New To NCL? Help!!!

tekman26

While my kids are grown, I just came back from a cruise on the Pearl and it seems that the kids (esp the younger ones) were having a blast. All week they were working on their part for the one of the final shows in the theatre. I also saw them being served burgers and fries in the MDR. There is a special kids section in the Garden Cafe where the buffet is kid level and filled with things like Mac and Cheese- also the tables and chairs there were also kid sized. I also heard some parents saying that they were having problems getting the kids to leave the club area. My observations are that NCL (and the Pearl) know how to please the kids.

Just a slight clarification to an earlier post... There's a $15 charge for the 750 mL wine bottles (larger size bottles are more), and there's no limit to how many you can bring on.

Here's the latest PDF of dining options for the NCL ships: http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_05212012.pdf

Thanks for the pdf of dining options.

I have not read all of the responses, but I agree with the ones I have read. :D

I just wanted to add one small thing.....

I loved The Pearl when I sailed her a couple of years ago with my mother and my two kids also Thanksgiving week. It was my mother's first cruise and I thought I'd never get her off the ship! Then again, I really do love the NCL product overall, so I didn't expect this to be any different.

That said, this was probably my least favorite cruise. It had nothing to do with NCL or even the ship, but the crowds were like nothing I've experienced before or since, and the Kids Club was so crowded that mine didn't even want to go. That was unusual, because usually I can't get my younger daughter to leave. I did read that yours don't really like the Kids Club anyway, so it probably won't be an issue for you, but just in case I thought I'd get it out there anyway.

So for me and my family, holiday cruising is off the table forever, I think. But if you for some reason don't have the time of your life (which I cannot even imagine!), consider that maybe it's the week of your cruise and not the ship or cruise line.

Have a great trip!

For the OP, just wondering how you were able to get the kids sail free promotion for Thanksgiving week. The website does not list that week on the Pearl as an option for kids sail free.:confused:

We have booked a cruise on the Pearl for the week of Thanksgiving. This will be the first time we are going to try NCL and was wanting to know what we should expect (i.e. service, things to do with young kids)

We have sailed on RCCL, CCL and Princess in the past and our reason for this trip was the cost. Could not turn down the option to sail with the kids tickets being free (sort of).

Things I am curious about are dining options? Entertainment? Kids Program? And any other incite about NCL?

ok, here is my 2 cents worth; I haven't read the other responses so I may be repeating myslef. The Pearl, though the cabins are small is a great ship. I don't think the cabins are much different from the ones we have had on Princess or RCL though. The kids program is exellant. Of course sailing during Thanksgiving week will bring its own challenges, if you haven't done this before. The ship will be filled with kids, which is alright, but can cause over crowded kids programs, pools and dining rooms.

We love NCLs entertainment in the main showroom. It is much better than Princess but princess has more choices.

Food is so subjective; it is hard to judge. Like most lines, there are 2 main dining rooms. The difference is: because of totally freestyle you can eat in either at anytime. Neither are reserved for any particular seating. There also are other choices: of course the buffet, room service, the Great Outdoors (usually behind the buffet or near the pool area) and Blue Lagoon which is a favorite of many, especially the young teens. The Pearl has several extra pay dining rooms, ranging in price from $10 a person to about $25. You should try at least one, but don't think you need to eat in them every night. The MDRs do offer a good selection. Hope this helps a little: I know you are getting all kinds of responses I am sure.

Just a slight clarification to an earlier post... There's a $15 charge for the 750 mL wine bottles (larger size bottles are more), and there's no limit to how many you can bring on.

Here's the latest PDF of dining options for the NCL ships: http://www2.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_05212012.pdf

you are right, but as for larger bottles; we have never been charged the extra. this doesnt mean they don't, we just have not had to pay more than the $15.

I have not read all of the responses, but I agree with the ones I have read. :D

I just wanted to add one small thing.....

I loved The Pearl when I sailed her a couple of years ago with my mother and my two kids also Thanksgiving week. It was my mother's first cruise and I thought I'd never get her off the ship! Then again, I really do love the NCL product overall, so I didn't expect this to be any different.

That said, this was probably my least favorite cruise. It had nothing to do with NCL or even the ship, but the crowds were like nothing I've experienced before or since, and the Kids Club was so crowded that mine didn't even want to go. That was unusual, because usually I can't get my younger daughter to leave. I did read that yours don't really like the Kids Club anyway, so it probably won't be an issue for you, but just in case I thought I'd get it out there anyway.

So for me and my family, holiday cruising is off the table forever, I think. But if you for some reason don't have the time of your life (which I cannot even imagine!), consider that maybe it's the week of your cruise and not the ship or cruise line.

Have a great trip!

This would be our 4th cruise during Thanksgiving. So, we don't worry about the crowds or amount of kids. Works better since the older daughter is a social butterfly. We are going to try to see if they want to go to the kids club but honestly not the biggest deal in the world since we are at sea for only 2 days. The rest the kids will be with us any how.

For the OP, just wondering how you were able to get the kids sail free promotion for Thanksgiving week. The website does not list that week on the Pearl as an option for kids sail free.:confused:

Called my TA and had them check the prices for the cruise? Was cheaper then any of the other trips for 4 and even tried this online and was the same price.

I have been on two NCL ships now, the Jewel and Epic (The Jewel is very similar to the Pearl). The kids will have fun, as there is a waterslide at the pool area, kids clubs, and plenty more of activities to do! Also, NCL ships are very kid friendly, I remember in the Garden Cafe (Buffet Dining Area), there is even an area set aside for the kids own little 'mini buffet'. Adults will have fun too, there is so much for you to do! You just really have to get on the ship to see what the ship has to offer.

TheCruisingQueen :D

Past Cruises:Norwegian Jewel (November 2009), Norwegian Epic (March 2011), Royal Caribbean Allure of the seas (September 2011), Celebrity Equinox (March 2012)

Cruises coming up soon:

New England cruise, can

countdown.pl?image=Beach-10&name=TheCruisingQueen&date=2-22-2013&text=Can

We'll I am sure we are going to have fun. Just want to make sure I know what we are getting into with NCL compared to the other lines.

Can someone tell me what the cost of the photos are?

Do they serve other drinks like Ice Tea/Lemonade?

Can anyone tell me what the cost for photos are?

Do they serve other drinks like Ice Tea or Lemonade for free at lunch and dinner?

Can I pre-pay for a specialty restaurant prior to going on the ship?

Can anyone tell me what the cost for photos are?

Do they serve other drinks like Ice Tea or Lemonade for free at lunch and dinner?

Can I pre-pay for a specialty restaurant prior to going on the ship?

You can make reservations for the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Your credit card will be charged when you make the reservation.

Yes, there is iced tea available. On some ships, I have been able to get lemonade, fruit punch and now there are flavored water options being tried out.

Photos are expensive. Can't remember the exact cost but want to say $19.95. We purchased a smaller one for $14.95 of our family at LeBistro and I left it on the plane ride home. That is the only picture we have purchased on NCL.

You can make reservations for the specialty restaurants ahead of time. Your credit card will be charged when you make the reservation.

Yes, there is iced tea available. On some ships, I have been able to get lemonade, fruit punch and now there are flavored water options being tried out.

Photos are expensive. Can't remember the exact cost but want to say $19.95. We purchased a smaller one for $14.95 of our family at LeBistro and I left it on the plane ride home. That is the only picture we have purchased on NCL.

Where do we pay for the specialty restaurant at? I looked under my cruise infomation on NCL website and was not able to locate it.

Glad to hear the have some choices mainly for the kids. We try not to give them any soda.

The prices are normal for the cruise line. In the normal price range as the other cruise lines. Just wanted to have an idea on cost.

Where do we pay for the specialty restaurant at? I looked under my cruise infomation on NCL website and was not able to locate it.

Glad to hear the have some choices mainly for the kids. We try not to give them any soda.

The prices are normal for the cruise line. In the normal price range as the other cruise lines. Just wanted to have an idea on cost.

Are you within 45 days of sailing? If not, you cannot make reservations until that time.

A lot of people bring those little flavored packets to add to the water.

Are you within 45 days of sailing? If not, you cannot make reservations until that time.

A lot of people bring those little flavored packets to add to the water.

No, we don't set sail till thanksgiving week. And, I have brought those things in the past and they ended up just staying in my suitcase bag.

Archived