Spa Pushing Products

MomofBoyz

I wanted to pass this on from another thread.

In my first few experiences with Spa Carnival, my experiences were clouded with the massive "upsell" pressure to buy product.

Having been in sales, I am not a hater so I won't bust on the girls for trying to earn a little extra money and do well.

However, I found a solution that has really helped me to enjoy my spa day and has helped the person working as well. Wanted to pass it on!

Before my masseuse and I even get started, I learned to tell my "therapist" or "artisan" or "clinician" or whatever they are called that cruise that I am there to relax and have no plans to buy product. However, that is their job and they are trying to be good employees plus make a living.

So, I tell my person before they begin that I would like to give them an additional $10 in cash if they just don't try to sell me any product. I figure they get around 10% of sales so they are just as well off as if I'd bought $100 in toner, exfoliator, spot remover, stain lifter, whatever. They are always, always amenable! One thanked me for taking the pressure off of her but also for understanding that they are expected to earn part of their living through the sales.

It might not help their sales totals per se, but I feel good about helping them and for $10, we're both happy.

It's funny that you posted this because we have only visited the spa once for a massage and of course they tried to sell us everything under the sun. We said no of course, but it's just a pain having to sit there and listen to them go on and on.

I plan on using the spa again on my upcoming cruise and was thinking of how I could prevent this, but be nice at the same time. I will be sure to say something along those lines as well. We will definitely tip a little extra just for the added relaxation!

Just an FYI: Spa personell know to put pressure on first timers to buy products. Their first question is have you ever been to a ship spa...if you answer yes, and give them the impression you aren't interested in their sales pitch, they will leave you alone. They love first time cruisers! So beware!

I wanted to pass this on from another thread.

In my first few experiences with Spa Carnival, my experiences were clouded with the massive "upsell" pressure to buy product.

Having been in sales, I am not a hater so I won't bust on the girls for trying to earn a little extra money and do well.

However, I found a solution that has really helped me to enjoy my spa day and has helped the person working as well. Wanted to pass it on!

Before my masseuse and I even get started, I learned to tell my "therapist" or "artisan" or "clinician" or whatever they are called that cruise that I am there to relax and have no plans to buy product. However, that is their job and they are trying to be good employees plus make a living.

So, I tell my person before they begin that I would like to give them an additional $10 in cash if they just don't try to sell me any product. I figure they get around 10% of sales so they are just as well off as if I'd bought $100 in toner, exfoliator, spot remover, stain lifter, whatever. They are always, always amenable! One thanked me for taking the pressure off of her but also for understanding that they are expected to earn part of their living through the sales.

It might not help their sales totals per se, but I feel good about helping them and for $10, we're both happy.

Just an FYI.... They're not just "trying to earn a little extra money and do well". They are under HUGE amounts of pressure from their parent company Steiner to sell products. If they don't hit certain numbers, they are forced to stay in the spa after hours (after a 12-14 hour sea day) for "training" on how to sell more. Most would rather just concentrate on giving the treatment but have to attempt to sell as well. You would also be surprised how little their commission is on a service (was under 10%).

My ex girlfriend worked there for 4 years... first hand knowledge....

When I went to the ship spa they ask me to fill out some paperwork, basically asking if I had allergies, ever had a massage before, where does it hurt, are you under a lotta stress, etc. Realized after the fact that your answers are partially what they use to pitch you products.

Think I let the spa lady ask me no more than 3 questions, then I gently told her that I had no intention of buying anything so instead of pitching to me she might want to use that extra time to take a longer break between customers if she wasn't going to use it working on me. She LOL but didn't ask me any more questions after that, and I did give her a better tip because of that - but I didn't offer it up beforehand, either.

It is terrible that they make them stay "after school" to train to sell more product. I can't say I've ever had a bad treatment or massage at Spa Carnival. It's always been very decent....just the product pushing that tempted me to skip it.

I always tip when the service is good. Maybe they girls I've given the extra to were just grateful to get a break from the hard sell.

My first cruise I partook in spa services - never again! I could not enjoy it because the whole time they spoke to me about what I "needed" in the way of products... I have found that you can easily find a good massage in port that is much more relaxing and less expensive than on board.

Just an FYI: Spa personell know to put pressure on first timers to buy products. Their first question is have you ever been to a ship spa...if you answer yes, and give them the impression you aren't interested in their sales pitch, they will leave you alone. They love first time cruisers! So beware!

That totally makes sense. My husband and I love the spa and actually think we've received our best treatments on cruises. I say this makes sense because our first cruise together they could probably tell that we hadn't gone to the spa much and they threw a sales pitch but I don't remember it being totally annoying, we just said we weren't interested. It was smart how they went about it because they wanted us to buy something to give each other massages and asked if we could commit to doing it. It was like how do I say no I'm not going to use this on my spouse... LOL but we still said no.

I guess I don't let pressure get to me.

So our last cruise the therapists probably knew we were cruising a repeat customer. They didn't give any sales pitch what-so-ever. We enjoyed it so much we booked a second couples massage. Yikes expensive but oh well.

I already have a couples massage booked for our next cruise. Maybe I'll try the tip thing and I'll for sure mention we do it every cruise.

And as far as the questionaire, we typically just list some minor aches or something so there isn't really anything for them to focus on or go on and on with questions about.

Why encourage the Steiner model? Just don't go to their spas or spas like them that push retail.

Find a local spa/ therapist and give them your business. You can have a treatment before the vacation and BEST when you return after dealing with all the travel back home for the price of one treatment on the ship. Plus you are supporting a local business.

The last few times I haven't gotten any sales pitch. On my last cruise, after the massage, I got dressed but instead of waiting in the room for the masseuse to return, I went out to the lobby area. I think she was a little disappointed, but she just gave me a list of 3 items she recommended for me. That was it.

The worst sales pitch I got was by the fitness director person when I went for one of those body fat seminars. She kept trying to sell me some cream and a cactus brush to open up my pores and let the toxins out. I might have been more annoyed if it hadn't been so comical.

I do like the idea of supporting local businesses. Might try that.

We often stay on the ship on Port Days, though, and that's when the best deals seem to emerge.

I agree that the more I learn about the company running the spa, the less I like.

The last few times I haven't gotten any sales pitch. On my last cruise, after the massage, I got dressed but instead of waiting in the room for the masseuse to return, I went out to the lobby area. I think she was a little disappointed, but she just gave me a list of 3 items she recommended for me. That was it.

The worst sales pitch I got was by the fitness director person when I went for one of those body fat seminars. She kept trying to sell me some cream and a cactus brush to open up my pores and let the toxins out. I might have been more annoyed if it hadn't been so comical.

I love their explanations of toxins. Ask a few semi serious questions and love the nonsense that comes back at you.

People are trying to talk me into trying a massage. I think I'd HATE it but I might try it out just to say I did.

The first few words out of my mouth will be "I'm not buying anything."

I love their explanations of toxins. Ask a few semi serious questions and love the nonsense that comes back at you.

YES! Ditto! I sort of feel bad for them, but the garbage that they feed back is astounding!

My first cruise in 2008, I was so excited and wanted to try everything! Had a facial in the spa, and got the hard sell, and it worked! I bought about $300 worth of "stuff" that is probably still somewhere in my bathroom! Then later went for a manicure that was $45 and poorly done. My Sign and Sail account was ridiculously high, and it was only a four day cruise! I learned my lesson though, and have never set foot in the spa again. Like another poster said, have your beauty treatments and massages done before the cruise and use your local providers. Or get the massages they have on beaches at various ports and pay much less.

YES! Ditto! I sort of feel bad for them, but the garbage that they feed back is astounding!

they are trained to act as experts telling you how wonderful their stuff is.

The truth of the matter is if it was so wonderful all the stores will be selling the stuff.

Before I started my new $10 regime, I was told that my skin was a wreck and that I needed some kind of clarifier and exfoliant.

I wear sunscreen, no make up and use only a light soap and lotion so I knew very early on that my "wrecked" skin was a scam.

Again, I feel for the workers who feel the pressure to put on the pressure. That's got to be tough.

I am going to take someone's tip and look into treatments in Nassau. Normally, I don't leave the boat but maybe I'll branch out. Seen enough of Nassau over the years and no desire to see it again.

For comparison, I use spas in Las Vegas, like QUA at Caesars. Immaculate space, great treatments and NO product sales, none. That's the model CCL should use. They would get more happy customers, no?

Archived