Caribbean Princess adventure??

oceanprinceguy

I know we're biased but can't understand why they're skipping Liverpool, after all it was the only English port on the trip, so now not really a British Isles cruise is it?

Reading the feedback from the the 26 May - 7 June, Liverpool seemed to be the highlight port for some people, the tender problem with Guernsey was a big negative, so to go somewhere where there is a strong possibility of not getting off the ship seems to be madness - in my opinion. Why not go straight to Cork and keep to the itinerary, now everyone is incurring costs (phone calls, internet access etc) trying to re-arrange their tours. Sometimes it seems things don't get looked into properly, but then again some people are being well paid to make these decisions:eek:

I know we're biased but can't understand why they're skipping Liverpool, after all it was the only English port on the trip, so now not really a British Isles cruise is it?

Reading the feedback from the the 26 May - 7 June, Liverpool seemed to be the highlight port for some people, the tender problem with Guernsey was a big negative, so to go somewhere where there is a strong possibility of not getting off the ship seems to be madness - in my opinion. Why not go straight to Cork and keep to the itinerary, now everyone is incurring costs (phone calls, internet access etc) trying to re-arrange their tours. Sometimes it seems things don't get looked into properly, but then again some people are being well paid to make these decisions:eek:

I totally agree, the logical thing would be to go straight to Cork. We had to miss Guernsey in May due to rough(ish) seas. It's only little more than half a day anyway and by the time you tender in and back again it is just not worth it. We didn't go to Liverpool this time, we went to the Orkneys instead, but went to Liverpool on a British Isles cruise 4 years ago and loved it.

It appears about 99% of the passengers would agree and given the doubt that we will actually set foot on Guersney there will be even more unhappiness. I will say though that the seas have calmed down a lot in the last several hours. I think the problem with going to Cork was that it would be about lunch time when we got there. At this point we are just going to make the best of it and not let it ruin our trip. There are still many lovely ports for us to visit.

We made it to Guernsey, and the weather is fine. So disappointed about Liverpool, however. That was one of the reasons I loved this itinerary.

Pleased to see that you have reached Guernsey and looking at the webcam you have certainly got good weather which is another bonus. Agree, you do have to make the most of it and enjoy the rest of the cruise and yes, you are seeing some lovely ports - so it's time to relax and enjoy the next 10 days:D

Pleased to see that you have reached Guernsey and looking at the webcam you have certainly got good weather which is another bonus. Agree, you do have to make the most of it and enjoy the rest of the cruise and yes, you are seeing some lovely ports - so it's time to relax and enjoy the next 10 days:D

Yes I think most were surprised we made Guernsey and the weather was sunny, first time since Tuesday we have seen the sun. Looking forward to all remaining ports!

we went to sark, and that was fine too. leaving late, but no surprise there due to number of passengers on this monster ship (we like the little ones). yes, intermediate ports pushed forward a day, skipping liverpool. i'd rather skip ireland port (any of them) but they didn't ask me. was on tour with the tour manager and he explained couldn't have gotten to cobh overnite so guernsey was only thing that made sense, otherwise would have missed two ports.

anyway, all is well now, and it was only bilge pumps, not left engine again.

no problems at all on tender or ferry, though one lady barfed on ferry. wasn't prepared.

we went to sark, and that was fine too. leaving late, but no surprise there due to number of passengers on this monster ship (we like the little ones). yes, intermediate ports pushed forward a day, skipping liverpool. i'd rather skip ireland port (any of them) but they didn't ask me. was on tour with the tour manager and he explained couldn't have gotten to cobh overnite so guernsey was only thing that made sense, otherwise would have missed two ports.

anyway, all is well now, and it was only bilge pumps, not left engine again.

no problems at all on tender or ferry, though one lady barfed on ferry. wasn't prepared.

Our cruise is four weeks from tomorrow and I can't understand why Princess can't maintain this ship in a better condition. I'd hate to miss Liverpool. We have a Beatles day planned with a Pool of Life tour and that's one of the ones that I'm really looking forward to.

Our cruise is four weeks from tomorrow and I can't understand why Princess can't maintain this ship in a better condition. I'd hate to miss Liverpool. We have a Beatles day planned with a Pool of Life tour and that's one of the ones that I'm really looking forward to.
What isn't being maintained? The issue is weather and all cruise lines with ships in the area have been affected and had to change itineraries. Ports are never guaranteed so if something is of major importance to you, a land trip is the best option.

What isn't being maintained? The issue is weather and all cruise lines with ships in the area have been affected and had to change itineraries. Ports are never guaranteed so if something is of major importance to you, a land trip is the best option.

Maybe you should try reading the posts before encouraging me to take land vacations. I'll continue to take both land vacations and cruises. I'll just be a bit more selective in choosing ships that don't seem to have as many problems as this one does. If Princess is giving everyone approximately $115 for the missed port (Liverpool), at least they are stepping up and ownding it and not giving the cheerleader response of "we are not responsible for missing ports, and if you don't like it, pound sand on your next land vacation."

People seem to have not read what I originally said. They said it was a technical problem, which does NOT mean a weather problem. We were just told it is a problem with bilge pumping system and should be resolved later today. We will be informed later today of our revised itinerary and what "compensation you will receive for your inconvenience". All of this after continued conversations with Santa Clarita. And it may well be the ship that was turned away was because we're still sitting at the Cruise Terminal immobile.

Sounds like this thread may have assumed ship related problems were the cause versus the well documented weather conditions in the channel. We were on the prior cruise (May 26 - June 7) and had absolutely no issues with the condition or reliability of the ship. We do consider ourselves very fortunate to have had some very good (and unseasonable) weather for most of the cruise, probably the best weather I can remember for this area. Hopefully you and others on board can work past the setback and enjoy the rest of the cruise.:)

Sounds like this thread may have assumed ship related problems were the cause versus the well documented weather conditions in the channel. We were on the prior cruise (May 26 - June 7) and had absolutely no issues with the condition or reliability of the ship. We do consider ourselves very fortunate to have had some very good (and unseasonable) weather for most of the cruise, probably the best weather I can remember for this area. Hopefully you and others on board can work past the setback and enjoy the rest of the cruise.:)

If the problems were well documented and related to weather conditions, why is Princess telling the passengers about a problem with the bilge pumping system? Does that make any sense to you? :confused:

If the problems were well documented and related to weather conditions, why is Princess telling the passengers about a problem with the bilge pumping system? Does that make any sense to you? :confused:

I am saying that the weather problem is well documented, given the fact that ferry service was post-poned and other ships arrival times were pushed back as a direct impact of weather. If the ship has a bilge issue, and it was resolved, the weather advisory would likely still keep it from sailing. That does make sense!

I am saying that the weather problem is well documented, given the fact that ferry service was post-poned and other ships arrival times were pushed back as a direct impact of weather. If the ship has a bilge issue, and it was resolved, the weather advisory would likely still keep it from sailing. That does make sense!

The MSC ship left long before the Princess ship left. Doubt it's weather related. But you know better. :confused:

What were your hours in Guernsey?

it was a half day, arrived early morning, and going from memory it was 8 to 130. We didn't depart til much later with such a large group on a large ship and tenders. They even used one local ferry to supplement the tenders. We weren't on Guernsey long as we took the ferry to Sark, which was delightful.

Well, instead of departing Southampton at 5pm yesterday, we're still in harbor with unspecified problems. Knowing the history of this ship in March 2012, I'm not optimistic. Always something. Just finished 78 days on Ocean Princess with no problems except a typhoon that kept us from going to Vietnam.

Hi we checked with Princess Cruises for you and were told the Caribbean Princess "experienced a technical problem" while in Southampton. Each passenger on the ship was offered a $75 onboard credit in compensation.

Archived