Alaskan Review with PICS!

BeachBum1007

Well, now after seeing it posted, it doesn't look too bad.

The Homer Spit is in Homer, Alaska, the other side of the Kenai Peninsula from Seward.

Amber - I hope you and your family can go back sometime in the future and do some land touring also.

Glad you were able to figure it out. I use Picasa and you are able to choose your size, which is how I got it to the size you see. Your picture is beautiful, I hope I get to see more!

What type of camera were you using? I too have a new canon..

I got a Canon Rebel T3!

Thanks for posting your review, and the beautiful photos!

I will be taking this Alaska cruise on the Volendam in August.... My first Alaska trip! Your review and photos have really helped me get excited about my own upcoming vacation!

It sounds like you really enjoy travelling with your family. I am in my late 20's, and will be doing this cruise with some family as well..... I think travelling with family really allows you to spend quality time together. It's good to take opportunities to travel while you are young, because you never know where life will take you in the future...

Enjoy your travels, all the best! :)

Dear Amber!

Thank you for the best review I have ever seen! You should consider this as a career! So sad because I am leaving in three weeks with my college son and his aunt and uncle - too bad we couldnt have all sailed together last year, hint hint LOL! Thanks again Amber your pictures are amazing!!!!!!

Great review! I loved all the pictures. Funny, I was just talking to dh about should we get a verandah or not. Your pictures are nice proof that you don't really need one. Thanks for sharing and helping us figure our trip options.

Dear Amber!

Thank you for the best review I have ever seen! You should consider this as a career! So sad because I am leaving in three weeks with my college son and his aunt and uncle - too bad we couldnt have all sailed together last year, hint hint LOL! Thanks again Amber your pictures are amazing!!!!!!

Yes, this has been a GREAT review!! I very much appreciate it!

Thank You!

Amber, you should be publishing a photo book!! Amazing shots. You have really made me even more excited to go on my first Alaskan cruise in September.

I do have a question for those who have done this before: how crazy is it in port when 4 or 5 ships arrive on the same day? My mental images of exploring lovely Alaskan towns, enjoying breath-taking scenery whilst sipping an Alaskan brew (and I'm a wine drinker!) somehow seem rather idealistic when I look at Amber's pic of the cruise ships in dock!

Amber, as everyone else has said, your pictures are stunning. I live in Port Angeles and have spent hours and hours in Olympic National Park. You did a great job capturing the beauty of all three areas! Thanks so much.

Your photos are magnificent! We sail on Sept. 1st this year and your photos make me want the time to fly by!

What I LOVE is that you went to Olympic Natl. Park! As a native Seattleite.................who now lives on the southern border of WA......it makes me SO happy when people can stop and see some of WA and OR as well. Olympic is so beautiful and "native"............you caught that feeling so well in your photos.

Next time you head north, just bring more clothes! When you said you were so cold it gave me the shivers; the dampness makes a person all the coldER and yes, your Mom's ankles look pretty bare! That reminds me to take longer socks for those glacier days!

THANK YOU for sharing your photos; I know it took a long time to do this. (Don't you just LOVE CC?) ;)

What a wonderful review and the pictures are stunning! Question, the Capilion Suspension Bridge......We land around 2 in Vancouver, spend the night downtown, and have a transfer from the Hotel to the ship around 11:00........KNOWING we won't be able to do it all - would it be best to go to the bridge around 5:00 p.m., hours are 8:30 a.m - 8:00 p.m., or be there when they open at 8:30 a.m the next day? Would cabs be best or is there public transportation? Any advice would be wonderful!

Sorry for the delayed replies, I just got home from my trip yesterday. I am so glad everyone is enjoying the review and are finding it helpful! Everyone's comments are more than complimentary and I truly appreciate the great feedback. I always secretly wanted to be a travel author and am getting more involved in photography, so maybe one day! :)

Amber, you should be publishing a photo book!! Amazing shots. You have really made me even more excited to go on my first Alaskan cruise in September.

I do have a question for those who have done this before: how crazy is it in port when 4 or 5 ships arrive on the same day? My mental images of exploring lovely Alaskan towns, enjoying breath-taking scenery whilst sipping an Alaskan brew (and I'm a wine drinker!) somehow seem rather idealistic when I look at Amber's pic of the cruise ships in dock!

Hmm... Now that you mention it, I don't recall ever feeling crowded or overwhelmed with people in ports. I think 3 ships were the most that we experienced and it was never too difficult to stroll the towns. There are many options to choose from when it comes to excursions, so maybe that is where all of the people were. The only places I really felt a little cramped were the saloons where we had to wait a bit for a stool. However, there are other less famous bars in port that have the brew you want to experience, just in case. Have you checked to see how many ships are actually in port with you? Hopefully you'll get lucky and you won't have to worry. Nevertheless, book your excursions early and make sure to get off the ship early so that you can enjoy the town as much as you can! :)

What a wonderful review and the pictures are stunning! Question, the Capilion Suspension Bridge......We land around 2 in Vancouver, spend the night downtown, and have a transfer from the Hotel to the ship around 11:00........KNOWING we won't be able to do it all - would it be best to go to the bridge around 5:00 p.m., hours are 8:30 a.m - 8:00 p.m., or be there when they open at 8:30 a.m the next day? Would cabs be best or is there public transportation? Any advice would be wonderful!

Honestly, I think I would go first thing in the morning. It wasn't very crowded during this time and it gave us the opportunity to see everything we wanted to without a mass of people and without having to rush through it before it closed. If your family is like us, a day of traveling absolutely wears us out and this is definitely a place you want a lot of energy for (because of how exciting it is!). Also, give yourself enough time to get back to the hotel and for a transfer to the ship before it sails!

The bridges are in North Vancouver, about a 20 minute or so drive from downtown. The city has a light-rail train; however, I don't think it travels that far. I would definitely double check! We had a rental car that we were able to take advantage of, so I can't give any advice on how much a taxi would cost. I hope this helped a little!

Your photos are magnificent! We sail on Sept. 1st this year and your photos make me want the time to fly by!

What I LOVE is that you went to Olympic Natl. Park! As a native Seattleite.................who now lives on the southern border of WA......it makes me SO happy when people can stop and see some of WA and OR as well. Olympic is so beautiful and "native"............you caught that feeling so well in your photos.

Next time you head north, just bring more clothes! When you said you were so cold it gave me the shivers; the dampness makes a person all the coldER and yes, your Mom's ankles look pretty bare! That reminds me to take longer socks for those glacier days!

THANK YOU for sharing your photos; I know it took a long time to do this. (Don't you just LOVE CC?) ;)

YES! I love CC, which is why I'm hoping to do my part to help everyone out as much as others helped me!

Olympic is definitely in my top three list as one of my favorite NPs! I wish we could have taken it slower and spent more time there, but the overview I received makes me want to visit again! I highly recommend it as an add on for others.

It is so funny that you mention more clothes next time I go up North. I just got back from my Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Glacier NP trip and the forecast showed much cooler days than what we experienced. Supposedly they're having some kind of unexpected heat wave? I needed more shorts! I'm not good at this layering thing. haha

For Capilano Suspension Bridge we took an excursion bus that picked up at our hotel and back. Bought tickets from the concierge. Not sure how many hotels the bus stops at but you can also pick up at Canada Place. I personally would try to go at 5 PM because it stays light out till late and I would not want to feel pressured in the morning if I knew that I had to check-out of my hotel. You will need to spend at least two hours there, maybe more. It is worth it....one of the highlights of our two week Vancouver/Alaska trip.

Where did you get your boots!? They seem cute and functional.

Thanks, and yes I loved them! My rain boots are the black ones you see and they were the most useful. I got them at Academy, Stone Creek brand, for $20! I wore these the most, especially when I knew I was going to be around water or needed to hike in the mud. They have great grippers on them.

The others, the brown ones, are my old winter boots from Forever 21. I brought them because they were cheap and worn in so I knew they would be comfortable for a lot of walking and I wouldn't be upset if they got messed up. I would have been fine with just my rain boots, but I'm too matchy matchy when it comes to my outfits :D

Neat advice that I use concerning shoes when traveling: It's always a good idea to stock up on those complimentary shower caps when you stay in hotels. You can stretch them around the bottom of your dirty or wet shoes so that it doesn't mess up the rest of your clothes on the way home!

• 1 month later...

So because of your review (w/pics) our family booked the Tracy Arm Excursion via Allen Marine from the Volendam last week and it was truly one of the highlights of our 12 day vacation...a GREAT BIG THANK YOU. Without your post(s) and pix I really doubt we would have done so!

One of the many reasons this board is so invaluable. I do plan to post a review and other thank yous shortly.

So because of your review (w/pics) our family booked the Tracy Arm Excursion via Allen Marine from the Volendam last week and it was truly one of the highlights of our 12 day vacation...a GREAT BIG THANK YOU. Without your post(s) and pix I really doubt we would have done so!

One of the many reasons this board is so invaluable. I do plan to post a review and other thank yous shortly.

This is such great news to hear! I'm so glad y'all had such an awesome time and loved the Tracy Arm excursion as much as we did! Glad I could be of help :)

• 5 months later...

Great Review If you go again try the 18 to 270 Lense for canon Its great. I am going to Alaska for the first time this year.. I am doing a few of the tours you did with your family. I am well prepared for the pictures plan on bringing 2 DSLR and my gopro.. I loved your pics and review..

Archived