Norwegian Star helps ailing sailboat

youngestof9

Thanks. Praises go out to the NCL Star captain & crew. Hope to see of you at our CC meet & greet on our Nov 25th cruise. Want to thank you guys/gals personally.

Another reason why I cruise NCL as the officers/crew are the best.

Love reading stories like this, after meeting the captain two weeks ago on our cruise on the Star I can see that they would go out of their way to help. Make sure that you go to your cruise critic meet and greet, you will me all the officers and recieve an invitation to tour the bridge, it was amazing and what great people they are, all the captains were extremly friendly, so dont miss it.

Great job. Congrats to captain and crew.

Don't they have to if they are the closest ship?

If the Coast Guard requests the assistance of a cruise ship, YES. In the case of The Princess, I believe it was passengers who saw the distress signal and reported to staff members.

Does anyone know how the ship handles the people they rescue? What if the ship is full? Do they make them get off at the next port? Charge them?

Just curious, I would assume they treat them pretty well.

Does anyone know how the ship handles the people they rescue? What if the ship is full? Do they make them get off at the next port? Charge them?

I assume they stay Onboard until coast guard comes to get them and then continue on to their destination

Its a none issue since they were only a day from port. I'm sure they ship doctors checked them out and they were given a change of clothes. They could fly back home from Bermuda. Their boat is another story, since they abandoned their vessel is basically finders keepers. I'm not sure is Bermuda has Sea Tow or something to the same effect however 230 miles a a long way to tow a small sailboat back. If the coast guard thinks it will be a danger in the shipping lanes they will sink it

Makes sense, thanks!

Shame about the boat.

Happens every year during the Newport to Bermuda or Annapolis to Bermuda race. Had a friend who did the Annapolis run 3 years ago. They got halfway there and then the winds died. Three days later they ran into bad storms and were lucky to make it to Norfolk.

Archived