Alaskan Review with PICS!

BeachBum1007

Had to laugh at this picture!...So that's where all the Alaskan Beer is? The Sea Princess ran out on our June 2 sailing, how can you run out of Alaskan Beer on an Alaska cruise four days into a 10 day cruise? Can't remember HAL ever running out.

Need to book another HAL Alaska cruise!!!!!!

Hi vbmom! We have the Alaska bug really bad, just finished our fifth trip and looking at the Statendam for next year. Gave DD choice of Disneyland/Las Vegas or Alaska cruise next summer, she's says, "can we do a b2b?" What have we created? It's ALL good!

Thank you for the review and pictures. I love your pictures. So, what new camera did you purchase?

David

I would love to know the camera you purchased as well. It took wonderful pictures.

I created an account on here just so I could tell you thank you for your posts. I can't wait to read the rest!

Denise

Instead of choosing to take the train like most cruisers, we decided to rent a car so that we could see more and stop at our leisure.

After we got off the ship we took a short walk into the town and visited a few shops. It’s amazing what you can see right off the ship ☺

This was right next to the ship! Baby otter calling for his mommy! Adorable.

Alaska%25202011%2520726.JPG

Alaska%25202011%2520722.JPG

We found a printable guide online (Murray's) that we took with us to help us determine where all the good spots were. Unfortunately, it was not completely accurate about the mile markers so after a few frustrating turnarounds, we were able to find all of the great stopping points. Many of them are off the road places, but the road that you stay on throughout the drive has many drive-off spots where you can stop and view. The guide was better than nothing. We found a lot of great places we wouldn't have otherwise seen.

Hello fellow cruisers!

Alaska%25202011%2520779.JPG

Tourists adding to nature.

Alaska%25202011%2520800.JPG

Officially in British Columbia

Alaska%25202011%2520810.JPG

Alaska%25202011%2520812.JPG

Lake beach

Alaska%25202011%2520722.JPG

Yukon!

Alaska%25202011%2520835.JPG

Made a wish to return

Alaska%25202011%2520843.JPG

Alaska%25202011%2520846.JPG

In Carcross

Alaska%25202011%2520856.JPG

We ended at Emerald Lake in (Canada) and then turned around to make the drive back.

Alaska%25202011%2520863.JPG

I highly recommend bringing Ziplocs on your cruise so that you can pack a lunch from the ship (cereal boxes, breads with peanut butter, pastries, etc.) because there aren’t any places along this route to stop!! We did stop at a gas station at the end to grab snacks but got completely ripped off because we didn’t have Canadian dollars and didn’t know how to convert. Also, bathrooms are scarce and are usually porta-potties. Bring hand sanitizer, tissues and those little seat covers! Also, you have to cross the Canadian border so bring your passports (you can get them stamped in Carcross ☺)

I wanted to get closer to the snow peaks, so we partially hiked up this mountain and found this little oasis of a pond and lichen covered ground. I was hoping to see a mountain goat up here; if I were a mountain goat, this is where I would be!

Alaska%25202011%2520869.JPG

Back in AK

Alaska%25202011%2520795.JPG

The town

Alaska%25202011%2520738.JPG

After we returned the car, we saw the small town and did some quick shopping while the guys went to the Red Onion Saloon (over rated, IMO).

This was great scenery and we were glad we rented a car so that we could see it all, but it was a long day driving and definitely wore us out. You have to weigh your options of having a relaxing day on the train, or getting to see all the small things that you would otherwise not see but spend all day in the car.

Weather report: Skagway was warmer than the other ports, but Yukon was hot! I had to roll up my sleeves on my sweater and wish I had sandals instead.

Great photos and great narrative and it's so nice that you all went as a family.

You will have wonderful memories not only of what you saw but spending the time with your family both which I think is quite important.

Excellent.

Keith

Thank you for such a detailed review..we are also whale watching with Harv and Marv on our upcoming cruise (2 weeks from today!). Glad to hear that this was a great experience. I love small boats.

We have also reserved a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald lake. Thanks for the food and potty tips! We are the type to want to stop and take in the details of the scenery so I am sure this is the best way for us to experience it, over the railroad.

I highly recommend bringing Ziplocs on your cruise so that you can pack a lunch from the ship (cereal boxes, breads with peanut butter, pastries, etc.) because there aren’t any places along this route to stop!! We did stop at a gas station at the end to grab snacks but got completely ripped off because we didn’t have Canadian dollars and didn’t know how to convert. Also, bathrooms are scarce and are usually porta-potties. Bring hand sanitizer, tissues and those little seat covers! Also, you have to cross the Canadian border so bring your passports (you can get them stamped in Carcross ☺)

It has been reported MANY TIMES on this forum that you are not allowed to bring food off the ship unless it is is packaged, like the cereal boxes you mentioned.

This was great scenery and we were glad we rented a car so that we could see it all, but it was a long day driving and definitely wore us out. You have to weigh your options of having a relaxing day on the train, or getting to see all the small things that you would otherwise not see but spend all day in the car.

If you book with a smaller company like Chilkoot, you take the train in one direction and one of their smaller van like buses in the other direction. They make many, many planned stops and will also stop when passengers ask. It would be pricey for a family, but is definitely a great way to see both the scenery from the train and the road. Although many on this forum will say the scenery is the same, that is true for only a part of the journey. You do see some gorgeous scenery well away from the view of the road. We took the train all the way to Carcross and that is my recommendation for anyone who has beautiful scenery as their priority.

If there is a next time, we may very well rent a car, as the tour is expensive. However when I planned my first trip to Alaska, I figured it might be my only one and I wanted to see all I could and have no regrets. We had no regrets. :D

Beautiful photos. I also appreciate your concise, directly on point commentary.

Yes, it is an excellent to the point review.

Great photos and great narrative and it's so nice that you all went as a family.

You will have wonderful memories not only of what you saw but spending the time with your family both which I think is quite important.

Excellent.

Keith

Keith1010: We still talk about it to this day!! ☺ We all went to Hawaii together about 5 years ago, along with my cousin, and STILL rave about that trip. Traveling brings out the best in people.

Amazing photos. I see what camera you were using, but what size lens did you use...especially with the whales.

celestialcruiser: I apologize! I should have mentioned my lenses before. I mainly used my 18-55mm for scenery. But for almost all of my wildlife shots, I used a 75-300mm lens. I was constantly switching back and forth between them. It became kind of a hassle so I finally started keeping the extra zipped in my jacket pocket for quick switching. My tips for everyone: a great photo editor can do wonders to the results of ANY camera. I used Picasa (by google) for this trip. It’s free and does the job. I recently switched to Adobe Lightroom (definitely not free at all), but it gives you more options and better results.

Beautiful photos. I also appreciate your concise, directly on point commentary.

pdmlynek: Thank you! And thank you to everyone else as well! When I was looking for help with this trip, reviews like these, especially with photos, made it easier to plan. Just trying to do my part to return the favor! You guys are awesome!

Alaskan beer? first of heard of it was it nice.Any one know if all ships have it

Nelie: The Alaskan beer was amazing, IMO. We always got an Amber in port when we could, and then bottles of Summer on the ship when we were playing the trivia type games. Became kind of a regular thing! ☺ It has just been announced that the Alaskan beer is now available in our state, so we’re pumped for its arrival!! I’m not sure if all of the ships have it (like ellebelle mentioned above, they ran out!), but it’s definitely available in your ports!

For everybody who is getting ready to leave: Have an AMAZING time!! It’s hard not to, regardless of the weather. Alaska is another world ☺

This was a relaxing but very busy day at the same time, confusing I know. Relaxing in that we got to stay on the ship and viewed scenery, but busy in that I was running all over it trying to get the best view of the glaciers.

These glaciers are beautiful and the rangers on board give great information about them. My least favorite part is that I was freezing my buns off. I came prepared! I had the layers and the gloves, a scarf, the long johns, and ear warmers and everything, but I was chilled to the bone!! I’m a wuss when it comes to the cold, so I can’t speak for everyone, but I gladly spent the money for the baileys and hot chocolate that they served on deck.

Finding a place outside wasn’t an issue (we were on the lower viewing deck, where people go to run or walk, for the majority (level 3 I believe?)), but if you want to stay inside for the views, find a place early. This is a good time for a balcony room, but then you’re limited to a specific side of the ship. With all of the action (wildlife, glacier calving, and random photo opps), I was never stuck on one side. However, the ship does turn so that both sides of the ship can see the scenery.

We spent the majority of the day in and out of the ship, viewing different glaciers, filling up my memory card, eating complimentary pea soup, drinking hot chocolate, going to the clam bake, and lounging on the deck chairs waiting for something awesome to happen! It was not really a lazy sea day, but that’s because of what I made of it. Everyone is different, but I wanted to see it all. Once in a lifetime (hopefully not though), right?

I think Glacier Bay is not to be missed, even though I had already seen Tracy Arm. It's basically a (sort of) free excursion right on your ship! The cruise lines do a great job of making this a memorable experience for the passengers.

Weather report: I think I whined to you enough ☺ Chilling cold with a good chance of drizzle. This is where that lower (covered) viewing deck came in handy.

Distant bighorn sheep and grizzly, sailing into the bay.

Alaska%25202011%2520886.JPGAlaska%25202011%2520899.JPG

Bundled up, looking like fools. haha. I bet my mom's ankles were freezing. Craziness.

Alaska%25202011%2520889.JPG

Glacier

Alaska%25202011%2520925.JPG

We were so jealous of these kayakers!

Alaska%25202011%2520937.JPG

Alaska%25202011%2520949.JPG

Mysterious cave. Wishing I could have gone in there with a kayak!

Alaska%25202011%2520935.JPG

Up close.

Alaska%25202011%2520929.JPG

Very cool patterns. You can even see the glaciers still in the mountains.

Alaska%25202011%2520959.JPG

First calving. They happen quite often if you're lucky. Just listen for them (they're pretty LOUD), but you have to be ready!! Everybody gets super pumped when it happens.

Alaska%25202011%2520972.JPG

Post-calving close-up.

Alaska%25202011%2520974.JPG

These guys were everywhere at one point.

Alaska%25202011%25201001.JPG

Camera report: I used my zoom lens for about 90% of the shots in Glacier Bay. We also saw some orcas and porpoises at the end of the day during dinner. This was the ONE time I did not have my camera around my neck, it was charging. Sad face. I was super bummed. You always have to be prepared and on watch!

Springchicken, Alaska almost always shows rainy days! We were worried about this as well. The report showed 60% every day and we only got misted/sprinkled on in Vancouver and Ketchikan! Perfect weather otherwise! Juneau was even having a "hot" day, low 80's, and they were dying of the heat. hehe

So, even if it says you're going to be rained out, come prepared and hope for the best anyways!

Thank you so much for your amazing pictures and details of the trip, I am sailing July 29th and seeing your pictures and reviews are making me so excited!!! These are some of the most beautiful pictures I have ever seen! I especially love the one of seal!

This is by far the best review I've ever read! Straight and to the point about what you see; not about the food or the ship. Love your photos. Like you, I like to see and do as much as I can on excursions. I'm am so jealous. One day it will be my turn.

This is by far the best review I've ever read! Straight and to the point about what you see; not about the food or the ship. Love your photos. Like you, I like to see and do as much as I can on excursions. I'm am so jealous. One day it will be my turn.

I agree, but you would be surprised how many are more interested in the ship than they are in what there is to see outside the ship. :confused:

We got off the ship relatively early so that we could see the town before our excursion.

View from the ship

Alaska%25202011%25201029.JPG

Hello Ketchikan!

Alaska%25202011%25201034.JPG

We visited a few shops and met my cute friend here.

Alaska%25202011%25201041.JPG

Alaska%25202011%25201044.JPG

Another friend

Alaska%25202011%25201066.JPG

"Salmon" berries. They were yummy.

Alaska%25202011%25201062.JPG

Archived