The Love Boat

I was doing a little research for my book today to find a bit of info on the "Love Boat"... the TV series that is credited with increasing the popularity of cruising in the United States. While searching I found out that the "Love Boat" (the original Pacific Princess) was sold for scrap back in March... a sad day. But wait! The company that bought her defaulted on payment and she is for sale again.

Would you cruise on the original "Love Boat" if she was brought back to being cruise ready.

Here a link to a story about her.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/06/love-boat-pacific-princess-cruise/714251/1?csp=34travel&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomTravel-TopStories+%28Travel+-+Top+Stories%29

This is the link mentioned in the story for pictures of the "Love Boat" today.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Pacific/G1773,A12714

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

Here a link to a story about her.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/06/love-boat-pacific-princess-cruise/714251/1?csp=34travel&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomTravel-TopStories+%28Travel+-+Top+Stories%29

This is the link mentioned in the story for pictures of the "Love Boat" today.

http://mediagallery.usatoday.com/Cruise+Ship+Tours/Pacific/G1773,A12714

Bob

Memories of Naked Fanny

• 1 month later...

Had a winderful time sailing NYC to Bermuda on her in 2001. It was about 3 weeks before 9/11. Hvae some beautiful pics of the WTC.

After what happened, was glad I went!!.....Karen

PS: We had a cabin on the Port side with a picture window. If you look at the ship, we were in the 3rd cabin (5 pic windows, middle one)

• 2 weeks later...
I have never sailed on the LoveBoat but now my girlfriend insists we should try it on our next cruise holidays, it will be a new experience, does it have all the same activities as the other cruises?

The ship no longer sails hun, she was sold for scrap but has had a little re-prieve. Look at the OP pictures, they are wonderful and shows what she once looked like and her sad state now. Wish we had been cruising when she was around. It would be nice to see someone fix her up again.

The ship no longer sails hun, she was sold for scrap but has had a little re-prieve. Look at the OP pictures, they are wonderful and shows what she once looked like and her sad state now. Wish we had been cruising when she was around. It would be nice to see someone fix her up again.

Actually she wasn't scrapped, the scrapping company defaulted on payment, so once again she is laid up.

Edited by CruiseAdict218

Actually she wasn't scrapped, the scrapping company defaulted on payment, so once again she is laid up.

yes that's what a meant about her reprieve and that it would be nice if someone fixed her up. Seems fate is on the old girl's side and doesn't want her to go without a fight.

She will be sold for scrap to someone eventually. Despite her fame, she is old and has no balcony cabins, zip lines or rock climbing walls. It's a shame, but it is what it is.

I wish she could be saved, even as a floating hotel such as Queen Mary or Rotterdam V, but in this economy I do not see it happening.

I am SO happy to have a folder of cruise material (daily programs, notices, menus, etc.) from a Sea Venture cruise, that I got from my in laws. A prized possession!

• 2 months later...

I sailed on the Sun Princess in 1976 to Alaska and I was told that the Sun Princess was the ship that they used to film the pilot episode (Movie) of the Love Boat. When it became a series they started using the Pacific Princess.

I still have the original brochure of the ships from 1976. I remember seeing her for the first time and thinking how big it was. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My first cruise was on the Island Princess in 1983 which is sister to Pacific. Acapulco to L.A. with one stop in Cabo San Lucas. We were amazed at how small the cabins were. In our cabin luckily was a book describing how the cabins seen on the TV show were made for TV and the true cabins were much smaller

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We cruised her in 2002-dinky cabins twin beds bolted to the walls, not a lot to do but we LOVED her for nostalgic reasons alone. After all, it was the TV show she was in that got us crusing in the first place.

I would love to see her made into a floating museum/hotel. They did that with the Delta Queen since she can no longer cruise being made of wood. She is docked in Chattanooga, TN and we stayed there for our 29th anniversary.

The Delta King is a hotel in Sacramento, California and is the sister ship to the Delta Queen. The original Queen Mary (Cunard) is in LA and is a hotel, museum, and has retaurants and bars. They also had the Princess Diana exhibit on her recently.

I know the Love Boat has dinky rooms-but if some were remoleded to make larger rooms and she had a museum showing things from the TV show, I think she could make it. Heck in England, we had rooms as dinky as hers including the bathrooms! So surely she could make it as a hotel there. (they could put in murphey beds) Move her somewhere like Dover and people would love staying on her the night before boarding a cruise. I would!

Move her somewhere like Dover and people would love staying on her the night before boarding a cruise. I would!

I think you may be on to something. ..A hotel ship docked at an embarkation port. One could enjoy coffee on deck to watch the arrival of their ship. Luggage could be forwarded to the terminal.

Cruise lines could use retired ships for pre and post cruise hotel service.

I think you may be on to something. ..A hotel ship docked at an embarkation port. One could enjoy coffee on deck to watch the arrival of their ship. Luggage could be forwarded to the terminal.

Cruise lines could use retired ships for pre and post cruise hotel service.

The Queen Mary is near the Carnival dock in LA I understand. We are considering a Princess cruise out of LA but we may still do the Queen Mary for a hotel.

Your saying that reminds me of when we took a cruise out Of San Juan 12 years ago. We stayed on after the cruise at a hotel near one of the beaches post cruise.The night after we disembarked we watched our ship sail out from the beach by our hotel-it was so neat to see that with the ship all lighted up.

• 5 months later...

Hello my cruise lovin' friends... I started this thread a bit over a year ago. I guess for me, hope springs eternal. When I first wrote this, I kinda hoped that there would be some kind of ground swell of sentiment to save the Love Boat.

Well... I'm sorry to say that it didn't happen. The Love Boat has been sold for scrap once again. Now it has made it's way to Turkey where it will be dismantled.

Here's the USA Today story.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/08/08/love-boat-cruise-ship/2630821/

Sad for all of us. But perhaps we will all get to sail on her when we get to Kokomo.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Hello my cruise lovin' friends... I started this thread a bit over a year ago. I guess for me, hope springs eternal. When I first wrote this, I kinda hoped that there would be some kind of ground swell of sentiment to save the Love Boat.

Well... I'm sorry to say that it didn't happen. The Love Boat has been sold for scrap once again. Now it has made it's way to Turkey where it will be dismantled.

Here's the USA Today story.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2013/08/08/love-boat-cruise-ship/2630821/

Sad for all of us. But perhaps we will all get to sail on her when we get to Kokomo.

Bob

Searching for Kokomo

Yes, the Wikipedia said she left July 27th so chances are she is already scrap or at least well on the way.

Heartbreaking.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the privilage of living and working on the Love Boat, Pacific Princess in 1999 for 7 months. Will always be a special ship, and so sad to see it in Turkey. It would have been nice for someone to purchase the ship and convert it into a hotel, but it had been left in Genoa for so long the ship was beyond repair, and looks like it only just made it to Turkey.

RIP :(

Had the privilage of living and working on the Love Boat, Pacific Princess in 1999 for 7 months. Will always be a special ship, and so sad to see it in Turkey. It would have been nice for someone to purchase the ship and convert it into a hotel, but it had been left in Genoa for so long the ship was beyond repair, and looks like it only just made it to Turkey.

RIP :(

Yes, she is beyond saving now

• 1 month later...

So sad to see her gone, my first cruise was on the Pacific Princess, The Love Boat. I was twenty something and the room was so small they could not put the beds together, they had to stay in an L shape. We pulled the mattresses off each night and slept together on the floor!:) n There was only a main dining room but we had an officer and his wife sharing our table every night!

Edited by West Coast Gal

So sad to see her gone, my first cruise was on the Pacific Princess, The Love Boat. I was twenty something and the room was so small they could not put the beds together, they had to stay in an L shape. We pulled the mattresses off each night and slept together on the floor!:) n There was only a main dining room but we had an officer and his wife sharing our table every night!

RCI Sovereign of the Seas had even smaller rooms but the beds could be put together if one of you did not mind being crammed against the wall. Hubby and I decided it was okay to "visit" each other and then for the actual sleeping have separate beds.

However, the beds were bolted in position on Pacific Princess, otherwise we would have wanted them together as we would have had room to walk around the beds. Not much, but more so then on RCI SOS. We would not one of us be crammed against the wall. I think before they got stabilizers in newer ships, it was the custom that beds were bolted down on ships.

• 2 weeks later...

My bf is going on his first cruise in a few weeks with me. We met while working for CBS Television so relate a lot of life to tv stuff or making tv. Which is odd b/c we really don't watch tv much although he does still make it.

Anyways, I was telling him how some consider it bad etiquette to refer to the ship as a boat. He turns to me and starts singing the Love Boat theme but saying the Love Ship...nope just doesn't work. I guess that might have been a tv mistake in the day...lol.

I would have loved to have visited the Love Boat. It showed me what to expect while cruising and made me want to go.

• 1 month later...