Open balcony dividers?

satchiesmom

Does anyone know if you can open or remove the divider on the balconies between staterooms? We will be on the Jewel and are traveling with good friends who have the cabin next door.

It used to be no problem, but now there are restrictions around when you can or can't open them. I think some new policies due to fire risk or something. You can ask your steward, and if you get lucky maybe they'll open it for you. However, based on recent reports, expect the answer to be no.

Thanks SDMike. It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to share one large balcony. It seems to depend on the cruise line. We had no problem with Celebrity (although the divider wasn't removed, they did open a door between balconies), on HAL the answer was no.

Susan

I think that the issue is related to safety problems underway. In port, most stewards will open them for you. Many here have opened them themselves with something as simple as the back of a spoon

Does anyone know if you can open or remove the divider on the balconies between staterooms? We will be on the Jewel and are traveling with good friends who have the cabin next door.

Thank you for asking this... we are traveling in 2 rooms on the Pearl (I could not get adjoining), daughter and grandson in one room us the the other, and don't want grandson (5) going back and forth alone in the hallway...so we too were wondering the same thing could that barrier be removed so he could use the balcony for gramma access!!

Thank you for asking this... we are traveling in 2 rooms on the Pearl (I could not get adjoining), daughter and grandson in one room us the the other, and don't want grandson (5) going back and forth alone in the hallway...so we too were wondering the same thing could that barrier be removed so he could use the balcony for gramma access!!

I'm not so sure that i would be comfortable with a 5 year old being on the balcony alone. Also, if the partition is opened, there is no hardware to keep if from swinging as the ship rocks....could make a big "owie" if it slammed shut on your child.

We had 4 balcony cabins on the Jewel to the Southern Caribbean and our steward opened the dividers - one delightfully large balcony!

Have fun on your cruise!

Yes. The aren't removed, but the dividers will be unlocked so you can go back and forth or prop them open.

We are 3 sisters travelling on the Epic and all have balcony rooms side by side. Does anyone out there no if the Epic has dividers that can be removed? We are in rooms 10116 / 10124 / 10120.....

I just got off the Star on Sunday and asked to have the partition opened between my sisters balcony and mine and we were told that they no longer can open them due to safety reasons. It may depend on what ship.

• 1 month later...

We have 3 aft facing balconies on the Epic for our feb 2nd 2013 cruise and I will be very disapointed if we can't open them. I have to say some of most enjoyable time is in the morning on our adjoining balconies having coffee and talking. I wonder if other cruise lines are following suite if not I would believe that they could lose some business with this change. There was a mention of saftey issue does anybody know what those are?

Jeff

I'm always glad when this question comes up because we too will have 3 side by side minis on an upcoming cruise on the Jewel, and of course we're hoping that we can go between our rooms via the balconies.

My fingers are crossed that it can still be done. It will be mentioned in my review when we return.

Only one month from today we embark! :D

There was a mention of saftey issue does anybody know what those are?

Jeff

The safety concerns have to with one of those doors/partitions slamming closed on a body part. That is why some have said it is sometimes allowed while in port and not while at sea.

John

Edited by Beaver1975

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTV1CdDJ7gXyDnYH_q19V8UK4r55ofdGj1B4DUvqdaxGV7kFU-21gif you use one of these and some common sense, like only open the divider when you and your neighbor are on the balcony, you can even place one of the chair/loungers if front of open divider to prevent it from closing on someone or some random body part. you will be just fine. :p:D

Yep, that's what I would do, circumvent the cruise lines safety rules! And since the stewards are responsible for what happens, I'm sure they won't get in any trouble for them being open. Why not just follow the safety rules and have them opened in port? They do make connecting cabins for folks that just have to be attached to their neighbors.

Once again, on the Epic in June, they would NOT open the balcony partition. I even asked a manager. She said they would not do this for "safety reasons". Also, as I said before, we had a multi-tool with every type of screw driver and wrench. The lock would not unlock. So you might be disappointed if you are counting on those partitions being open.

Once again, on the Epic in June, they would NOT open the balcony partition. I even asked a manager. She said they would not do this for "safety reasons". Also, as I said before, we had a multi-tool with every type of screw driver and wrench. The lock would not unlock. So you might be disappointed if you are counting on those partitions being open.

I wonder if the Breakaway will even have openable dividers given the current change in policy? :confused: