At what age do child roam around loose on cruises?

WTMhs

Sorry, but this is not true. There are a few that have curfews and thats it and they are rarely inforced. :)

bet they will be enforced more vigorously now that there was a recent rape of a young teen who was out after curfew.

I was in bed LONG before that so I have no idea.

Kiddo will be, too.

We are not mall goers, as our local mall has more violence than our little bedroom community. Kiddo would be allowed to walk about our town, but is so afraid the police would stop him, he won't. (This phobia is from his dad being much older than a dad usually is, and since he would sit in the children's playground at parks with a bunch of moms young enough to be his daughters, and our kiddo was fairly independent, nervous moms would get the idea he was there childless and call the police. One occasion our son was taken by a police woman and questioned while hubby was questioned separately, in case kiddo was a kidnapped child. Kiddo was three. He now has a phobia getting into any situation where the police might be involved. Hubby noted the last time this happened our son, before the policeman opened his mouth, said, "You're only doing your job. You have to respond to all calls." he'd heard it so often.:rolleyes:)

Hence me trying to scope out what might be appropriate or expected. If I can honestly tell kiddo he won't be rounded up by someone in a uniform for popping back to the room to get a swim suit, I think might be willing to do it. If I tell him it is "not done", he won't.

Also, I remember those days of freedom very sweetly, the only time my folks let me off a very short leash.

:eek: I actually think the Mall is safer, you have many narrow hallways with tons of cabins of and people coming and going pretty much out of sight.

A mall there are very few places where that aren't visable to many employees, ship there are many places one can see no one.

Interesting. We let our kids walk around the ship on their own before I would let them be on their own in a shopping mall. I never considered the threat to be the same on any of the cruise ships/lines we sailed with relative to a shopping mall.

Keith

OTOH, when my kids first cruised in 2001, my oldest was only 8 and I wouldn't have dreamed of letting him or the others out of my sight!

Actually in 2001 and 2003 when my youngest was 8 and 10, we would see him periodically in passing during the day but for the most part, he went on his own discovering the ship. He went on the bridge tour on his own, found friends to hang around, and one night during the deck party, we saw him in the conga line.

And as each day passed and he learned to check in periodically and kept our trust, we seemed to let him do his thing.

I mean really, when you think about the way a ship is designed, where is he going to go.

Edited by LuckyZ

Kiddo will be, too.

We are not mall goers, as our local mall has more violence than our little bedroom community. Kiddo would be allowed to walk about our town, but is so afraid the police would stop him, he won't. (This phobia is from his dad being much older than a dad usually is, and since he would sit in the children's playground at parks with a bunch of moms young enough to be his daughters, and our kiddo was fairly independent, nervous moms would get the idea he was there childless and call the police. One occasion our son was taken by a police woman and questioned while hubby was questioned separately, in case kiddo was a kidnapped child. Kiddo was three. He now has a phobia getting into any situation where the police might be involved. Hubby noted the last time this happened our son, before the policeman opened his mouth, said, "You're only doing your job. You have to respond to all calls." he'd heard it so often.:rolleyes:)

Hence me trying to scope out what might be appropriate or expected. If I can honestly tell kiddo he won't be rounded up by someone in a uniform for popping back to the room to get a swim suit, I think might be willing to do it. If I tell him it is "not done", he won't.

Also, I remember those days of freedom very sweetly, the only time my folks let me off a very short leash.

I'm trying read between the lines a bit, but I feel you asking us not to form an opinion of what your child should/shouldn't be allowed to do...but what the "norms of society" of the ship will look askance at. Like kids loitering around convenience/liquor stores might be frowned upon and draw the interest of police. My sense is (and this is from one whole cruise, and one that didn't have a lot of kids)...your child will not be hassled. Everyone is pretty much involved doing their own thing and having fun. A kid walking around and doing harmless stuff will likely be assumed to be doing so with permission of parents. Obviously, any kid who acts up and becomes a disturbance to the general "vibe" of good times might cause some crew members to investigate...but it sounds like your child is too "uptight" (I don't mean that rudely) to push those limits.

Obviously, on shore is a WAY different story. And most ships will have a few "adults only" places, which I presume your child can read and act accordingly.

I'm trying read between the lines a bit, but I feel you asking us not to form an opinion of what your child should/shouldn't be allowed to do...but what the "norms of society" of the ship will look askance at.

Well, it is two fold. Our little area has kids walking about because a significant number of parents feel it is safe. But a few miles away, and no kids walk the streets, and all buses are met. A bit beyond that, lots of kids roam, shootings happen, kids end up in juvie and parents are dopers. So, finding out "what is done" lets me know not only what the general flavor is, but will also allow me to clue in my son about general behavior. Hubby is a great dad, but sensing social norms is my bailiwick and I'm not going to be on the cruise.

I believe they have walkie talkies and it sounds as if that is the way to go, to assure both kiddo and myself. However, we do take risks, and I would also not assume the average plotting pedophile looking for a cruise to meet kids would pick one with less than 8 booked. :) It would have to be an opportunistic pedophile.

On the odder side, the only significant crime I was exposed to as a child was on a ship, where our waiter was chopped to bits in his sleep. Amidst the general angst, an adult passenger (it was a freighter and there were only 11 non-crew members) asked me why I wasn't terrified, and I replied, with the confidence of a loved child, "My father said this was obviously a murder of revenge. Why would I be worried?"

This event was also the prompting for my favorite thing ever said to me. A rather tipsy (there was a lot of drinking after the murder) woman in her 70s shloshed up to me and said: "Kirsch cake [for my birthday] and a murder by 12 -- what's left for ya, honey." :D

thanks for everyone's input.

Edited by WTMhs

There's a big plus point for cruise ships' safety that a mall doesn't have. There's no possibility of a snatch-and-run. It may or may not make molestation less likely, but it certainly makes murder less likely. Though the odds on either are tiny anyway.

Children are physically and emotionally capable of getting around on their own by age 5. I know, because I and my three siblings all did - and it was three quarters of a mile each way to school, and home for dinner as well. So when you're talking about teenagers, the only questions are their perceived safety from the possibility of a paedophile stalking the ship, or their lack of street smarts caused by never being allowed off the apron strings.

There's a big plus point for cruise ships' safety that a mall doesn't have. There's no possibility of a snatch-and-run. It may or may not make molestation less likely, but it certainly makes murder less likely. Though the odds on either are tiny anyway.

Children are physically and emotionally capable of getting around on their own by age 5. I know, because I and my three siblings all did - and it was three quarters of a mile each way to school, and home for dinner as well. So when you're talking about teenagers, the only questions are their perceived safety from the possibility of a paedophile stalking the ship, or their lack of street smarts caused by never being allowed off the apron strings.

There are few places left in the United States where children are permitted to walk to school at the age of 5. Not sure where you live, but children under 10 (or so) are closely watched by parents, teachers and other care givers. The cases of children being abducted or harmed in this country is way too high -- most parents would not allow a child of 5 to go anywhre alone in a public place.

I'm not disagreeing that many children at the age or five are capable of getting around on their own to some extent...... just not a good idea to let them do it (JMHO)

There are few places left in the United States where children are permitted to walk to school at the age of 5. Not sure where you live, but children under 10 (or so) are closely watched by parents, teachers and other care givers. The cases of children being abducted or harmed in this country is way too high -- most parents would not allow a child of 5 to go anywhre alone in a public place.

Last time I checked, half of stranger abductions were in the 12-17 range, and 3/4 were girls. The overall rate per population has been trending downward. The national fascination with this, with 24/7 reporting and Amber Alerts have put it at the forefront, but *the actual number is low*. Estranged parents are much more likely to do the napping.

Not that I throw all caution to the wind, but I don't believe there is no negative effect from hovering over kids. Hence we seem to be always caught between indifferent parents with wild kids, and helicopter parents who are aghast we didn't stand under our child, arms upraised, every time he climbed the jungle gym. Others have been downright rude over our son's kayaking.

I'm also not finding specific laws about age/distance of kids walking to school, at least in my state. I find my state's laws on when a child can stay home alone shocking. Accidents are much more likely to kill a child than a stranger.

Last time I checked, half of stranger abductions were in the 12-17 range, and 3/4 were girls. The overall rate per population has been trending downward. The national fascination with this, with 24/7 reporting and Amber Alerts have put it at the forefront, but *the actual number is low*. Estranged parents are much more likely to do the napping.

Not that I throw all caution to the wind, but I don't believe there is no negative effect from hovering over kids. Hence we seem to be always caught between indifferent parents with wild kids, and helicopter parents who are aghast we didn't stand under our child, arms upraised, every time he climbed the jungle gym. Others have been downright rude over our son's kayaking.

I'm also not finding specific laws about age/distance of kids walking to school, at least in my state. I find my state's laws on when a child can stay home alone shocking. Accidents are much more likely to kill a child than a stranger.

It would be helpful to know what city and state you live in. While child abductions is rare in my city (Bellingham, WA), there is always a parent or two standing with groups of children in elementary school while waiting for the bus. In Seattle (only 100 miles south), parents need to be even more vigilent There are no laws on the books about this -- it is common sense.

Some cruise ships hold thousands of people. I'm certainly not suggesting that you hold your arms out while your child goes down the slide into the pool. Knowing where they are and checking up on them every hour or so (depending upon the age of the child) should not be too much to ask of a parent.

Edited by Travelcat2

It would be helpful to know what city and state you live in. While child abductions is rare in my city (Bellingham, WA), there is always a parent or two standing with groups of children in elementary school while waiting for the bus. In Seattle (only 100 miles south), parents need to be even more vigilent There are no laws on the books about this -- it is common sense.

Some cruise ships hold thousands of people. I'm certainly not suggesting that you hold your arms out while your child goes down the slide into the pool. Knowing where they are and checking up on them every hour or so (depending upon the age of the child) should not be too much to ask of a parent.

I am but 150 miles south of you, and our little burg has kids by themselves at most bus stops. I cannot find a WA law about not being able to walk to school. But, I just scanned the info, as we homeschool (in small part to expose our child to the risks that were considered normal when hubby and I were children. I'm all for seat belts and crash helmets, but kiddo takes part in riskier outdoor activities than most kids, with his outdoorsy, non-risk adverse, stay-at-home dad by his side.). I agree it is "common sense" in that it is what is commonly done, but I believe people FAR overjudge the risk because of media reporting, and may be raising a generation of people who have panic attacks if they aren't constantly on a cell phone with a protector. (Note: I am being hyperbolic.)

Checking where your child is hourly is not enough to prevent molestations and murders. I work with murderers and rapists. I'm sure you read about a recent murder at our hospital. It was silent. SIlent. If the goal is that, hourly is not enough. An hourly check would be more appropriate for making sure kiddo isn't bothering other cruisers (and I'm all for that). In the case I am foreseeing, it would be kiddo popping down to the cabin to get something and coming back, perhaps by the scenic route. I don't want to break rules nor get kiddo stopped. Nor have every mother in the area track hubby down and chew him out. Our goal is not to have a grown up without the burden of a child about, as they are best buds, but to promote independence without getting kiddo or hubby chewed out.

So, it seems that kids do walk about by themselves on cruises. That it is not against the rules, and, if I read correctly, most people are just interested in their cruise and don't register if a child is walking around.

I am but 150 miles south of you, and our little burg has kids by themselves at most bus stops. I cannot find a WA law about not being able to walk to school. But, I just scanned the info, as we homeschool (in small part to expose our child to the risks that were considered normal when hubby and I were children. I'm all for seat belts and crash helmets, but kiddo takes part in riskier outdoor activities than most kids, with his outdoorsy, non-risk adverse, stay-at-home dad by his side.). I agree it is "common sense" in that it is what is commonly done, but I believe people FAR overjudge the risk because of media reporting, and may be raising a generation of people who have panic attacks if they aren't constantly on a cell phone with a protector. (Note: I am being hyperbolic.)

Checking where your child is hourly is not enough to prevent molestations and murders. I work with murderers and rapists. I'm sure you read about a recent murder at our hospital. It was silent. SIlent. If the goal is that, hourly is not enough. An hourly check would be more appropriate for making sure kiddo isn't bothering other cruisers (and I'm all for that). In the case I am foreseeing, it would be kiddo popping down to the cabin to get something and coming back, perhaps by the scenic route. I don't want to break rules nor get kiddo stopped. Nor have every mother in the area track hubby down and chew him out. Our goal is not to have a grown up without the burden of a child about, as they are best buds, but to promote independence without getting kiddo or hubby chewed out.

So, it seems that kids do walk about by themselves on cruises. That it is not against the rules, and, if I read correctly, most people are just interested in their cruise and don't register if a child is walking around.

Howdy neighbor:) Yes -- I've read so much recently about horrible things going on down south. They have had more murders so far this year than all of last year. Very sad and concerning.

I know it isn't a law but I've noticed one or two parents at every bus stop where there are young children up here. They wait until they board the bus to leave.

It sounds like children are allowed more freedom on mainstream cruise lines. I know that there is tons more for them to do than on the smaller cruise lines that we sail on. There are few children on our cruises and they always seem to be in the company of their parents. This could also be because there are no special activities for children at all.

The world has changed since my adult daughter was young. In those days (not that long ago:-) we didn't see children on leashes (or whatever they are called) and children wern't running around freely like we are seeing now. I wonder if children are allowed to swim in the pool(s) without parental supervision? Anyway, my rants on this thread are only out of concern for the little ones. Walking around the ship with a friend/sibling, taking part in group activities is great fun for them. Just don't see how wandering around on their own is really making them happy.

Walking around the ship with a friend/sibling, taking part in group activities is great fun for them. Just don't see how wandering around on their own is really making them happy.

At this point there are only 7 kids aged 5-17 booked on the cruise. I don't think there will be group activities.

As for making them happy, I used to pretend I was a detective and I "investigated" the ship. It was gloriously fun. Learning routes, finding shortcuts, getting to know the old couple who always sat on in a certain place and would play slapjack with me, the bartender who'd pretend to be angry at me when I poked my head in the bar before it opened, etc.

Oh now I'm nostalgic, and how I wish I didn't get so seasick. I can't cross the Sound without wishing I hadn't gotten on board.

I'm not disagreeing that many children at the age or five are capable of getting around on their own to some extent...... just not a good idea to let them do it (JMHO)

This was in 1970. Mind you, the murder rate of children by strangers was probably higher then than now in the UK, simply because of a pair called the Moors Murderers who killed 5 children in the 1960's. The number of children killed by strangers is tiny - not nil, not something you can ignore, but it's tiny.

At this point there are only 7 kids aged 5-17 booked on the cruise. I don't think there will be group activities.

As for making them happy, I used to pretend I was a detective and I "investigated" the ship. It was gloriously fun. Learning routes, finding shortcuts, getting to know the old couple who always sat on in a certain place and would play slapjack with me, the bartender who'd pretend to be angry at me when I poked my head in the bar before it opened, etc.

Oh now I'm nostalgic, and how I wish I didn't get so seasick. I can't cross the Sound without wishing I hadn't gotten on board.

Sounds like a marvelous game:D

Just a quick request from someone who does not travel with children, but who has been impacted by them when they form "groups."

Please get to know who your child makes friends with, and observe some of their behavior when the group of kids is together. Your child may be nice and well mannered when they are with you, but their behavior may well be influenced by other kids, to the detriment of other people who are on the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I read a list of suggestions on letting kids run around on their own here on CC this spring, but couldn't find it now to copy.

One of the ground rules it suggested was to stay off floors with cabins. Don't give anyone your cabin number (that person might give it to the wrong person). Different rules apply at night than during the day.

In May, on our cruise, I was walking down the hall away from the lido buffet. A little boy about 6 came skipping past me, dodging in & out of people with an ice cream cone. His foot came up & caught mine, knocking me down. He kept right on going. Innocent enough, I'm sure he just went for ice cream, but maybe he should've been walking....just like inside any other place with other people. For some of us, unaccompanied children can be annoying.

In May, on our cruise, I was walking down the hall away from the lido buffet. A little boy about 6 came skipping past me, dodging in & out of people with an ice cream cone. His foot came up & caught mine, knocking me down. He kept right on going. Innocent enough, I'm sure he just went for ice cream, but maybe he should've been walking....just like inside any other place with other people. For some of us, unaccompanied children can be annoying.

A very good reason why children should be supervised. If I had done that as a child, I would have been disciplined, and made to apologize. I would also have not been allowed to be dodging in and out of people.

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to decide based on the maturity level of your child, how he or she will be able to handle the responsibility for him/herself when not in your presence, set guidelines on where they can go and when, keeping in touch, and go from there.

We only saw two instances of younger, unattended children causing problems on our last cruise: a group of young boys (about 6,7,8 yo, were running up and down the stairways playing very loudly), and one time got on an elevator with two young girls (about 9 or 10 yo) who were simply pushing every single button for every single floor every time the door opened and closed. They pushed the close button one time while people were trying to get on and a lady was caught in the door. I told them they needed to stop pushing all the buttons and doing that before they really hurt someone. Their reply was that they had been doing it all day - I told them didn't matter, it needed to stop. Next floor they got off and probably just moved to another elevator.

You will have to decide based on the maturity level of your child, how he or she will be able to handle the responsibility for him/herself when not in your presence

Imo, it has nothing to do with maturitiy level at all. No child that young should be wandering around on his own. And, obviously even adults need to be aware of their surroundings.

If only the cruise ships had adult only cruises.

The discussion needn't be about the child, but the needs of adults on the cruise.

I don't appreciate other people's children. I don't want to hear them screaming and yelling, I don't want to see them congragating. and I don't want to suffer from their poor hygene.

There are plenty of cruises for families with children, but if there are few children on a cruise then that is not a cruise for children. Keep your child with you or under the supervision of someone you trust. Don't trust me to be mindful of your youngster.

I recently vacationed at a hotel with a pool. Every time I sat by the pool, some mother would drop her kid off, expecting me to watch for the kid not to drown while she went off to do other things. So much for relaxing by the pool.

I took care of children for many years. I made it a point to never be alone with someone else's child. Always have the door open, always have witnesses.

Vegas had been ruined with all the children running around, and the casinos catering to them. I choose HAL because I hoped not to be overun by kids.

There is a time and place for children to rum amok. There are entire amusement parks built for children, I pay taxes so they can have parks and activities when they're not in school. My vacation is not for children.

Keep your children close until they behave as adults.