Parking in New York for Carnival Cruise?

asalligo

I know $35 a night is expensive, but think about it. Would you rather find a slightly cheaper parking lot, leave your car there, and have to cab/walk to the port for your cruise? Or would you rather pay $35, have your car secured and have your cruise ship RIGHT beside you?

I was on the Miracle out of NYC on May 30th and paid $280 to park there for 8 nights. It was WELL worth it. I am leaving on July 25th for the Miracle out of NYC again and will be parking there once more.

Bottom line is...if you have money for a cruise- you can afford parking at the cruise port.

Check out the East Coast Departure threads. We're doing an Oct cruise out of Manhattan and leaving our car in a hotel parking lot free for 8 days. Several reputable hotels offer free parking (others charge, but nowhere near $35 per day).

Btw, this still leaves us needing a way to get to the port. In our case, we have our 3 yr old DGD with us which reduces options. Some other cruisers are talking about staying in Staten Island hotels (with free parking), and taking a ferry that goes close to the port.

PS: I would personally trust the hotel lots as much as I'd trust the port parking.

For us....Amtrak and a cab was cheaper!

Would you believe: Amtrak would be cheaper. Only problem is, of the 4 trains which would fit our schedule from Syracuse, none allow luggage to be checked!

Don't think I could do an 8 day cruise with only a carry on.

Where are you coming from? If you are coming from the South or West, you could park in Weehawken and take the ferry to NYC.

Parking at the ferry in Weehawken is $10/night. The ferry is $9 per person each way so the toral would be $106 a week including the ferry for 2 people. And you would not have to pay for the tunnel.

The ferry leaves you about 15 blocks from the ship. You can walk it, take advantage of their free bus the would leave you a few blocks from the ship or take a cab.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Check out the East Coast Departure threads. We're doing an Oct cruise out of Manhattan and leaving our car in a hotel parking lot free for 8 days. Several reputable hotels offer free parking (others charge, but nowhere near $35 per day).

Btw, this still leaves us needing a way to get to the port. In our case, we have our 3 yr old DGD with us which reduces options. Some other cruisers are talking about staying in Staten Island hotels (with free parking), and taking a ferry that goes close to the port.

PS: I would personally trust the hotel lots as much as I'd trust the port parking.

Are these hotels in NYC????

Every Amtrak train I've been on has at least one car with about ten feet on one end that is open for wheelchairs, skis, golf clubs etc. Just ask the conductor to direct you to that one.

It is a short and easy cab ride from Penn Station to the cruise terminal. A word of caution if traveling from Connecticut or the Hudson River Valley, the Metro North trains go to Grand Central Terminal not Penn Station, and they do not have luggage space.

How about a park/shuttle/fly parking lot near one of the airports, and then catch a carnival shuttle from the airport? Or cab it? I for giggles and the rates are from $16 a day at some locations? (JFK)..not familiar with which airport is closer to the cruise terminal..

Actually, for the convenience and the location it is worth it. The other suggestion for parking at an airport hotel and taking the shuttle to the ship will cost nearly the same. We will probably do that in Mar., 2013 though. In that case we depart from NYC---cruise (Panama Canal) for 15 days and fly back to JFK. But on a normal cruise it is nice to pull into the dock and see your car. This picture we took on a former cruise gives you an idea of how close the lot is.

IMG0204.jpg

Edited by chocolate melting cake

I will be driving down from Vermont. I have 4 days off in August and am always looking for a cruise that works for our schedule. This cruise works perfectly for our schedule, but the wife is very resistant on spending the $2000 this cruise would run us, so any additional fees are a very sensitive issue. We will probably end up just doing something cheaper to my dismay.

I could certainly take the Amtrak train in from the north and then a cab, but frankly for a family of four, I am not sure that saves me any money. I was hoping for a nice hotel with shuttle a couple of miles from the pier, but it would appear New York is not the place for that.

Edited by asalligo
Spelling

Would you believe: Amtrak would be cheaper. Only problem is, of the 4 trains which would fit our schedule from Syracuse, none allow luggage to be checked!

Don't think I could do an 8 day cruise with only a carry on.

It is possible to do an 8 day with carryon & tote. Pack for 4 days and rewear everything. Mix and match and no taking any 'just in case' clothing. Utilize laundry and limit shoes. Streamline the beauty routine.

I agree with all who said that the $35/night fee, while high, is worth it from the convenience standpoint. I looked into all available options (bus, train, limo, shuttle, taxi, hotel, etc.) and came to the conclusion that driving yourself (we are from South Jersey) & parking ADJACENT TO THE PIER is so much more convenient than all the messy, schedule-restricted public transportation options.

You're going on a cruise! Just bite the bullet, cut back somewhere else if you must (bar bill, photography, Bingo, souvenirs) and enjoy!

• 3 years later...

There is commuter parking on the Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel. People

park there and take a bus that goes directly through tunnel into Port Authority

Bus Terminal.....on a daily basis.

Port Authority is a 5 minute cab ride to the cruise ships, so taxi fare will

be reasonable......and tons of taxis are waiting for you on the weekend.

Suggest you contact NYC Port Authority to find out details on timing

and fares. Which should save you quite a bit of dough. Your drive would

be on New Jersey Turnpike south to Lincoln Tunnel exit (Route 495) instead

of into Manhattan.