Caribbean Princess adventure??

oceanprinceguy

Well, instead of departing Southampton at 5pm yesterday, we're still in harbor with unspecified problems. Knowing the history of this ship in March 2012, I'm not optimistic. Always something. Just finished 78 days on Ocean Princess with no problems except a typhoon that kept us from going to Vietnam.

Well, instead of departing Southampton at 5pm yesterday, we're still in harbor with unspecified problems. Knowing the history of this ship in March 2012, I'm not optimistic. Always something. Just finished 78 days on Ocean Princess with no problems except a typhoon that kept us from going to Vietnam.

The only reason I could think of is the bad weather in the channel. I have listened to the vhf radio for a while, but there is nothing on there. I hope they actually start giving you information. What is the atmosphere like on board.

Given that the south and west of England and Wales are being battered by severe gales at this point, leaving a day late may be the lesser of two evils. It's supposed to gradually quieten down later today, so hope you can get going then.

The captain only says, "Will keep you updated.". He said the same thing yesterday when the problem first developed (at 4pm) and he did not make another announcement until 8 AM this morning. The message today? Same as yesterday " Will keep you updated.". If you leave the ship you will not be allowed back on board.

There is a few weird things going on at the moment near Southampton. MSC Opera was due in this morning, but came halfway up the Solent, then has now turned around and is off back into the channel. What they are doing I don't know, but they have a turnaround to do today.

Well, I'm still betting on mechanical problems. We came up the channel in similar weather last week on the Ocean Princess. If it were weather they'd say so. That is an obvious and acceptable answer. Looks like won't make scheduled port in Ireland on time tomorrow, even if leave right now. Just too far. I'm betting on guys in Santa Clarita pulling all nighters trying to sort out what to do on this mess and whether and when to pull plug on whole thing. Of course I'd like to be wrong.

According to Port of Southampton website Caribbean Princess is due to sail at 11.59......... let's hope this is true so you can all enjoy your cruise... I live in Poole just down the coast, and the wind is very very strong

Here we go:

''Due to high winds, Caribbean Princess is currently unable to leave Southampton and the MSC Opera is unable to dock. Updates to follow.''

I wonder what MSC Opera is going to do. They are currently out in the channel going at 8kts, and I can't imagine the stabilizers will be very effective at such a low speed, so it must be quite bumpy. Well at least they get a bit of extra cruise time! Pretty bad though for those passengers who got to the terminal to find no ship.

Here we go:

''Due to high winds, Caribbean Princess is currently unable to leave Southampton and the MSC Opera is unable to dock. Updates to follow.''

I wonder what MSC Opera is going to do. They are currently out in the channel going at 8kts, and I can't imagine the stabilizers will be very effective at such a low speed, so it must be quite bumpy. Well at least they get a bit of extra cruise time! Pretty bad though for those passengers who got to the terminal to find no ship.

Im guessing its all due to wind strength and direction rather than sea stae. The Grand class do have a large windage but im suprised Opera can't get in.

People seem to have not read what I originally said. They said it was a technical problem, which does NOT mean a weather problem. We were just told it is a problem with bilge pumping system and should be resolved later today. We will be informed later today of our revised itinerary and what "compensation you will receive for your inconvenience". All of this after continued conversations with Santa Clarita. And it may well be the ship that was turned away was because we're still sitting at the Cruise Terminal immobile.

People seem to have not read what I originally said. They said it was a technical problem, which does NOT mean a weather problem. We were just told it is a problem with bilge pumping system and should be resolved later today. We will be informed later today of our revised itinerary and what "compensation you will receive for your inconvenience". All of this after continued conversations with Santa Clarita. And it may well be the ship that was turned away was because we're still sitting at the Cruise Terminal immobile.

MSC Opera is coming in now, she is at the City Cruise Terminal anyway, not the Ocean Terminal where CB is now. Hopefully they can get the issue sorted and you can get on with your cruise.

Southampton has 4 full time cruise terminals so that isnt the issue. The only reason we suspect it is the wind is that the cruise southampton website is stating just that.

Caribbean Princess is on her way down Southampton Water,

Good news for all on board:)

Well yes and no. We are going to Guersney instead of just skipping a port that will probably be too rough to tender into. That means all future ports will be one day late so all our tickets and shore excursions now are either null and void and we lose the cost/deposits worst case or maybe some tour operators will either refund money or be able to rearrange our tours.

Now this is wear it gets good. A group of eight of us happened to run together in front of the main desk. We were all looking for new itinerary so we knew what to tell our tour groups. Then we were approached by the Customer Relations Manager and told that it sounded like we were close to being accused of mutiny :eek:. Are you kidding me :eek::eek::eek::eek:. Yes we're we're expressing our unhappiness but really a mutiny. Too funny.

Well yes and no. We are going to Guersney instead of just skipping a port that will probably be too rough to tender into. That means all future ports will be one day late so all our tickets and shore excursions now are either null and void and we lose the cost/deposits worst case or maybe some tour operators will either refund money or be able to rearrange our tours.

Webcam says you are bound for Cork :confused::confused::confused: which means you are missing Guernsey and should get more or less back on schedule.

They are missing Liverpool and been given £75 obc for the trouble. I cannot believe they will be able to tender in Guernsey. Even after the winds have died down the swell will still be high.

We were on the British Isles cruise 14-26th May and had to miss Guernsey because it was too rough, and the wind and rough seas were nowhere near as bad as now!

We were on the British Isles cruise 14-26th May and had to miss Guernsey because it was too rough, and the wind and rough seas were nowhere near as bad as now!

Seems an odd decision to go there in the current conditions. There really will be a mutiny if the cant tender!

Archived