN STEAKHOUSE

AND with this price increase, I wouldn't leave a tip there unless it was above and beyond...JMO of course

We've done the steakhouse 3 times and I have to say ive Bern underwhelmed each time. Yes it is a good meal but Imo nothing out of the ordinary. For $60 plus the cost of mdr already embedded in the fare I questioned its value. In fact after our last time in it on the Valor in April my wife and I decided we weren't going to do it again. Now for $70 we're definitely out. It's not about the money its about what you get for it. Id rather go to eat at a better restaurant at home and pay more then give them the money. Actually my biggest beef with the steakhouse has actually been the service. Both times on the valor it has been terrible!

But I cruise for things other than the steakhouse and ice so I'm still happy. Probably going to leave Carnival for a while just to try other things. If the market decides $35 is too high they'll lower the price. Otherwise it behooves tthem to sell it for whet they can.

Personally id rather just pay a higher fare and be done with it so I'm going to try other lines until I get there. Just like I wish grocery stores still sold a half gallon of ice cream at a higher price instead of whatever smaller size they sell now at a half gallon price!

from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I think that $35 is pushing our personal "acceptable" level for extra cost. The meal is better than the MDR meal but, since we are already paying for "a meal" as part of the overall cost, I'm not sure it is worth $35 more for a mid-level steakhouse.

The steakhouse is not "Golden Corral' but it isn't "Ruth's Chris" either. It was a very good experience but not exceptional. It was the kind of meal we'd pay about $100 for with a bottle of wine. $70 without the wine is pushing it for two people since the wine is still on top of that (unless it is the free night). If it goes much higher, it won't be on our list of things to do.

Everyone will have to make their own decision on how far the price can go up before it becomes a bad deal.

That kinda mirrors my opinion. I actually thought $60 bucks EXTRA for two was getting pretty close to "pushing it." Especially considering we can go to Teppanyaki or Cagney's steakhouse on NCL for $25.00 pp EXTRA and the food/experience couldn't have been any better. Now SEVENTY-BUCKS EXTRA for two? It's really not worth it...seriously.

On JH's blog today he talks about the increase and also mentions that those that have reservations already would get the $30 rate.I think there was a time limit of 60 days or something and all cruises after that would be the higher new rate.

I have us booked on our cruise for the first night - it's the wine, not the steak, and will be curious what happens to our reservation - made three months ago. :(

I try to keep my cost of cruising to as close to $50.00 per day pp as possible. 35 dollars to eat dinner is almost a full day of cruising for me. I enjoy the MDR.

Could you please enlighten me as to which one of your 17 past cruises cost you close to 50 bucks a day? Since you live in Massachusetts, you needed to fly to all of your embarkation ports, with the exception of your 2 Canada cruises that you could have driven to the port. Once you factor in airfare and port charges and taxes, 50 bucks a day is nearly impossible. The only possibly exception is if you live near a Florida port and there's a pack n go special.

Could you please enlighten me as to which one of your 17 past cruises cost you close to 50 bucks a day? Since you live in Massachusetts, you needed to fly to all of your embarkation ports, with the exception of your 2 Canada cruises that you could have driven to the port. Once you factor in airfare and port charges and taxes, 50 bucks a day is nearly impossible. The only possibly exception is if you live near a Florida port and there's a pack n go special.

I believe he meant 50 a day spending money.

Just curious.......when did the fee for the Steakhouse go up to $35.00 per person? We cruise a lot but don't often do the specialty dining on Carnival.......and I was just on their website and was totally surprised to see that it now costs $35.00 pp

You do have to remember that a $35 meal in the real world costs you $43.70 with tax and tip.

DON

You do have to remember that a $35 meal in the real world costs you $43.70 with tax and tip.

DON

Earlier, in this or another thread, someone figured the cost of the MDR dinner was between 30 - 50 and if you add the steakhouse (since you are paying for but not eating the MDR meal) you are up to 65-85 per person. That is Ruth Chris level and tip is included, with the auto tip and the tip included in steakhouse.

Archived