Not a chair hog but...

If you leave the pool area--even for lunch you should remove your items. Items on the second deck are not usually an issue--unless you are under one of the prized overhangs/tables. (We do not usually go for those. But, there are a few prized locations on the second deck, too.)

Nah... rule says 30 minutes so if you run to your cabin or grab lunch within that timeframe I think you're fine. We have a little tag I clip to our chairs when we're in the pool or grabbing lunch (which we eat on the pool deck).

================================================

You speak for your own country we brits dont have time to put towels on chairs,we are too busy thowing the German towels that have been put on chairs into the pool:D

Hahaha.

I think a chog could also be someone who only saves one seat, but doesn't use it for hours, if ever.

Maybe... if they're not on the pool deck. If you can see your chair you're not hogging it. USE doesn't have to mean sitting in the chair. I think it can also mean a place for your stuff like some other posters said. Of course it wouldn't hurt people who only want to drop their stuff to choose an upright chair instead of a lounger or a seat in a less desirable spot but they don't have to.

I feel if you leave your items on the chair and go to get lunch you should not be required to give the chair up if you are at the Windjammer a short time. If you are far away from the pool say on the second deck it may not make a difference.

That is where the 30 minute rule applies in my opinion. To me that is the grace period to get lunch.

[quote=LESLIEKURZ;34169936

Maybe... if they're not on the pool deck. If you can see your chair you're not hogging it. USE doesn't have to mean sitting in the chair. I think it can also mean a place for your stuff like some other posters said. Of course it wouldn't hurt people who only want to drop their stuff to choose an upright chair instead of a lounger or a seat in a less desirable spot but they don't have to.

I went to the solarium on a very crowded day and spotted two empty chairs. Someone was just ahead of me and plopped her things on one. I immediately put my stuff on the other. "Oh, you're going to sit there?" Yup. "Well I was going to save it for my friend who might be coming later." I told her my DH might be coming later as well but that it was against the rules to save chairs. She then went and sat on the edge of the pool and chatted with some people. I was there reading for at least 3 hours. DH came by at some point to visit but he's not a pool person. My point is that she never returned to her chair the entire time (and her friend never showed up either). Even though she remained in the pool area, I consider her a chair hog.

I went to the solarium on a very crowded day and spotted two empty chairs. Someone was just ahead of me and plopped her things on one. I immediately put my stuff on the other. "Oh, you're going to sit there?" Yup. "Well I was going to save it for my friend who might be coming later." I told her my DH might be coming later as well but that it was against the rules to save chairs. She then went and sat on the edge of the pool and chatted with some people. I was there reading for at least 3 hours. DH came by at some point to visit but he's not a pool person. My point is that she never returned to her chair the entire time (and her friend never showed up either). Even though she remained in the pool area, I consider her a chair hog.

I do too.

lesliekurz - Would you consider someone who sat at a table on the pool deck playing cards, or whatever, but also kept some random crap on a lounger because they 'might' want to use it later a chog? How about the people who save loungers in the sun AND the shade so they can follow the sun/shade. I think both are chogs (I have a better word, but can't use it here). ;)

I've never seen Royal Caribbean enforce their chair hog rules and imho this trains everyone to break them.

On our recent TA, a large group of ******* (as they are stereotyped to do) put their towels on prime Solarium lounges by 8am every day and held them until after 6pm, vacating them for an hour or two at a time, but usually returning. It deprived a lot of us of choice chairs for our briefer stays at the pool.

I keep suggesting enforcement on my evaluation forms, but apparently no one is listening.

lesliekurz - Would you consider someone who sat at a table on the pool deck playing cards, or whatever, but also kept some random crap on a lounger because they 'might' want to use it later a chog? How about the people who save loungers in the sun AND the shade so they can follow the sun/shade. I think both are chogs (I have a better word, but can't use it here). ;)

Your focusing on one chair being saved by one person when multiples of chairs being saved by one person is the real problem. I know what you'll say, "What if everyone saved one chair but didn't use it." In reality that's not the real problem. To be honest, I've never been a victim of chair hogs. I go early, get my seat, and then watch the action begin. My favorite is the periscope heads on the hogs to see who's looking as they lay out 10 towels at a time.

I agree, but it would be nice if some areas had a little shelf for people who don't need a chair at all. There have been times when I just want to go by the pool for 30 minutes to swim or cool off in the pool and all I had with me was a Tshirt, towel and shoes. The shoes I don't mind leaving on the deck, but a shirt and towel doesn't do well most places, though I have found places I could set a folded towel and shirt on top of my shoes out of the way, but you can't guarantee someone won't soak them.

I think this is such a great idea! Cubbies or locker, whatever, just a place to stash your stuff if you hve no plans or no need for a chair.

Also, another idea I use is that for a family with young kids, ( and mine are now teens but spend loads of time actually in the pool so I still do this even now!) is to just get one or two chairs. One for the "off duty parent " and one for the other parent and kids to perch in while they make their brief visits to the chair area. Nothing makes me nuttier than a family hoseying 5 chairs, mom settles down and dad is in the pool with 3 kids all day, no one ever uses those other 4 chairs! So if we could create that "family" chair culture on board, it would help with over crowding.

Another ideas to have assigned chairs, put a number on every chair associated with your cabin # or you book your number first come first served, it's your chair of the week. If its not occupied anyone could perch there, but only till the owner returns. I don't love the idea, because you couldn t sit your new friends or friends in other cabins, but it would solve the chair hog issue.

OP you are not a chair hog, no one every really sees them, they hog their chairs at dawn and then pretty much disappear...pretty elusive creatures really!

OP you are not a chair hog, no one every really sees them, they hog their chairs at dawn and then pretty much disappear...pretty elusive creatures really!

Like fishing, you have to get up early to make the catch. (note clock)

chairhog.jpg

Your focusing on one chair being saved by one person when multiples of chairs being saved by one person is the real problem. I know what you'll say, "What if everyone saved one chair but didn't use it." In reality that's not the real problem. To be honest, I've never been a victim of chair hogs. I go early, get my seat, and then watch the action begin. My favorite is the periscope heads on the hogs to see who's looking as they lay out 10 towels at a time.

One chair, six chairs, a hog is a hog.

I'm not one who has to sit near the pool. I'm happier away from the crowds and the noise, but the DH he likes poolside.

I'm usually the happy one, ... thanks to the chogs! :)

that's 30 minutes over the "limit" each time. We always swim a lot on a cruise. That's how we could keep our weight under control (on some cruises we actually lost weight!) I just hate the fact that we have to watch our belongings while exercising (swimming) not because of worries about theft but of worries about out stuff being removed by the crew member. That's not relaxing at all.

================================================

You speak for your own country we brits dont have time to put towels on chairs,we are too busy thowing the German towels that have been put on chairs into the pool:D

Geez! No wonder you Europeans are always getting into wars with each other! :D

I'm going on the Freedom in September. My first royal carribean cruise. I've been on five other cruises on different lines and never really realized this chair hogging problem, but reading the numerous posts on these boards about it, I'm getting a little worried. What time should one get to the pool to get a chair? Once I get there, I'll stay all day. I'm more of a sunbather than a swimmer so going to the pool isn't really an issue. I can just lay on a lounge chair for hours reading a good book or listening to my iPod...:) and since I haven't been able to get a week long vacation from work in over two years, I want to enjoy every minute!

Also, another idea I use is that for a family with young kids, ( and mine are now teens but spend loads of time actually in the pool so I still do this even now!) is to just get one or two chairs. One for the "off duty parent " and one for the other parent and kids to perch in while they make their brief visits to the chair area.

That is what we do. We usually grab two chairs for the five of us. I have a teen and a tween that rarely sit still for more than five minutes so they don't need chairs.

Laugh for the day. For me anyway.

I was really dizzy this morning, and I mis-read the title of this thread as,

Not a Hair Clog but....

I couldn't wait to see what got stuck in your drain....

chairhog.jpg

You got one!:eek::p

I'm going on the Freedom in September. My first royal carribean cruise. I've been on five other cruises on different lines and never really realized this chair hogging problem, but reading the numerous posts on these boards about it, I'm getting a little worried. What time should one get to the pool to get a chair? Once I get there, I'll stay all day. I'm more of a sunbather than a swimmer so going to the pool isn't really an issue. I can just lay on a lounge chair for hours reading a good book or listening to my iPod...:) and since I haven't been able to get a week long vacation from work in over two years, I want to enjoy every minute!

Don't panic! There are usually enough chairs to go round so long as you don't have to be on top of the pool ( and since you don't swim...you don't!). There are usually chairs to be found along the top deck above the pools and often other places. As you wander the first day, take note, and most of the out of the way ones will be open even till late morning if you want to sleep in. If you must be right in the thick of it, plan to get out there 8 ish to 9 ish. After 9 all the primo places are taken or more usually, chair hogged.

I'm super fair and spend little time in the sun, so usually if I get to the pool deck and want a chair, its just for just an hour or so. So I find a hogged pair, and place the contents of one on its partner.( you can usually tell because the pair of flip flops is split between the chairs, or some people drape one towel over two) If the people show up ( happened only once in many many cruises- and they were in street clothes and said " those are our chairs" and I said , " Im sorry, no one was here for an hour so I though they were free, but we are just leaving anyway" and they said, " oh that's all right we just had breakfast and now we have to go back to the cabin to change". I didn't feel too bad about it!;) Did I mention the chairs were literally next to the "please d not reserve deck chairs " sign?) Most times no one ever shows up in the hour or two I use the hogged chair and I place their stuff back on it when I leave, maybe not with quite as much panache as the original " hoggage tableau " but enough to allow then to continue to compete in the hoggage olympics for "most enduring hoggage without actual use of chairs";)

That is what we do. We usually grab two chairs for the five of us. I have a teen and a tween that rarely sit still for more than five minutes so they don't need chairs.

Even as older teens my girls run from pool to hot tub all afternoon, so rather than waste a chair, we just get the two for DH and I ( since we no longer have to watch like hawks, we are both " off duty";)) and the girls just visit ocassionally and perch ( and drip:rolleyes:) on the end of ours!

So glad other families are doing this...if we all do our part, it won't be a problem for anyone!

I know several people took exception to my comment to remove items when you go for lunch. However, most take take more than 30 minutes to go to the WJ for lunch. Maybe is they go at 2pm it is quick. If you go at prime lunch time. It is crowded, slow, and you will have to hunt for a table.

If you bring lunch back to your chair--no problem. That is like going to the bar to get a drink.

It is not about what you do. Swimming, taking a line dance class, water aerobics, etc are all pool activities. It is about where you are. If in the pool area fine.

I agree with the poster that you can usually find a chair at the outdoor pool. I actually have a bigger issue with this in the indoor pool. There are a VERY limited number of seats.

If you are in a group....and one member gets really tanked...tie him to 3 or 4 deck chairs...that way, when you get up, he is still there, you have your deck chairs and people can make fun of the guy at the pool still in his tuxedo!

Seriously, report chair hogs, then report them again and again. RCI will begin to get the message...if 200 people on every sailing complain, it will get attention.

We move the stuff....Sit and then wait for the confrontation....yeah, I can be as obnoxious as any chair hog

Usually people starting rolling in around 9am. Anytime before that you should have a selection of prime seating. If you get there early enough you can watch the chair hogs as they try to find the best area to set up. They're a very confused looking bunch as they try to anticipate the path of the sun, how many seats they need, and all the while watching to see who's watching them.

I consider them inconsiderate and maybe rude but not hogs. If they go back to the chair every 30 minutes they're operating within the rules so what can you do? I go back to the fact that USE is a broadly defined word. What you and I think of as USING a chair can differ greatly from someone else's definition. I really only care about hogging when people aren't even on the pool deck and have stuff on chairs so that they have somewhere to sit once they decide to roll out of bed.

chairhog.jpg

Our view a lot of mornings followed thankfully by a RCCL employee with a pen and a pad noting the time. Love that!

I remember back when you HAD to reserve a lounge chair -

You got a steward who would bring your drinks, get a pillow etc. Ok it was back when ships were lots smaller and there were lounges to spare.

I do like the idea (BillOh) of a shelf for stuff and let chairs be for people using them by sitting.

I consider them inconsiderate and maybe rude but not hogs. If they go back to the chair every 30 minutes they're operating within the rules so what can you do? I go back to the fact that USE is a broadly defined word. What you and I think of as USING a chair can differ greatly from someone else's definition. I really only care about hogging when people aren't even on the pool deck and have stuff on chairs so that they have somewhere to sit once they decide to roll out of bed.

Our view a lot of mornings followed thankfully by a RCCL employee with a pen and a pad noting the time. Love that!

We're going to have to continue disagreeing on this (and that's ok). ;)

The 'inconsiderates' who save seats in the sun AND shade are not flopping back and forth every 29 minutes.

I don't care how big your a&% is. You can only sit on one side of the ship at a time.

Archived