Question about Internet access on the Diamond Princess

kitcrazy

Are you retired? All of my friends, including myself, are expected to stay in touch with the office while we are on vacation. This is now expected and not voluntary. This can't be done easily on elite minutes. Unlimited internet would make my life a whole lot easier.

Not going to see any free unlimited internet on Princess. That went away because someone was selling his access info.

Not going to see any free unlimited internet on Princess. That went away because someone was selling his access info.

When I meant unlimited, I meant for a reasonable fee. I think you will see it for a set fee but Princess will be very late to the game in providing it. Princess used to be innovative and first to the punch but seems to be behind now a days.

Edited by Casey12

Are you retired? All of my friends, including myself, are expected to stay in touch with the office while we are on vacation. This is now expected and not voluntary. This can't be done easily on elite minutes. Unlimited internet would make my life a whole lot easier.

During most cruises over the past few years, I have needed to keep in touch with work over the internet at least a couple of times on most days, often receiving or sending fairly large files. This has been possible by doing all reviewing & writing (and most reading) while offline, signing on only to send/receive in batch, and (insofar as possible) limiting sign-ons to times of day/night when the system is less-used (faster). I have almost always been able to complete the cruise within the Platinum/Elite free allocation. (Admittedly, I have occasionally had to take advantage of a bit of my DW's allocation...) I don't use the internet for voice and rarely send photos. Besides saving me money, this approach presumably reduces my demands on bandwidth to benefit of all internet users on the ship.

John

Edited by J-D

The Princess Lines Internet Access is a complete rip off $60 will just about get you a email after a very long time.

I have discused this with them and their reply that ship Internet is very slow. No it is not, it is the bandwidth allocated to that area.

When Internet on Princess was first available, the only possible passenger usage was on a limited number (usually less than 20) computers in the Princess Internet Cafe.

Today, theoretically every passenger could have an Internet capable device and want to use it at the same time. Of course this is unlikely, but most of the day it is very possible that hundreds of passengers are using the Internet at the same time.

I can assure you that at 3 AM Internet on Princess is very responsive and possibly even faster than at home. Very few, if any, other users trying to use it at that hour.

I can assure you that at 3 AM Internet on Princess is very responsive and possibly even faster than at home. Very few, if any, other users trying to use it at that hour.

I have used the internet twice while onboard during a crew drill.

Most pax off the ship. All crew at their emergency stations.

Internet very, very fast.

So, I agree -- quite fast when you can get all the bandwidth,

slows as you have to share with more and more people.

Just like serving yourself in the lido...

Edited by pablo222

Yes, I'm now retired but when I worked, I had two full-time jobs concurrently, one of which was with a major Internet company, and checked in on both frequently. The Platinum/Elite minutes were sufficient because I logged on when others weren't using the Internet.

When Princess first implemented the limited Platinum/Elite Internet perk, they analyzed the data and found that 97% of the passengers used less than the package plan times. That was a few years ago and things have changed but at the time, that was the result of their own data from their own passengers.

• 2 years later...