Sewing Clothes For A Cruise

For a ready made sleeveless dress, by the front armhole, there is a slight gap.

( when the dress is on me)

Suggestions on fixing this?

It is not major so I can wear the dress "as is":rolleyes:

What about taking in a slight dart that begins in the armhole and angles down? I guess point the dart toward the bust, but probably start it where the most gap is?

What about taking in a slight dart that begins in the armhole and angles down? I guess point the dart toward the bust, but probably start it where the most gap is?

That's what I would do too. I'd also remove the armhole facing at that area and dart it as well to remove the excess. Sew the facing back to the armseye and you're done. Sounds a lot easier and quicker than it is. :D:p

I find it hard to do alterations. I just never seem to get it right. I rather make it from the start.

Question for all of you. Do you tend to keep using the same patters over and over? I do that a lot. I want to make another kimono top again. This would be the third one. I get afraid to try harder things. My DH says "if it does not come out the way you want it, throw it out, and do something else. But I can't do that!

I find it hard to do alterations. I just never seem to get it right. I rather make it from the start.

Question for all of you. Do you tend to keep using the same patters over and over? I do that a lot. I want to make another kimono top again. This would be the third one. I get afraid to try harder things. My DH says "if it does not come out the way you want it, throw it out, and do something else. But I can't do that!

I have a few "tried and true" TNT patterns. Mostly tee shirts and simple pants and skirts, but I also like to challenge myself. I say, go for the same pattern if you like the way it fits and feels, but don't be afraid to try new things. I usually make a muslin (trial garment) before I cut into some fabric I'm really fond of when making a new pattern. Your did a terrific job on that kimono top so I think you can handle a trickier garment. Remember.....it's only fabric!

I have a few "tried and true" TNT patterns. Mostly tee shirts and simple pants and skirts, but I also like to challenge myself. I say, go for the same pattern if you like the way it fits and feels, but don't be afraid to try new things. I usually make a muslin (trial garment) before I cut into some fabric I'm really fond of when making a new pattern. Your did a terrific job on that kimono top so I think you can handle a trickier garment. Remember.....it's only fabric!

Thank you very much for the encouragement. I tend not to branch out too much with different patterns. I but lots of pattern but all ways stick to the same ones. The kimono top was new for me and after I did it I brought more fabric for it. So, I will use up the fabric. I think I have enough for two more.

Trying a pattern in muslin is a great idea. I can make all my mistakes on that and not on the good fabric. There was another top patter I saw the other day. Will post a link.

http://butterick.mccall.com/b6056-products-48575.php?page_id=366

I think the neck line might be too low.

Edited by geocruiser

For a ready made sleeveless dress, by the front armhole, there is a slight gap.

( when the dress is on me)

Suggestions on fixing this?

It is not major so I can wear the dress "as is":rolleyes:

Obviously from my posts in this thread, I am all over alterations.... :D

I thought the dart would be a good solution, too, but it will show. Not knowing the fabric, I don't know if this would interrupt the print, or affect the way the fabric looks.

Look at the shoulder seam up top. Taking it up just in the front will raise the neckline, too, but also pull that bodice up to the right level. These gaps are usually from the bust not being placed properly over "the girls". So, if the gap goes away by pulling up slightly at each shoulder in the front, then that might be your solution.

I have a gorgeous tank that I bought recently (see pictures), but it was way too loose and low in the front. I couldn't take it apart (yet another sheer fabric, but waaaaay too complicated to tear apart), so I took the front up at the shoulder seams. Since I wear a jacket with the tank, the extra fold at the shoulder is invisible. I wore it for formal night on my recent cruise, and it was very comfortable and classy looking. It has a cami-tank underneath it with tiny straps that snap together around the shoulder of the cami, so I was NOT going to mess with that. The solution is fine with a jacket over it.

654986743_greentank1.jpg.40c76572fd6b4fa691a46e1f9b71d0c4.jpg

626128851_greentank2.jpg.97d69f77fd228ea1b0849926c61e56b2.jpg

What an awesome thread this is! I have a Janome sewing/embroidery machine and a BL serger. I like to make fun zipper/tote bags for cruising and have thought about getting back to sewing clothes for me. All your posts, ideas and tips, and photos of some really cute pieces have inspired me! Sewing cruise outfits would be a fun place to start!

What an awesome thread this is! I have a Janome sewing/embroidery machine and a BL serger. I like to make fun zipper/tote bags for cruising and have thought about getting back to sewing clothes for me. All your posts, ideas and tips, and photos of some really cute pieces have inspired me! Sewing cruise outfits would be a fun place to start!

Get the sewing machine and serger out and start sewing. Make a piece of clothing and a tote bag to match! What company is BL? I use Viking sewing/embroidery machines. I just brought a new Viking sewing machine in Feb. But that is in our winter home. I love using a serger . It is a easy way to finish a seam.

What company is BL?

Baby Lock. Great machines. I'd love to have one with jet-air threading. I own Janome products at present but I'm thinking it's almost time to upgrade.......better start saving now. However, I could buy a cruise with that money. Decisions.......too many hobbies\not enough cash :D:D

However, I could buy a cruise with that money. Decisions.......too many hobbies\not enough cash :D:D

Isn't that the truth about some of the new machines! I'd love to upgrade too but since the ones I currently have do the job, I'm sticking with cruising for now! Haha!

Machines are so expense. I hardly do any embroidery with my machine. Most of my fabrics are too bold and printed, to add anything to.I have a Viking Designer 1. It is older but does the job. I really do love the machine. My other new machine does not do embroidery. The machines are getting to be so much money. They are a lot of machine too. I took a class on a Diamond Deluxe Viking machine. (about 9 to $10,000). But way too much money for things I will not use.

(about 9 to $10,000). But way too much money for things I will not use.

Exactly! I know I would never used an embroidery feature, although I appreciate that others enjoy that. Almost all my sewing is garment making with the occasional Home Dec project (which I hate). I want a machine with some bells and whistles that is geared for the type of sewing I do. I don't quilt, so even though my machine has a large flat bed I'd rather have a free arm. It's hard to find a computerized machine that isn't geared to either quilting or embroidery. One of the reasons that I'm sticking with my Janome 6500 for now. It really does a great job for me and is a work horse. Now jet air threading on a serger ---I drool.

Exactly! I know I would never used an embroidery feature, although I appreciate that others enjoy that. Almost all my sewing is garment making with the occasional Home Dec project (which I hate). I want a machine with some bells and whistles that is geared for the type of sewing I do. I don't quilt, so even though my machine has a large flat bed I'd rather have a free arm. It's hard to find a computerized machine that isn't geared to either quilting or embroidery. One of the reasons that I'm sticking with my Janome 6500 for now. It really does a great job for me and is a work horse. Now jet air threading on a serger ---I drool.

I only use the embroidery feature of my machine about 1% in my sewing. But I love the sewing features it has. My friends use the embroidery all the time. I like sewing garments too. I use fabric that all ways have prints on it. Most of them are way to bust to put a embroidery on it.

I do use my serger on all my garments. I would not like to sew with out it.

Hi

I have just finished a pair of trousers, long, wide, flowing in black with small white pokadot pattern, and a matching drape halterneck top in the same fabric , but red with white dots.

I have taken up the hems on two shop bought evening gowns, and have started making a cocktail dress with red bodice ( lined and boned) with black and white skirt.

If time will make a couple of pairs of shorts.

I havent made much for me to wear in the past, my sewing history is dance costumes and tutus, the only bits done for self have been dresses for ballroom and latin dance comps and exams

Hi

I have just finished a pair of trousers, long, wide, flowing in black with small white pokadot pattern, and a matching drape halterneck top in the same fabric , but red with white dots.

I have taken up the hems on two shop bought evening gowns, and have started making a cocktail dress with red bodice ( lined and boned) with black and white skirt.

If time will make a couple of pairs of shorts.

I havent made much for me to wear in the past, my sewing history is dance costumes and tutus, the only bits done for self have been dresses for ballroom and latin dance comps and exams

WOW! the clothing you made sounds great. You must be a great sewer. Are you able to post any pictures of them? Would just love to see what you made.

I love the use of two different poke-a-dot colors. Must look great. And the best part, no one else on your cruise will have the same outfit!