Chef's table

paddy Anne

This is my first time with celebrity and I am wondering if they do a chefs table like Princess and NCL? If so can you book it ahead of time or wait till you are on the ship?

thanks,

Paddy Anne

Hi,:) I was on Equinox last month and they offered something like it

but it was during lunch. I was attending the brunch with many of my

roll call mates so could not attend. But I was at food demo when they

were talking about the different events on board and this was one

of them. I believe they had a max amount of 12 and it was held in

the galley of Murano and you also received Celebrity's cookbook

(which looked like it weighed about 10 pounds:eek:).....

I don't know if it is offered every cruise so you would need to wait

until after you board the ship to see if on the schedule.

I have been told that they will offer the Chef's Table on any cruise provided there is the demand. Because they can only accommodate a limited number of people, it is not widely advertised and, if you are interested, I suggest that you mention this to the Maitre d' of the MDR or one of the Speciality Restaurants at the earliest opportunity. It may also be advisable to encourage those on your Roll Call to do the same to ensure that it has the necessary demand.

We did the Chef's Table on Infinity [our last cruise] and it was a very special evening with a number of surprises. It was well worth it. On our previous cruise on Constellation, there was a different event - Lunch with the Executive Chef and, if you have the opportunity to attend this, I can also recommend it highly. Both events may, initially, sound expensive, but IMHO are very much worth it. What I cannot recommend are the Wine Dinners especially if you eat at all regularily in the Speciality Restaurants.

Sue

Hi Sue:) I attended the Wine Dinner on Equinox and thought it was

really good:D but then again, I don't do Specialty every night so it

made for a very fun evening:) and I do recommend it;)

We have done a Chef's Table on Royal's Oasis of the Seas.

It was great ! And yes it was a little pricey but in our opinion - well worth the experience.

Royal has now put a Chef's Table on many of their ships and have made it part of an on-board dinner package for purchase.

To me they just can't leave well enough alone - oh well, we are talking about Royal Caribbean! LOL

g

Does anyone know how much the charge is to attend a chefs table?

It was 99.00 per person or 140.00 or 150.00 per couple. I remember

they were talking about it at the Food Demo I attended. I can't

remember the exact amount...I go solo so I remember the 99.00 part.

I am pretty sure it was 1 of the 2 figures I mentioned per couple though.

The hubby and I participated in a chef's table in the galley on the Infinity in April. It was not well advertised, and we were told about it by the a specialty restaurant maitre 'd. We dine in the specialty restaurants and knew this particular maitre 'd from prior cruises.

The dinner was hosted by the food and beverage manager, and the meal was prepared by the executive chef. Wines paired with each course were included. It was held in the galley during the evening meal, so it was fascinating to watch and hear (it was loud) a working galley. It was a very different experience from a galley tour. A copy of the Celebrity cookbook was included in the price. I would have to check our invoice from the cruise for the exact price, but my recollection is that the price was between $275 and $300 per couple. I remember thinking when we were making the reservation for this dinner that it was essentially the price of the Savor specialty dinning package. In any event, we would definitely do it again.

The hubby and I participated in a chef's table in the galley on the Infinity in April. It was not well advertised, and we were told about it by the a specialty restaurant maitre 'd. We dine in the specialty restaurants and knew this particular maitre 'd from prior cruises.

The dinner was hosted by the food and beverage manager, and the meal was prepared by the executive chef. Wines paired with each course were included. It was held in the galley during the evening meal, so it was fascinating to watch and hear (it was loud) a working galley. It was a very different experience from a galley tour. A copy of the Celebrity cookbook was included in the price. I would have to check our invoice from the cruise for the exact price, but my recollection is that the price was between $275 and $300 per couple. I remember thinking when we were making the reservation for this dinner that it was essentially the price of the Savor specialty dinning package. In any event, we would definitely do it again.

Thanks for the explanation:) I wonder if it was less money on my

recent cruise due to it being a lunch event?

Thanks for the explanation:) I wonder if it was less money on my

recent cruise due to it being a lunch event?

Lois: Just because I remember the price being between $275 and $300 per couple doesn't mean I am correct! I am over 50 and quite frankly I am having over 50 moments with increasing frequency. But I do remember thinking that the price was close to the price of the Savor package. Since we were on the Infinity on back-to-back cruises and were also dining in Blu, which was a new set of menus for us, we opted for the chef's table in the galley for the first cruise, and then bought a specialty dining package for the second leg.

Lois: Just because I remember the price being between $275 and $300 per couple doesn't mean I am correct! I am over 50 and quite frankly I am having over 50 moments with increasing frequency. But I do remember thinking that the price was close to the price of the Savor package. Since we were on the Infinity on back-to-back cruises and were also dining in Blu, which was a new set of menus for us, we opted for the chef's table in the galley for the first cruise, and then bought a specialty dining package for the second leg.

Oh...we are both over 50;)...no problems there:p.....if the OP

is interested in this lunch and/or dinner they will have to ask about

after they board the ship:D

We did a Chef's Table on Infinity in April. It was limited to 4 couples (only 3 were there) and cost $279 per couple. I had heard about it on these boards so I knew to ask the Matre d'.

It was pricey, but well worth the experience at least once.

I just checked our invoice from the April 10th sailing on the Infinity. Americandream is correct. The chef's table in the galley was $279.00 per couple.

We were also on the April 25th sailing and happened to be dining in the SS United States the evening the dinner was held on that particular sailing. So I have a quick question for Americandream -- did we dine with you on April 19th, or did you do the dinner on the April 25th sailing?

Hi Sue:) I attended the Wine Dinner on Equinox and thought it was

really good:D but then again, I don't do Specialty every night so it

made for a very fun evening:) and I do recommend it;)

Lois

We have attended one excellent Wine Dinner so know that they can be good when organised properly but recently have found that they basically use items almost identical to those on the normal menu, use small tables rather than one or two large, hosted tables and provide little information about the wine. In view of this, we would recommend the normal wine pairing menu which is better [food not produced on mass, cheaper and more personal attention from the Sommellier].

I am glad that you attended a successful Dinner. We would love them all to be like that as, eating mainly in the Speciality Restaurants now, we really miss the opportunity to meet others on board over a pleasant meal. Unfortunately, having had two very disappointing Wine Dinners, we are reluctant to take the responsibility of recommending them to others who may end up being disappointed.

Sue

I think there might be some confusion between a cooking class and the chef's table. I have not been to what I believe is a chef's table at dinner, but I attended a cooking class on the Century that was held in Murano at lunch. The chef gave cooking instructions and we prepared our own two course meal. The head Murano chef then prepared their specialty dessert. It was $149 per person and included the food, wine by the glass to go with lunch, and the book. The chef did sit at the table while we had lunch, but he didn't eat which he claimed was because he eats at other times during the day as part of his duties to try everything that goes out of the kitchen. I guess I understand, but it seemed a bit rude. I'm guessing the chef's table at dinner is a bit different, but I can't say for sure. I will recommend the cooking class, but book early if you are on the Century. It is limited to 10 people because the kitchen is very small. Also, wear sensible shoes and something that you can sweat in because it gets hot in the kitchen. Hope this helps!

I have done the chefs table on Princess and will be doing it on NCL in NOv. On Princess is what it was. It was 75.00 per person. Limited to 12 people and I believe they did it 2-3 times during the week. It was 9 course dinner starting off with a tour of the Galley and then heading to the dinning room where you were separated from other guests and had staff, a lot, dedicated to your table. At the end you also got a cookbook. Wine was included throughout the meal.

For 75.00 per person it was amazing. Would I do it for 150.00. Probably not.

So what I have described above I was wondering if they have on Celebrity.

cheers

I have done the chefs table on Princess and will be doing it on NCL in NOv. On Princess is what it was. It was 75.00 per person. Limited to 12 people and I believe they did it 2-3 times during the week. It was 9 course dinner starting off with a tour of the Galley and then heading to the dinning room where you were separated from other guests and had staff, a lot, dedicated to your table. At the end you also got a cookbook. Wine was included throughout the meal.

For 75.00 per person it was amazing. Would I do it for 150.00. Probably not.

So what I have described above I was wondering if they have on Celebrity.

cheers

No the Chef's Table on Celebrity is nothing like you describe on Princess. It is much nicer and as has been decribed by Northern Aurora in an earlier post. It is also NOT like the cooking class described.

Sue

No the Chef's Table on Celebrity is nothing like you describe on Princess. It is much nicer and as has been decribed by Northern Aurora in an earlier post. It is also NOT like the cooking class described.

Sue

Well other than we only had maybe 3 wines that we could have as much as you like I am not sure Celebrity is "much nicer". Our dishes on Princess were superb, something like you would see on Iron Chef. Truly spectacular.

So I guess Celebrity is similar except for the large price difference.

Thanks for the info.

Well other than we only had maybe 3 wines that we could have as much as you like I am not sure Celebrity is "much nicer". Our dishes on Princess were superb, something like you would see on Iron Chef. Truly spectacular.

So I guess Celebrity is similar except for the large price difference.

Thanks for the info.

No, I do not think you have understood. On Celebrity, it is not an event repeated a number of times during a cruise. It takes place once only and is, therefore, treated as a very special ocassion. It does not take place in the dining room and there are no other diners present. On Celebrity, you are not served by the normal waiting staff, the table is hosted and there are likely to be fewer than 12 guests in total. The Princess meal may be very nice but the events are in no way "similar".

Sorry, but we do not have "Iron Chef" in the UK and I cannot make a comparison with that.

Sue

No, I do not think you have understood. On Celebrity, it is not an event repeated a number of times during a cruise. It takes place once only and is, therefore, treated as a very special ocassion. It does not take place in the dining room and there are no other diners present. On Celebrity, you are not served by the normal waiting staff, the table is hosted and there are likely to be fewer than 12 guests in total. The Princess meal may be very nice but the events are in no way "similar".

Sorry, but we do not have "Iron Chef" in the UK and I cannot make a comparison with that.

Sue

I read Northern Aurora's earlier post, and Celebrity's Chef's Table sounds equivalent/comparable to Princess'.

Have you been to the Chef's Table on Princess? It doesn't look like you've done a Princess cruise. If you haven't, how can you describe them a being totally different/in no way similar? I've done the Princess Chef's Table multiple times, and all the things you listed as being different about Celebrity apply to Princess--it has taken place only once on all the cruises we have done, there is no sense of it taking place in the dining room, you are not served by the normal wait staff (you are served by the head chef, the maitre'd, and a dedicated serving staff), I would consider the fact that the head chef and the maitre'd are dedicated to you for the entire dinner to qualify as hosting, and I have never been to one that had more than 10-11 people. All the people that I've dined with at these dinners has considered it a special occasion.

If Celebrity's pricing were comparable to Princess (now at $95/person), I would jump at the Chef's Table for our upcoming Solstice Mediterranean cruise. At about $150 each (for 4 of us), I just don't see it being worth it. I'll probably just wait until my next Princess cruise, and do their Chef's Table again.

I read Northern Aurora's earlier post, and Celebrity's Chef's Table sounds equivalent/comparable to Princess'.

Have you been to the Chef's Table on Princess? It doesn't look like you've done a Princess cruise. If you haven't, how can you describe them a being totally different/in no way similar? I've done the Princess Chef's Table multiple times, and all the things you listed as being different about Celebrity apply to Princess--it has taken place only once on all the cruises we have done, there is no sense of it taking place in the dining room, you are not served by the normal wait staff (you are served by the head chef, the maitre'd, and a dedicated serving staff), I would consider the fact that the head chef and the maitre'd are dedicated to you for the entire dinner to qualify as hosting, and I have never been to one that had more than 10-11 people. All the people that I've dined with at these dinners has considered it a special occasion.

If Celebrity's pricing were comparable to Princess (now at $95/person), I would jump at the Chef's Table for our upcoming Solstice Mediterranean cruise. At about $150 each (for 4 of us), I just don't see it being worth it. I'll probably just wait until my next Princess cruise, and do their Chef's Table again.

I was making the comparison with paddy Anne's description. As you say, I have never sailed with Princess. In my posts, I only ever wish for people who may read them, perhaps many months later, not to get an incorrect impression. To me, there was little comparison between what paddy Anne described and what we and Northern Aurora experienced.

paddy Anne said: Limited to 12 people and I believe they did it 2-3 times during the week. It was 9 course dinner starting off with a tour of the Galley and then heading to the dinning room where you were separated from other guests and had staff, a lot, dedicated to your table. At the end you also got a cookbook. Wine was included throughout the meal.

I said: On Celebrity, it is not an event repeated a number of times during a cruise. It takes place once only and is, therefore, treated as a very special occasion. It does not take place in the dining room and there are no other diners present. On Celebrity, you are not served by the normal waiting staff, the table is hosted and there are likely to be fewer than 12 guests in total.

Sue

We have done the Chef's Table on RCL's Oasis, Celebrity Constellation, and Princess. JMO the Princess Chef's Table was the best culinary experience, then second to that would be Oasis, and lastly would be Celebrity's. The only outstanding thing about Celebrity's would be that you are served while seated in the Kitchen. On Princess, the dinner starts out with an assortment of appetizers and champagne in the kitchen and then progresses to a special set off area in the main dining room with extraordinary service. On Oasis, the dinner is presented on the second floor of the Concierge lounge. All three dinners were hosted by the Executive Chef.

Archived