Not a chair hog but...

I consider them inconsiderate and maybe rude but not hogs. If they go back to the chair every 30 minutes they're operating within the rules so what can you do? I go back to the fact that USE is a broadly defined word. What you and I think of as USING a chair can differ greatly from someone else's definition. I really only care about hogging when people aren't even on the pool deck and have stuff on chairs so that they have somewhere to sit once they decide to roll out of bed.

I define "using" as having thier behind planted in the chair at a regular interval (meaning at least once a half hour). If thier idea of "using" consists of storing personal items, they have a cabin for that. :cool:

We're going to have to continue disagreeing on this (and that's ok). ;)

The 'inconsiderates' who save seats in the sun AND shade are not flopping back and forth every 29 minutes.

I don't care how big your a&% is. You can only sit on one side of the ship at a time.

I for one agree with you. There are hardly enough chairs on the ship for everyone to get 1. Use a chair where you want to be. If you no longer like that place, relinquish the chair and find another.

We were on Allure last week and never had a problem finding a chair. Maybe it is just the fact that there is so much more to do on the ship, but we never had an issue the whole week.

I've learned to embrace the chair hog. On my way to breakfast, I swing through the Solarium and see what chairs are "reserved" After breakfast, I choose one of those spots, grab another towel from the adjacent lounger, pick which paperback I want to read, put on some of their sunscreen, and enjoy my morning. If I can catch a pool attendant in the area, I point to the leftovers and tell them someone left a bunch of stuff there and let the pool attendant remove it all.

Only a few times had a chair hog come in to check their "nest" and I just tell them I've been there for X hours and to see the pool attendant.

It saves me having to check out pool towels on my sea pass.

I agree, but it would be nice if some areas had a little shelf for people who don't need a chair at all. There have been times when I just want to go by the pool for 30 minutes to swim or cool off in the pool and all I had with me was a Tshirt, towel and shoes. The shoes I don't mind leaving on the deck, but a shirt and towel doesn't do well most places, though I have found places I could set a folded towel and shirt on top of my shoes out of the way, but you can't guarantee someone won't soak them.

This is by far the best idea I have heard...some people just need a place to store their things while swimming and never use a chair. Listen up Royal Caribbean...put some cubbies/lockers on the pool deck. A cheap fix that would most likely free up some chairs. People have to put their stuff somewhere and right now the only way to do that is to "occupy" the valuable real estate called a chair.

I feel if you leave your items on the chair and go to get lunch you should not be required to give the chair up if you are at the Windjammer a short time. If you are far away from the pool say on the second deck it may not make a difference.

I don't agree...I think if you are in the pool area you can certainly keep your things on the chair, if decide to go to lunch you should be kind enough to give the chair up to someone else and when you come back find another one. If everyone did this it would not be a problem.

The 'inconsiderates' who save seats in the sun AND shade are not flopping back and forth every 29 minutes.

I don't care how big your a&% is. You can only sit on one side of the ship at a time.

I love it!!!:D:D:D

I don't agree...I think if you are in the pool area you can certainly keep your things on the chair, if decide to go to lunch you should be kind enough to give the chair up to someone else and when you come back find another one. If everyone did this it would not be a problem.

Yes,if everyone did this we would have a perfect world.

Tee hee.

Post of the day. RCI should make a big sign with that by every pool. :p

If only...

I've learned to embrace the chair hog. On my way to breakfast, I swing through the Solarium and see what chairs are "reserved" After breakfast, I choose one of those spots, grab another towel from the adjacent lounger, pick which paperback I want to read, put on some of their sunscreen, and enjoy my morning. If I can catch a pool attendant in the area, I point to the leftovers and tell them someone left a bunch of stuff there and let the pool attendant remove it all.

Only a few times had a chair hog come in to check their "nest" and I just tell them I've been there for X hours and to see the pool attendant.

It saves me having to check out pool towels on my sea pass.

Clever fun! And it so much easier to travel when you don't have to pack your books and sun screen:)

I know several people took exception to my comment to remove items when you go for lunch. However, most take take more than 30 minutes to go to the WJ for lunch. Maybe is they go at 2pm it is quick. If you go at prime lunch time. It is crowded, slow, and you will have to hunt for a table.

If you bring lunch back to your chair--no problem. That is like going to the bar to get a drink.

It is not about what you do. Swimming, taking a line dance class, water aerobics, etc are all pool activities. It is about where you are. If in the pool area fine.

I agree with the poster that you can usually find a chair at the outdoor pool. I actually have a bigger issue with this in the indoor pool. There are a VERY limited number of seats.

My husband and I are out first thing in the morning so we can get the chairs we want. Other than to go to the bathroom, or take a dip in the pool, we don't leave all day except to run and get lunch - we NEVER take 30 minutes. We just run in there, get something quick, and get back out. We also never put towels on in the morning and leave for 3 hours. We sit and enjoy the day. I have no problem at all if people run to breakfast or lunch as long as they are utilizing their chairs the entire day.

On Oasis, we were out before 8 am to get the chairs we wanted in the beach section. We saw people stake out their chairs and not come back for 2 hours. Finally the pool police started pulling their stuff. We got to know one of the guys pretty good and he said - we don't bother people that actually SIT by their chairs all day. just tell me if you are going to lunch (if you will be gone longer than 30 min) and you will be fine. It is the people that save 6 chairs and one person comes out once an hour that give everyone else a bad name. We have never and will never do that. We are at the pool the entire day except for the few breaks mentioned.

• 1 month later...

There really is one simple solution.

Do away with sunloungers altogether.

I rarely find a free sunlounger so I lay on a towel on the bare deck, it's never done me any harm and I have been doing that since 1963. I also don't have to get up early to grab a prime spot.

This subject can also be applied to ordinary chairs where persons dump their books on them and disappear for hours on end and only rerturn to them at feed time.

This is by far the best idea I have heard...some people just need a place to store their things while swimming and never use a chair. Listen up Royal Caribbean...put some cubbies/lockers on the pool deck. A cheap fix that would most likely free up some chairs. People have to put their stuff somewhere and right now the only way to do that is to "occupy" the valuable real estate called a chair.

I kind of feel guilty when I see people who have taken pictures of the solarium on Radiance class ships because when I was on Jewel and just went up for a swim, I put my t-shirt and towel on some of the artwrork. :o That way I wasn't using a chair and it was high and dry.

A couple of cruises ago i got up for an early walk- at 6:30or so on a sea day there were NO loungers left unclaimed. Some were still damp from either the spray or from being wiped down..

This cute little , older lady looked at me, gave me the 'shhh' sign- and proceeded to move items from somechairs on one side of the pool to the other- it was a hoot. She told me that " the same DAMNED novels have been here all week-I am a retired teacher and that pisses me off!"

She had my respect.

older lady looked at me, gave me the 'shhh' sign- and proceeded to move items from somechairs on one side of the pool to the other- it was a hoot. She told me that " the same DAMNED novels have been here all week-I am a retired teacher and that pisses me off!"

That may explain the only time I ever got really mad on a cruise. It was on Navigator, my wife and I went to the solarium and we found 2 chairs together. We were in them for an hour, my wife went to the bathroom and while I was waiting for her return a guy came up to me rather militantly asking where his stuff was. I was a bit dumbfounded and assured him I never saw anything and I had been there an hour. He was so beligerant about it, I was just about to remind him how much smaller he was than me and to ask him if he could swim 100 miles when his wife stated, "here it is " pointing to a chair on the opposite side of the solarium.

I've never seen Royal Caribbean enforce their chair hog rules

See below, They guys in the yellow shirts are working together to actively remove stuff after 30 minutes. The first guy makes notes on his pad and then after 30 minutes relays to the guy in the yellow shirt who removes it.

smdeckpatrol.jpg

smdeckpatrol2.jpg

Notice in the 2nd pic 8 chairs are shown and 0 are occupied. Even if your in the pool or where ever for a few minutes you could/should/would expect to see some people in chairs. When looking for a chair and you see banks or 10 chairs unoccupied that frustrates people.

Sadly (LOL!), you're lightyears away from qualifying as a chair hog and if you're ever to make the grade, you will simply have to work much harder. You must be poolside by 6am to claim eight lounges for your party of five, stake your claim with an assortment of empty shopping bags, torn magazines, empty bottles of suntan lotion, broken sunglasses, single flip-flops, a half-eaten rotting apple and the remains of a never-read paperback book (sans cover) which has been torn into eight random pieces. Most importantly, not one person in your party must ever return to the pool deck any time before 3:15pm! Good luck.

Peed a little bit when I read that!!! :D

Now I just want to go to the pool deck periodically and take items off of multiple hogged chair simply out of spite.

Archived